Most powerful CPU's... From AM2+?

Hi Ltt forums!

I wanted to know which AM2+ processors are the best but 95 watt or under (If you can link me 65 watt, do it! pretty plz) . I also like you to answer these questions:

1.Do AM2 processors work on AM2+ motherboards?

2.Do AM3 processors work on AM2+ motherboards?

3. I know that AM2+ processors work with AM2 motherboards but, Do AM3 processors work on AM2 with the updated BIOS?

For number 3. I have seen a lot of controversies saying that yes and saying no. I am really confused.

Don't tell me to get a decent PC, I have a decent PC. Just a friend of mine had these questions then I Wondered that too.

Also I have a Phenom X3 8250e (Not II series). Is that any close to one of the best ones? Because I think not.

13 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Hi Ltt forums!

I wanted to know which AM2+ processors are the best but 95 watt or under (If you can link me 65 watt, do it! pretty plz) . I also like you to answer these questions:

In theory, with a BIOS update

In theory, with a BIOS update. However I've see that some processors meant for AM3 have a specific AM2+ version due to the memory controller differences.

3. I know that AM2+ processors work with AM2 motherboards but, Do AM3 processors work on AM2 with the updated BIOS?

For number 3. I have seen a lot of controversies saying that yes and saying no. I am really confused.

I found an answer that says yes, but I'll just default to looking to see if the manufacturer says so or something.

The best AM2+ processor that's specifically for AM2+ would have to be the Phenom II X4 940 BE.

Since you mentioned that you wanted a low TDP one, I would check out the Phenom II X4 910e. It has a TDP of 65w, and has pretty high performance for an AM2+ cpu.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

In theory, with a BIOS update

In theory, with a BIOS update. However I've see that some processors meant for AM3 have a specific AM2+ version due to the memory controller differences.

I found an answer that says yes, but I'll just default to looking to see if the manufacturer says so or something.

The best AM2+ processor that's specifically for AM2+ would have to be the Phenom II X4 940 BE.

Thanks for aclaring my questions. That CPU seems very good!

1 minute ago, Gingerking147 said:

Since you mentioned that you wanted a low TDP one, I would check out the Phenom II X4 910e. It has a TDP of 65w, and has pretty high performance for an AM2+ cpu.

Definitely gonna check that out. 

17 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

yes

17 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

maybe. 

if i remember correctly it had a lot to do with the memory controller

first generation AM3 CPUs had DDR2 and DDR3 controller so they could work on AM2+ boards wich only had DDR2 slots.

don't know if they changed that with later generation AM3 CPUs

another important factor i think was power consumption. 

AM3 allowed for a higher CPU power consumption to have headroom for more cores and higher clocks. 

this is what i remember reading about AM3 when the platform was launched - i do not have any personal experience with this particular situation because by that time i had already handed down my AM2 PC and was a very happy owner of a core 2 duo.