Which GTX 680?

GrubbsGrady

Hi. I'm debating whether to get a 2GB or 4GB GTX 680. I only have one monitor but I'll also be hooking my PC up to my 50 inch plasma (not at the same time as the monitor) . Will the extra 4GB make a difference?

I don't believe that it would matter for video ram. What is the Resolution of that 50Inch screen? and are you gaming on that 50 inch screen? All these questions somewhat matter. If your just using your 50" screen for normal pc use. well that wouldn't make a difference at all. If the 50" screen is only a 1080p resolution, than it won't make a difference no matter HOW big the screen is compared to a 24" screen with the same resolution.

Not only that, it will also matter what games your playing too. High Res textures games/options will be the only thing related to the v-ram that would impact it. but 2gb is good enough for a 1080p resolution.

The only things I can personally think of that the v-ram would currently matter are if your running 3D (maybe), 3monitors surround set up, Modding a video game. or running a beast single monitor resolution on a game with crazy high res. textures.

And ofc, Futureproofing yourself.

Hope what my limited knowledge of this helps you. I'm currently trying to figure out the same question but SLI 680 for a 1080p MMO gaming high res. texture. but a lot of support is going for 2gb is good enough. (with an option of 3d too) Agh so much learning to do to pick the right graphic card for yourself hahaha.

As IceSanity touched on briefly, what are you using the 50" screen for? Gaming on it would be damn near pointless unless you're breaking out the Pinball or Minesweeper.

It will probably be useful on Very high resolutions.But other than that i dont think so.

Plasma TVs are still 1080 resolution. I'd probably just save the money and get a 2GB edition.

You will find it hard to use the 4GB, let alone 2GB.

Yeah at 1080p the best option will be the 2gb one

If you are playing on a 50" TV go with a GTX 650ti. Your tv has it's own way of processing an input signal so it can natively output at 30/60 FPS. Even if your pc was able to output at 100 FPS you will not see it so it would be a waste of hardware. Take a look at what kind of equipment is made for living room entertainment and what kind of hardware is being used to operate it. Ever wonder why there is no company out that makes hardware for the living room that will compete with a hard core gaming PC?

Think of it like this:

Your PC is a fraternity house and the guys inside the 680 building are dead set on partying hard. They get rallied up and pumped so they run down HDMI street to the local dance hall called "The Living Room" cause that's where they hear all the action happens. That's when they meet up with a bouncer named Toshiba who says, "This is a family establishment fellas". "There will be no fondling, no ass grabbing, no binge drinking, and absolutely no Harlem Shake"! "Thirty Frames Per Second, no more and no less - Got it"? "Now comb your hair and brush your teeth, there are children in The Living Room"