Everything audio related I plug into my motherboard has noise on it...?

pabloD

Hi so I have a decent motherboard (or so I thought...) it's an MSI z87 g43 which cost me around 75EUR back in the day. I've noticed that every audio device I plug into the motherboard gets some sort of static/noise. It's the most prominent in my microphones. I have tried using a 3.5mm jack connected microphone and a USB microphone...but they all suffer from the same noise (check file for a sample of it). Even my speakers produce a tiny bit of noise when not producing any sound. What can I do to solve this issue next to the obvious "throw your  mobo in the bin" approach? Will a sound card help solve this or no?

A little side note: my pc fans are really quiet so I don't think it comes from there.

Thanks for reading, pls halp :(

test.wav

This is most likely electromagnetic interference (both inside the case and externally) from various power rails onboard and power cables.

An external (usb) DAC would likely solve this issue. The sabrent usb DAC is a good cheap way to test this.

Cheap sound card/external DAC should solve your problem.

External DAC is the "better" option because you're taking the DAC away from the noisy environment.

Get a good external DAC if you have high end equipment at the "output" end.

Get a cheap sound card (ASUS Xonar DGX) if you just wanna get rid of the noise.

Hope this helps :)

3 hours ago, pabloD said:

Yeah man, test it using this then if you want, upgrade to a better one!

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

On 21.8.2017 at 0:45 PM, rhyseyness said:

Cheap sound card/external DAC should solve your problem.

External DAC is the "better" option because you're taking the DAC away from the noisy environment.

Get a good external DAC if you have high end equipment at the "output" end.

Get a cheap sound card (ASUS Xonar DGX) if you just wanna get rid of the noise.

Hope this helps :)

A sound card is a dac

A bit of text was cut out sorry ?

Fiio Q1 is a good option, it will serve many headphones to come ?

2 hours ago, Tecardo said:

A bit of text was cut out sorry ?

Fiio Q1 is a good option, it will serve many headphones to come ?

Strongly disagree.

Either get a good external DAC (something from Schitt), or a cheap soundcard.

Anything from Fiio is not gonna sound any better than a soundcard, but will be more expensive.

2 hours ago, Tecardo said:

A sound card is a dac

Well actually... a soundcard includes a DAC section, but is not just 'a DAC'. Similarly, a DAC is not a soundcard.

To be pedantic, a DAC is just a chip and is not reserved for audio applications.

Yeah that's not from motherboard noise or electromagnetic whatever, the noise from most modern motherboards is extremely hard to notice unless you have very loud speakers. 

The noise you're hearing are from microphones.

Just turn down the volume of any unused microphones, I've had noise coming through before as well, and turning them off fixed it. it's caused by microphone noise.

Don't waste your money on a sound card or DAC. I have a sound card but I also use my motherboard for my external speakers and there is almost no noise at medium-almost loud volumes.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the sabrent usb dac and now my mic sounds crystal clear :D thx