Hey Canadians - Mobile Carrier Question

ItsTheDuckAgain
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
47 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Hey Canadians,

I'm going on a 4 week trip in your hopefully beautifull country, this is what our trip will look like:

rTlccCu.jpg

The question is: what mobile carrier / service provider (how are they called over there?) should I pick?

I got little to no use for phonecalls or sms/mms stuff and mainly need unlimited Data (if possible) with very good coverage along my route.

So: What should I pick? Rogers?

Telus or Bell. If you're already on T-Mobile in the USA, talk to them about roaming as Bell is partnered with them for us roaming in the USA.

DO NOT pick Rogers, at least not for on Vancouver Island. All carriers have dead zones, but Rogers on Vancouver Island plain sucks compared to Bell/Telus.

I can confirm that Bell/Virgin works very well on most major highways on Vancouver Island, with the exception of the middle of the highway between Port Alberni and Tofino / Ucluelet, and long stretches between cities on the East Coast of the island. Telus/Koodo is about the same, and Rogers is... spottier. Don't get me wrong - Rogers works here, but there are so many weird dead zones and random call quality problems whenever my dad or his coworkers have called me (their company uses Rogers) compares to friends on Bell or Telus.

Bell/Virgin and Telus/Koodo share about 95% of the same cellular towers on the westcoast, so you're good going with either of them. If you're looking for temporary pay-as-you go options, or Bring Your Own (unlocked) Device plans, go with VirginMobile or Koodo instead. They're the sister companies of Bell and Telus, respectively, and usually offer better month-to-month rates for BYOD plans.

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/postpaid.html?itcid=NAV:6#!/BYOP

https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_BodyMenu_Shop_Plans

I see you're going to my favorite place in all of BC - Tofino!!! Where abouts are you visiting from, and have you ever been in BC before? I'm a local Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, BC resident who's travelled around most of the island camping or making day trips, so I know quite a few of the local spots as well as the hidden ones too. I've also had the chance to drive through the interior along the Yellowhead 5 highway to Edmonton, and have been through Williams Lake and the 100 Mile House area as well. You're in for a real treat of scenery, so buckle up! (Sorry, I kind of have a passion for our province...)

If you have ANY questions what-so-ever about the province, when and where to visit, stay, or explore, or need anything please let me know @ItsTheDuckAgain as I'd be more than happy to answer things. One word of caution about Tofino: If you haven't booked a place to stay now, you're probably not going to find anywhere now. It's tourist season so things will be really busy there. If you have booked a place then AWESOME. Tofino is my speciality, so ask away if you want to know the good places to check out.

Oh, and be sure to be aware of the bits of our province that are ON FIRE right now too: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status

Hey Canadians,

I'm going on a 4 week trip in your hopefully beautifull country, this is what our trip will look like:

rTlccCu.jpg

The question is: what mobile carrier / service provider (how are they called over there?) should I pick?

I got little to no use for phonecalls or sms/mms stuff and mainly need unlimited Data (if possible) with very good coverage along my route.

Telus is generally the better carrier for remoter regions of BC. At least in my experience. Rogers would be my next choice. However once you get out to Tofino and in the mountains reception isn't going to be astounding regardless. Unlimited data is kinda like unheard of in Canada unless you pay $$$$$.(which still is not unlimited) 

Wave hello on your* way through Victoria headed to Tofino. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

No carriers have unlimited data. Except for Freedom which only has coverage in large cities.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

47 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Hey Canadians,

rTlccCu.jpg

Telus or Bell. If you're already on T-Mobile in the USA, talk to them about roaming as Bell is partnered with them for us roaming in the USA.

DO NOT pick Rogers, at least not for on Vancouver Island. All carriers have dead zones, but Rogers on Vancouver Island plain sucks compared to Bell/Telus.

I can confirm that Bell/Virgin works very well on most major highways on Vancouver Island, with the exception of the middle of the highway between Port Alberni and Tofino / Ucluelet, and long stretches between cities on the East Coast of the island. Telus/Koodo is about the same, and Rogers is... spottier. Don't get me wrong - Rogers works here, but there are so many weird dead zones and random call quality problems whenever my dad or his coworkers have called me (their company uses Rogers) compares to friends on Bell or Telus.

Bell/Virgin and Telus/Koodo share about 95% of the same cellular towers on the westcoast, so you're good going with either of them. If you're looking for temporary pay-as-you go options, or Bring Your Own (unlocked) Device plans, go with VirginMobile or Koodo instead. They're the sister companies of Bell and Telus, respectively, and usually offer better month-to-month rates for BYOD plans.

I see you're going to my favorite place in all of BC - Tofino!!! Where abouts are you visiting from, and have you ever been in BC before? I'm a local Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, BC resident who's travelled around most of the island camping or making day trips, so I know quite a few of the local spots as well as the hidden ones too. I've also had the chance to drive through the interior along the Yellowhead 5 highway to Edmonton, and have been through Williams Lake and the 100 Mile House area as well. You're in for a real treat of scenery, so buckle up! (Sorry, I kind of have a passion for our province...)

If you have ANY questions what-so-ever about the province, when and where to visit, stay, or explore, or need anything please let me know @ItsTheDuckAgain as I'd be more than happy to answer things. One word of caution about Tofino: If you haven't booked a place to stay now, you're probably not going to find anywhere now. It's tourist season so things will be really busy there. If you have booked a place then AWESOME. Tofino is my speciality, so ask away if you want to know the good places to check out.

Oh, and be sure to be aware of the bits of our province that are ON FIRE right now too: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

13 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I would agree with most of these. BTW for people who don't know Telus and Bell use the same network.

And you can also ask me as I'm a local BC resident.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

10 hours ago, kirashi said:

snip

10 hours ago, Imabigmac said:

snip

10 hours ago, JDE said:

snip

awsome guys - thx for the replies!

Will do some research in the carriers you mentioned and report back here.

Loads of helpfull info especially from @kirashi

35 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

awsome guys - thx for the replies!

Will do some research in the carriers you mentioned and report back here.

Loads of helpfull info especially from @kirashi

Also you will end up paying a lot.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

Also you will end up paying a lot.

yep - from what I see so far it's LTE-stone-age-over-there ..... :-)

for mobile data I think I will use this one:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B015JF6GGM/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_IKhMzb223N1Y6

Its 20GB within 30 days and costs "only" ~115 CAD. It uses T-Mobile which should use Rogers in Canada. Hopefully someone can confirm this since all I found so far was a bit shady and a few years old?

besides - will these guys work with your sockets?:

https://www.amazon.de/Neuftech-Reiseadapter-Netzstecker-Euro-Buchse-US-Stecker/dp/B0118PYDJY/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MBRD2V0V6SWW8ZBA30S1

10 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

yep - from what I see so far it's LTE-stone-age-over-there ..... :-)

for mobile data I think I will use this one:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B015JF6GGM/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_IKhMzb223N1Y6

Its 20GB within 30 days and costs "only" ~115 CAD. It uses T-Mobile which should use Rogers in Canada. Hopefully someone can confirm this since all I found so far was a bit shady and a few years old?

besides - will these guys work with your sockets?:

https://www.amazon.de/Neuftech-Reiseadapter-Netzstecker-Euro-Buchse-US-Stecker/dp/B0118PYDJY/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MBRD2V0V6SWW8ZBA30S1

Don't use Rogers. They have absolutely horrible reception in BC. And those plugs should work.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

18 minutes ago, JDE said:

Don't use Rogers. They have absolutely horrible reception in BC. And those plugs should work.

Seems like I got that wrong, T-Mobile seems to use "Telus".

That a better option for the trip?

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Telus is the best carrier you can use in BC, along with Bell, because they share the same network in Western Canada.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

12 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

T mobile offers roaming to bell customers in the states so it makes sense they're using the bell telus shared network here. Definitely a good choice.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

T mobile offers roaming to bell customers in the states so it makes sense they're using the bell telus shared network here. Definitely a good choice.

14 minutes ago, JDE said:

Telus is the best carrier you can use in BC, along with Bell, because they share the same network in Western Canada.

Thx Guys!