DIY Ethernet cables how to make them

Billy_Mays

Forgot to add I'm a networking noob

Yesterday I was doing some stuff and I went into a thrift shop and I went to the tech section and I found a box of Ethernet cord and it's the uncrimped kind and it hasn't been used and I was starting to look into getting Ethernet setup in my house and I found out that it was 1000ft I went and asked my brother if it was ok to get it we looked online about it and I got it and we don't have any idea of how to make a Ethernet cable with the RJ45 port and for all who's wondering what cat it is it's cat5e so IDK what to do with it next and the stuff can be order anywhere that is in Canada and I got the roll for $7 cad

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

3 minutes ago, Space2867 said:

Something like this should work.

Something a little cheap please since that's pretty expensive just for that couple of uses

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Maybe not newegg. Try check out newark, digikey or mouser. They are probably cheaper.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Ok Thanks for that 

5 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Maybe not newegg. Try check out newark, digikey or mouser. They are probably cheaper.

Are they available in Canada?

6 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Are they available in Canada?

Well, it doesn't really matter where you get it from.

you just need a quality RJ45 Crimper

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Well, it doesn't really matter where you get it from.

you just need a quality RJ45 Crimper

Nah, it doesn't. There is probably a canadian version of newark. Digikey ship to canada. not sure about mouser.

You could also try a local electronics/trade store. 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, unknownmiscreant said:

Nah, it doesn't. There is probably a canadian version of newark. Digikey ship to canada. not sure about mouser.

You could also try a local electronics/trade store. 

Ok I will check there as soon as I can

you'll need a crimper, and a cable tester. you'll also need to know the wire pattern(type B is standard)

its actually super easy to do and goes pretty fast once you've done it a few times

(ive been making my own cable for years).

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

13 hours ago, Tsuki said:

and a cable tester

You dont need a tester. It will either link or it wont.They are too expensive to justify.

When one of our core switches died and I had to terminate ~750 cables I had no time to test them lol. 

Crimping tool :

Digikey : https://www.digikey.com/short/31h5nj

Newark Canada  : LONG LINK (make sure the product has RJ-45, that's the name for ethernet plugs) , cheapest i'd say would be decent enough would be D03023

I'd recommend going for the 28$ one or more expensive, those cheap ones kinda in V shape don't last long and don't do very good job at crimping, they put more pressure on one side of the connector due to their design, so some wires in the plug may be looser.

Basically, try to get a tool that puts even pressure on all the pins in the plug/jack when you crimp the cable inside.

Plugs :

Digikey : https://www.digikey.com/short/31hr3d

Newark Canada : LONG LINK

Some plugs only work with SOLID CORE ethernet cable (where each wire is a single thick copper wire), some plugs only work with STRANDED ethernet cables (where each wire is made out of lots of thin copper wires) and most plugs can work with either type of cable.  Be careful what plugs you choose, pick the univeral plug or one that works with your cable.

You can use cat5e rated plugs or higher on your cat5e cable. Go with cat6 or cat6a plugs if you want, just know that SOME cat6a plugs can be more complicated to use as they're designed to handle up to 10 gbps so more precise insertion of cable is required for those speeds.

Look on Youtube , lots of tutorials about how to do the actual crimping job.

It's simple... cut cable so the end is perfectly flat, cut a bit on insulation on the cable exterior, crimping tool should have a blade on it), then untwist the pairs of wires and arrange them in the order you want (one of the two standards), straighten them , use the blade again to make the edge perfectly flat, then holding the cable by the exterior insulation with some force, slide the 8 wires inside the plug so that the wires reach the end of the plug and the external insulation goes over the notch on the plug. Look with your eyes to make sure you see the copper on each of those 8 wires touching the end wall of the plug - if you don't see it, take out the wires, straighten them again and if needed cut a tiny bit from the top with your blade on the crimping tool and repeat. 

When all is ready, press with lots of force to push the metal pins inside the wires and the plastic bit on the plug should go in the insulation of the cable holding it in place.

10 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

You dont need a tester. It will either link or it wont.They are too expensive to justify.

When one of our core switches died and I had to terminate ~750 cables I had no time to test them lol. 

my old crimper came with one so it wasnt a big deal. and its nice to quickly and easily check to see if you did it right. for somebody new to doing it, i suggest getting one.

but yea when im doing dozens or hundreds of cables at a time, i dont bother using it. but i also only mess up 1 out of maybe 75 cables so if it doesnt work, i just toss it into my bad cable bin and fix it later.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

22 hours ago, mariushm said:

Crimping tool :

Digikey : https://www.digikey.com/short/31h5nj

Newark Canada  : LONG LINK (make sure the product has RJ-45, that's the name for ethernet plugs) , cheapest i'd say would be decent enough would be D03023

I'd recommend going for the 28$ one or more expensive, those cheap ones kinda in V shape don't last long and don't do very good job at crimping, they put more pressure on one side of the connector due to their design, so some wires in the plug may be looser.

Basically, try to get a tool that puts even pressure on all the pins in the plug/jack when you crimp the cable inside.

Plugs :

Digikey : https://www.digikey.com/short/31hr3d

Newark Canada : LONG LINK

Some plugs only work with SOLID CORE ethernet cable (where each wire is a single thick copper wire), some plugs only work with STRANDED ethernet cables (where each wire is made out of lots of thin copper wires) and most plugs can work with either type of cable.  Be careful what plugs you choose, pick the univeral plug or one that works with your cable.

You can use cat5e rated plugs or higher on your cat5e cable. Go with cat6 or cat6a plugs if you want, just know that SOME cat6a plugs can be more complicated to use as they're designed to handle up to 10 gbps so more precise insertion of cable is required for those speeds.

Look on Youtube , lots of tutorials about how to do the actual crimping job.

It's simple... cut cable so the end is perfectly flat, cut a bit on insulation on the cable exterior, crimping tool should have a blade on it), then untwist the pairs of wires and arrange them in the order you want (one of the two standards), straighten them , use the blade again to make the edge perfectly flat, then holding the cable by the exterior insulation with some force, slide the 8 wires inside the plug so that the wires reach the end of the plug and the external insulation goes over the notch on the plug. Look with your eyes to make sure you see the copper on each of those 8 wires touching the end wall of the plug - if you don't see it, take out the wires, straighten them again and if needed cut a tiny bit from the top with your blade on the crimping tool and repeat. 

When all is ready, press with lots of force to push the metal pins inside the wires and the plastic bit on the plug should go in the insulation of the cable holding it in place.

Ok thanks for a bit of knowledge about it