How to reduce screen tearing without V-Sync?

RamboPenguin
Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think AMD cards have a frame rate limiter you can set in the driver control panel so that when it gets to 60 FPS, it won't render faster.

That limiter from AMD (and NVIDIA too) introduces as much input lag as V-Sync.

You can't do much about tearing without V-Sync/Fast-Sync/Free-Sync/G-Sync

OC your monitor if you can and try to keep FPS as high as possible because by generating more frames you have a better chance for some of them to hit the refresh cycle on the monitor.

FPS cap does nothing for reducing tearing.

Build:

1080p 60hz monitor

i5 4460

R9 380

8gb ram

I did all frame testing in Rainbow Six Siege on Ultra.

When I play games, my graphics card can render more than the 60 frames that the monitor puts out, but it causes tearing. The only way that I can fix this is by enabling V-Sync which limits the fps to 59.94 or whatever. The problem with this is that my minimum fps drops by 15 when it is enabled (65 fps vs 50 fps). What do I need to do so that I don't have screen tearing, and maintain a minimum fps that is greater than 60? Buy a higher refresh rate or a higher resolution monitor?

Higher refresh rate monitor, turn up AA or higher resolution for less FPS(Can also downscale). May also be able to OC your monitors refresh rate a little higher. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think AMD cards have a frame rate limiter you can set in the driver control panel so that when it gets to 60 FPS, it won't render faster.

OC your monitor if you can and try to keep FPS as high as possible because by generating more frames you have a better chance for some of them to hit the refresh cycle on the monitor.

Rivatuner caps the FPS without the lag input like V-sync. I haved tested it in War Thunder and the difference is like night and day. Even adaptive V-sync had too much lag input for my liking.

28 minutes ago, RamboPenguin said:

Build:

1080p 60hz monitor

i5 4460

R9 380

8gb ram

I did all frame testing in Rainbow Six Siege on Ultra.

When I play games, my graphics card can render more than the 60 frames that the monitor puts out, but it causes tearing. The only way that I can fix this is by enabling V-Sync which limits the fps to 59.94 or whatever. The problem with this is that my minimum fps drops by 15 when it is enabled (65 fps vs 50 fps). What do I need to do so that I don't have screen tearing, and maintain a minimum fps that is greater than 60? Buy a higher refresh rate or a higher resolution monitor?

You can lock FPS to 60 with rivatuner but you still have tearing ... 

Its either Vsync or a 75/144hz freesync monitor .. 

Let's agree to disagree

Just now, MrTiC said:

You can lock FPS to 60 with rivatuner but you still have tearing ... 

Its either Vsync or a 75/144hz freesync monitor .. 

10 minutes ago, WereCat said:

29 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Higher refresh rate monitor, turn up AA or higher resolution for less FPS(Can also downscale). May also be able to OC your monitors refresh rate a little higher. 

Overclocked the monitor to 70hz. Did some benchmarking without v-sync and everything appears to be working better than before with no screen-tearing. Thanks for the help.

use the same FPS cap as your monitors refresh rate, (that's all these *sync features do) then you should have no issues, there's no use in high FPS counts if you can't display them, that's just wasted resources (not to mention added power cost in putting more load on components)

39 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

use the same FPS cap as your monitors refresh rate, (that's all these *sync features do) then you should have no issues, there's no use in high FPS counts if you can't display them, that's just wasted resources (not to mention added power cost in putting more load on components)

That's not how it works...

I've used MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner for years and it's great, I set the FPS cap to +1 of my monitors refresh rate.

I also am lucky enough to have G-sync, so if it dips below the set limit it's nice and smooth.

Works great.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF