How soon will my fans die?

Buddyguy121

Hi everyone,

So, I own the Acer Helios 300. I am a bit concerned about the temps inside the laptop. Usually while playing games such as Witcher 3 or BF1 on the highest graphics, CPU and GPU are getting pretty hot; considering that I have my CPU undervolted by -0.115v, and I always try to not let my fans work on max speed (6.2k RPM, it is usually around 5.2k) and use some cooler pad (which is kind of trash)...

For instance, Tried witcher 3. CPU was hitting about 90 Celsius sometimes, spiking up to 93 - average 85-86 Id say. GPU was around 70 Celsius maybe a bit higher, around 75. had basically same results on Crysis 3.

First of all, what are normal temps for this or any gaming laptop while playing quite demanding games? also, how long will my fans live if I let them work on max speed lets say for about 4-5 hours straight?... every day. 

How do  I signature? >.>

Sometime between now and eventually...

There is no way to tell or even guess, fans can last forever or die pretty quickly even if you don't run them at max.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Sometime between now and eventually...

There is no way to tell or even guess, fans can last forever or die pretty quickly even if you don't run them at max.

I see... So, that does not really have a huge effect on their lifetime.

what about temps?

How do  I signature? >.>

2 minutes ago, Buddyguy121 said:

I see... So, that does not really have a huge effect on their lifetime.

what about temps?

well obviously if they are sucking in 500*C air they wont last long.

fans are cheap, why are you worrying about this?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

14 minutes ago, Buddyguy121 said:

Hi everyone,

So, I own the Acer Helios 300. I am a bit concerned about the temps inside the laptop. Usually while playing games such as Witcher 3 or BF1 on the highest graphics, CPU and GPU are getting pretty hot; considering that I have my CPU undervolted by -0.115v, and I always try to not let my fans work on max speed (6.2k RPM, it is usually around 5.2k) and use some cooler pad (which is kind of trash)...

For instance, Tried witcher 3. CPU was hitting about 90 Celsius sometimes, spiking up to 93 - average 85-86 Id say. GPU was around 70 Celsius maybe a bit higher, around 75. had basically same results on Crysis 3.

First of all, what are normal temps for this or any gaming laptop while playing quite demanding games? also, how long will my fans live if I let them work on max speed lets say for about 4-5 hours straight?... every day. 

To relieve stress have you tried using a laptop chill mat with fans - they put the laptop on a stand to allow more air to move in and out and they provide intake fans i believe. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Targus-Chill-Mat-Port-2-0/dp/B00DXTJTL6 I believe thats the one my cousin has and it works well for him (yet all he does play is overwatch and gta)

subscribe to pewdiepie

2 minutes ago, Merp83 said:

To relieve stress have you tried using a laptop chill mat with fans - they put the laptop on a stand to allow more air to move in and out and they provide intake fans i believe. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Targus-Chill-Mat-Port-2-0/dp/B00DXTJTL6 I believe thats the one my cousin has and it works well for him (yet all he does play is overwatch and gta)

yes, I am using some coolerpad from Topmate... It does not really have a huge effect, but probably helps a little bit.

How do  I signature? >.>

I thought you were querying the imminent mortality of the fragile bodies of the poor souls who choose to watch our content. 

Dang it.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

That's what you get for a "Helios laptop" /jk.

The fans will outlast your ears.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

35 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well obviously if they are sucking in 500*C air they wont last long.

fans are cheap, why are you worrying about this?

16 minutes ago, Tam3n said:

That's what you get for a "Helios laptop" /jk.

The fans will outlast your ears.

well, seems like they are also cheap... and I assume, it would not be too hard to replace them... 

How do  I signature? >.>

45 minutes ago, Buddyguy121 said:

Hi everyone,

What can help is opening up the laptop and clean out the heat sinks. That should get you a couple degrees lower. Taking this a step further would be replacing the thermal compound with something better. This again will lower your temp a little. 

Lower temp means lower rpms on hour fan(s) which in return gives longer lifetime for the fans. 

Usually manufacturers make their products in such a way almost all components last about the same length. Don't worry to much about he fans. 

8 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

What can help is opening up the laptop and clean out the heat sinks. That should get you a couple degrees lower. Taking this a step further would be replacing the thermal compound with something better. This again will lower your temp a little. 

Lower temp means lower rpms on hour fan(s) which in return gives longer lifetime for the fans. 

Usually manufacturers make their products in such a way almost all components last about the same length. Don't worry to much about he fans. 

The laptop is new actually, bought it about 2 weeks ago... and that is probably why I am worried about that. 

Also, I assume, those temps are also kind of normal for gaming laptops...

How do  I signature? >.>

As someone who has changed cooler in laptop. It lasted for 4 years of mixed use. Some gaming, mainly normal office and entertainment use. I had performance mode on most of the time. 2nd cooler was still working on it when I bought new laptop, meaning it had been working for 5 years.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, Buddyguy121 said:

The laptop is new actually, bought it about 2 weeks ago... and that is probably why I am worried about that. 

Also, I assume, those temps are also kind of normal for gaming laptops...

Laptops run hot under Max load for indeed. Then cleaning the heat sink won't help thermal paste will still help probably because the factory stuff isn't the highest quality just don't expect wonders. But keep the cleaning and replacing the thermal paste in mind might be something you want to do in a year perhaps. 

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

As someone who has changed cooler in laptop. It lasted for 4 years of mixed use. Some gaming, mainly normal office and entertainment use. I had performance mode on most of the time. 2nd cooler was still working on it when I bought new laptop, meaning it had been working for 5 years.

I see... so they lasted for quite a while... Thanks. 

55 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

Laptops run hot under Max load for indeed. Then cleaning the heat sink won't help thermal paste will still help probably because the factory stuff isn't the highest quality just don't expect wonders. But keep the cleaning and replacing the thermal paste in mind might be something you want to do in a year perhaps. 

Yea I will definitely repaste it at some point; after warranty expires most likely...  Thanks.

How do  I signature? >.>

28 minutes ago, Buddyguy121 said:

I see... so they lasted for quite a while... Thanks.

That one was in RMA for mobo changes few times. I don't know if that have some effect on first cooler dying so quickly. I would say in general they last for 5+ years. You get bad ones just like with any other products. But thats impossible to say before they break.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, Buddyguy121 said:

yes, I am using some coolerpad from Topmate... It does not really have a huge effect, but probably helps a little bit.

I've just realised. And I've realised this with a lot of other cooling pads.

Could you actually be suffocating that of the intake potential the fans could have?

Whether the cooling pad has multiple fans or not, you could actually have the spot with the laptop's fan(s) on be suffocated, if the fans on the cooler pad don't aren't roughly aligned with any ventilation the fans, add that in with the fact that of the fans on the cooler pad are just rebounding air and then splash backing it since it's just hitting solid surfaces on the laptop there would be no point in having the cooler pad in the first place

Possibly try without the cooling pad, and have the laptop elavated by say two books and monitor the temps of my method and the cooler stand

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

1 minute ago, EnergyEclipse said:

I've just realised. And I've realised this with a lot of other cooling pads.

Could you actually be suffocating that of the intake potential the fans could have?

Whether the cooling pad has multiple fans or not, you could actually have the spot with the laptop's fan(s) on be suffocated, if the fans on the cooler pad don't aren't roughly aligned with any ventilation the fans, add that in with the fact that of the fans on the cooler pad are just rebounding air and then splash backing it since it's just hitting solid surfaces on the laptop there would be no point in having the cooler pad in the first place

Possibly try without the cooling pad, and have the laptop elavated by say two books and monitor the temps of my method and the cooler stand

yea you are right... thats why I had to buy another cooling pad... well, at least half of it is aligned with the cooling system... still very small effect. but hey, better than nothing, right?

How do  I signature? >.>