SSD or Hard Drive (I know the actual answer but just read)

Colonels

So, my motherboard comes on monday and i will have all my parts to build my PC (yay!) but I have an issue.

My SSD is stuck on windows 8.1, it won't update to Windows 10 and I need that for a lot of newer title games.

So I have two questions if my SSD already has an operating system and I have my hard drive in there on the first boot will it work?

Also, Should I just use the Hard Drive and install windows 10 and just buy a new SSD which are about $60 for the same one I have.

The SSD is about 3-4 years old also so its lasted a fair amount of time going from a work computer to being used for gaming.

My Hard Drive is 1 Terabyte (WD Blue)

and My SSD is a Crucial 120GB. Im kinda leaning towards just using my hard drive because I don't mind things loading a bit slower cause I'm not picky and I'm more of a budget gamer.

Loading the OS isn't "a bit slower", it's 2+ minutes vs 20 seconds lol. That SSD might be closing in on its death so I would back up the important stuff and buy a new one 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Loading the OS isn't "a bit slower", it's 2+ minutes vs 20 seconds lol. That SSD might be closing in on its death so I would back up the important stuff and buy a new one 

I don't have anything important on the SSD so im fine.

So just use the Hard Drive and install windows? because I'm not gonna get any money until I either get a job (meh dont want one really) or christmas. I don't mind a 2 minute boot up because I used a hard drive computer for about 2 years until I used this pc from my grandpas work that I bought for $100 (lol) and been using it for about 4-5 months.

Just now, EmoChipmonk said:

if you end up getting a new SSD get an 240 gb level ssd. (or bigger)

Ok I will do that!

Buy a new SSD and put Windows 10 on it. Your old SSD can be used as a backup drive if need be or you can use it as a third drive to store things on. Your choice. Your hard drive however you should keep since it is a 1TB WD Blue and probably has lots of space left.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

7 minutes ago, Colonels said:

So, my motherboard comes on monday and i will have all my parts to build my PC (yay!) but I have an issue.

My SSD is stuck on windows 8.1, it won't update to Windows 10 and I need that for a lot of newer title games.

So I have two questions if my SSD already has an operating system and I have my hard drive in there on the first boot will it work?

Also, Should I just use the Hard Drive and install windows 10 and just buy a new SSD which are about $60 for the same one I have.

The SSD is about 3-4 years old also so its lasted a fair amount of time going from a work computer to being used for gaming.

My Hard Drive is 1 Terabyte (WD Blue)

and My SSD is a Crucial 120GB. Im kinda leaning towards just using my hard drive because I don't mind things loading a bit slower cause I'm not picky and I'm more of a budget gamer.

Backup your shit from ssd 

Reboot and boot from windows 10 USB (make it before you reformat sad. Also backup your license just to be sure)

Then from the windows USB when you get to the part you choose disk choose your ssd and reformat it then select that volume to install it to (it will ask you to partition it press yes)

Just now, Colonels said:

Ok I will do that!

i find that a 500gb-ish level is the best for general use. I have a crucial 525gb and i have every thing on it. though i did get it back befor the chip shortage started. (november last year)

2 minutes ago, Colonels said:

I don't have anything important on the SSD so im fine.

So just use the Hard Drive and install windows? because I'm not gonna get any money until I either get a job (meh dont want one really) or christmas. I don't mind a 2 minute boot up because I used a hard drive computer for about 2 years until I used this pc from my grandpas work that I bought for $100 (lol) and been using it for about 4-5 months.

I'd just wipe the SSD from the windows 10 install utility then and install on it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'd just wipe the SSD from the windows 10 install utility then and install on it

I've tried wiping it (didn't work), I think its just gonna die soon. Ive tried installing windows 10 also and just nothing.

1 minute ago, Colonels said:

I've tried wiping it (didn't work), I think its just gonna die soon. Ive tried installing windows 10 also and just nothing.

sounds like its switching to more of a read mode only mode.

Just now, EmoChipmonk said:

sounds like its switching to more of a read mode only mode.

Well, would I be fine with just using my hard drive for the OS until I can buy a new SSD?

3 minutes ago, Colonels said:

You can get an 850 evo 256gb or even 500

They last for ever