60hz video games on a 120hz+ monitor

tecmocerealbowl

Hi all,

I've been scratching my head over this question and can't seem to find an adequate answer. I've seen some forum posts around the web stating that playing 60hz video games on 120hz+ monitors causes graphical issues, but isn't the refresh rate able to be set in menus on most gaming monitors? Refresh rates over HDMI are locked at 60hz, and most console games output 60hz max. Does not running at the native refresh rate introduce display lag or tearing? I'm looking at some 1080p gaming monitors with freesync as I'm hoping to have a console/pc hybrid gaming setup and want to know whether it would be a mistake to have one central display. I'm pretty confused here.

6 minutes ago, tecmocerealbowl said:

Hi all,

I've been scratching my head over this question and can't seem to find an adequate answer. I've seen some forum posts around the web stating that playing 60hz video games on 120hz+ monitors causes graphical issues, but isn't the refresh rate able to be set in menus on most gaming monitors? Refresh rates over HDMI are locked at 60hz, and most console games output 60hz max. Does not running at the native refresh rate introduce display lag or tearing? I'm looking at some 1080p gaming monitors with freesync as I'm hoping to have a console/pc hybrid gaming setup and want to know whether it would be a mistake to have one central display. I'm pretty confused here.

Who tf said that? It will have the same amount of input lag at 60Hz whether its a native 60Hz, 120Hz, or 5000000Hz monitor. As for tearing, as long as you are in freesync range then you are fine. One display is fine and honestly preferred for a hybrid setup.

19 minutes ago, tecmocerealbowl said:

Hi all,

It's not as smooth playing at 60 FPS on a monitor that's set to 120 Hz, but any 120 Hz monitor can be set to 60 Hz. But this needs to be changed in your windows settings, it won't switch to 60 Hz just because you launch a game locked at 60 FPS.

It's not as smooth playing at 60 FPS on a monitor that's set to 120 Hz, but any 120 Hz monitor can be set to 60 Hz. But this needs to be changed in your windows settings, it won't switch to 60 Hz just because you launch a game locked at 60 FPS.

I take it the monitor wouldn't lock to 60hz if it was receiving a signal that wasn't from a pc then, unless that's part of the internal settings. I don't know if that is something that is a common feature though.

28 minutes ago, tecmocerealbowl said:

I take it the monitor wouldn't lock to 60hz if it was receiving a signal that wasn't from a pc then, unless that's part of the internal settings. I don't know if that is something that is a common feature though.

It's how every single monitor works, they will display at the refresh rate that the video source is sending, as long as it's inside their operating range.  (you can't send 120 Hz to a 60 Hz monitor and expect it to work. but all 120 Hz monitors will work fine at 60 Hz)

Mystery is the source of all true science.