Running 2 seperate GPUs for different monitors

Hello there

I recently bought a second GPU, so i can run my main Monitor from the GTX 960 and the other 2 from the GT 710. So i installed the second card to a PCIE Slot and plugged the monitors in to the corresponding video card.

After i installed the new drivers, every card and Display got recognized and i was able to use it as a multi monitor setup. But as soon as i start the Game the performance is either the same as before or even worse. 

Is there anything else i have to configure?

Thanks for your help :)

2 minutes ago, MultiDJRoni said:

Hello there

I recently bought a second GPU, so i can run my main Monitor from the GTX 960 and the other 2 from the GT 710. So i installed the second card to a PCIE Slot and plugged the monitors in to the corresponding video card.

After i installed the new drivers, every card and Display got recognized and i was able to use it as a multi monitor setup. But as soon as i start the Game the performance is either the same as before or even worse. 

I'm surprised you bought 2 GT 710s for plugging in 2 more monitors.

Is that not possible on a GTX 960? It would work mostly fine on my GTX 770 which incidentally performs similarly to a GTX 960.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Is that not possible on a GTX 960? It would work mostly fine on my GTX 770 which incidentally performs similarly to a GTX 960.

I just bought one GT 710. it would work fine with the 960, but if you plug the second monitors in to the iGPU and only the main monitor in to the 960, there are about 10 to 20 FPS more, depending on the game. But as soon as i want to watch a stream or a Video while gaming, the game is running smooth on the 960 but the Video is more a diashow then a Video on the second monitor. So i thought id buy a cheap additional GPU so that problem might be fixed. but the Videos are still lagging if i play at the same time as watching one.

I hope you can understand what im trying to say, sorry that my english isnt the best but im still learning :D

once again someone made a silly mistake.. you know that all that's on the other displays still gets rendered by the 960 right?

5 minutes ago, MultiDJRoni said:

I just bought one GT 710. it would work fine with the 960, but if you plug the second monitors in to the iGPU and only the main monitor in to the 960, there are about 10 to 20 FPS more, depending on the game. But as soon as i want to watch a stream or a Video while gaming, the game is running smooth on the 960 but the Video is more a diashow then a Video on the second monitor. So i thought id buy a cheap additional GPU so that problem might be fixed. but the Videos are still lagging if i play at the same time as watching one.

I hope you can understand what im trying to say, sorry that my english isnt the best but im still learning :D

I was asking why it wasn't possible to plug both monitors into the GTX 960.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

once again someone made a silly mistake.. you know that all that's on the other displays still gets rendered by the 960 right?

Nope, i thought that if i plug the screens pluged in to the 710 get rendered by the 710 and whats pluged in to the 960 gets rendered by the 960.

Is there any way that i can change this so everything gets rendered on the card the display is pluged in?

Just now, MultiDJRoni said:

Nope, i thought that if i plug the screens pluged in to the 710 get rendered by the 710 and whats pluged in to the 960 gets rendered by the 960.

Is there any way that i can change this so everything gets rendered on the card the display is pluged in?

nope. you just wasted 50 bucks.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I was asking why it wasn't possible to plug both monitors into the GTX 960.

it was possible but in switzerland 2 Display Port to HDMI adapters cost as much as a GT 710 :D

Just now, manikyath said:

nope. you just wasted 50 bucks.

Well i can still return the card. Luckily

The GPU that has the main monitor does all the rendering even for the other monitors plugged into other GPUs. Sometimes other GPUs can render too but its the main display that handles the load.

For example browsers use GPU acceleration, they will use the main GPU so thats why your video play back is laggy as it is bad at transferring the results to another GPU and display not to mention PCIe bandwidth matters too.

Unfortunately we cant manually assign programs to GPUs.

3 hours ago, MultiDJRoni said:

Hello there

I've tried doing this myself, across Nvidia, AMD & using the iGPU for the 2nd panel. For normal web browsing & basic windows tasks, I could save about 5-10fps with another GPU. But as soon as any media is being played on the second panel, my frame PACING got shot to hell in my games. It would still show 100+ fps, but it FELT like 40fps.

Putting both panels back on a single GPU helped this a little. But fast paced games (Overwatch & rocket League) still seem to just feel sluggish with media in the background. 

So I suggest stop watching YT while gaming (sucks, right?) Or try disabling hardware acceleration outside of gaming. Or invest in slight better or alternate hardware.

Currently I have a cheap ass Chromebook sitting next to my 144hz panel with an aux audio cable from it to PC and I play all my media on it to keep my 144fps in games. 

Thanks to everyone who answered. I have now plugged in everything to one card and painfully will have to live with a few less FPS :( Luckily i am able to return the card, thats one of the good things of swiss online shopping :D

Have a great day ;)

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I cut a PCI-E 1.0x slot to seat another GPU to get more monitors. People want more monitors man lmao