i have a problem

Noah Emke
Go to solution Solved by toogamer,
1 minute ago, Vernw3 said:

wireless

He would probably just get another cable and chew on that.

Anyways OP, you should just do something that you hate every time you chew on a cord. That could be like a previous person said, slapping yourself, or it could be eating an orange if you hate oranges that much. Just do something that you hate and you will grow to associate the thing you hate with chewing cords.

i have a bad habit of chewing on cables and because of this I've broken at least 4 headsets.   how do i break this habit? please help

wireless

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Coat the cables in a bitterant like denatonium benzoate or something.

where would i buy something like that? also my mom recommends nailpolish remover, would that work?

1 minute ago, Vernw3 said:

wireless

He would probably just get another cable and chew on that.

Anyways OP, you should just do something that you hate every time you chew on a cord. That could be like a previous person said, slapping yourself, or it could be eating an orange if you hate oranges that much. Just do something that you hate and you will grow to associate the thing you hate with chewing cords.

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

i will try all of these sugestions and hopfully not waste another 60$

14 minutes ago, Noah Emke said:

i have a bad habit of chewing on cables and because of this I've broken at least 4 headsets.   how do i break this habit? please help

I used to have a bad habit of doing this back when I used earbuds for my computer. My solution was to buy a pair of wireless headphones and connect them with a cable. Afterward, I would break a cable after a month and simply swap it out with another cheap cable. Eventually, I started to catch myself doing it and eventually just stopped, rewarding myself with a purchase of a pair of high-quality headphones.

Alternatively, you can buy a braided 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable for a pair of wireless headphones. You won't want to chew on that for long.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

when you catch yourself spray yourself with water or if others are around have them do it

Coat the wire with this stuff, it dries clear like a gel.... safe yet tastes utterly disgusting

https://www.amazon.com/Mavala-Switzerland-Stop-Nail-Biting/dp/B0000YUXI0/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1502465899&sr=8-2&keywords=nail+biting+deterrent

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

16 hours ago, Noah Emke said:

Why not find something similar to a cable that is also edible and chew on that instead.

Or maybe, just resist the temptation

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

Going wireless may remove the option to chew and therefore break the habit, but from personal experience this can be temporary so long as you don't have any cords to chew on.

I used to have a habit of biting my nails, but it was mainly because i really hated having long nails.  Buying nail clippers for my key chain resolved that issue.  So my suggestion is to go wireless, but also find something else to satiate your desire to chew.  Maybe chew on gum, or something else that is more acceptable.  You could try the taste aversion method others are mentioning, but for that to truly stick you kind of need to get sick from it.  But even then it may backfire as you may just associate that particular smell/taste with the aversion and not the actual cord itself. 

18 hours ago, Noah Emke said:

where would i buy something like that? also my mom recommends nailpolish remover, would that work?

I'm fairly sure nail polish remover is toxic.

Ahh - turns out, small quantities are fairly harmless if swallowed:

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/acetone.html

However, if you ingest a large quantity, it could cause irritation, burning, and in severe cases, horrible neurological damage.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)