What's the name of this graphical effect (dust on lens)?

VG Docs
Go to solution Solved by AshleyAshes,

It's bokeh.

Bokeh is caused by out of focus bright spots in the lens with a shallower depth of focus. In this very particular case, with dust on the lens being exceptionally close and out of focus, it's catching light, and a bokeh effect is happening.

Source: All that money I spent on film school. D:

It's been used in games for quite a few years now but I don't know the name of it. Would you just call it a type of lens flare or something?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

It's bokeh.

Bokeh is caused by out of focus bright spots in the lens with a shallower depth of focus. In this very particular case, with dust on the lens being exceptionally close and out of focus, it's catching light, and a bokeh effect is happening.

Source: All that money I spent on film school. D:

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

-snip-

Okay, I see. I'm aware of bokeh but I didn't think of that probably because of the lack of DoF outside of the specs themselves.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit