*NEED HELP* first time advice bios steps/ryzen ram again

Just now, Vincebthreeonefour said:

i dont trust this ssd to last long should i day one take the files and select back up and put them on the hdd im buying?

What SSD do you have?

There where some that would appear to no longer be detectable but there was a fix for that.

I think linus referenced this in one of his videos this year. It had to do with sudden power loss to the SSD doing something to the drive but it actually works fine.

Once the install is complete go to the backup and recovery in settings and create a recovery/backup and schedule it to backup on a regular basis.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

well for me I like to reinstall windows every once in a while so it wouldn't be an issue if my os drive blew up because I would just reinstall windows on a new drive and start fresh. I would suggest you put all important files on the harddrive and use the bootdrive mostly for programs.

i was going to have the windows on back up external drive, could i use my usb with win10 on it to put win10 on an external ssd when i get the money? i was going to use ssd for boot and a couple of favorite games and the bulk of my games on the hdd is this okay?

3 minutes ago, kalnick said:

What SSD do you have?

There where some that would appear to no longer be detectable but there was a fix for that.

I think linus referenced this in one of his videos this year. It had to do with sudden power loss to the SSD doing something to the drive but it actually works fine.

Once the install is complete go to the backup and recovery in settings and create a recovery/backup and schedule it to backup on a regular basis.

^^ and its a sandisc plus i think 240gb.

1 minute ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

i was going to have the windows on back up external drive, could i use my usb with win10 on it to put win10 on an external ssd when i get the money? i was going to use ssd for boot and a couple of favorite games and the bulk of my games on the hdd is this okay?

The setup of the ssd and hhd sounds like what I do currently. I would suggest that if you do get a better ssd just reinstall windows on that ssd and make it your boot drive instead. you can then wipe the old ssd and use it for just some games you want to have fast load times.

dude that ssd is fine. That is what I'm running in my computer and haven't had any issues. Is it as fast as some of the other ssds out there? no but it gets the job done and you shouldn't worry about it dying so much. May I also ask what specifically you need to have backed up?

4 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

Yes you could install windows on an external drive.

Unless you need to have a portable windows boot drive (like a computer tech for example) there is no need for that. The backup and recovery options along with your windows 10 usb stick will allow you to recover/restore to a new ssd/hdd when ever. Storing the backups on the external ssd is a good idea.

dude that ssd is fine. That is what I'm running in my computer and haven't had any issues. Is it as fast as some of the other ssds out there? no but it gets the job done and you shouldn't worry about it dying so much. May I also ask what specifically you need to have backed up?

i just saw one line of a bad review and assumed the worst i hear that capacity is nomally higher quality. well as for backing up im not certain how computers work so to me it sounds smart to have windows 10 on a usb and a hdd of some sort around in case my pc tells my cant load windows and if i try to defrag or whatever that wont work also

7 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

I would not worry about that SSD. It will be fine. I've not had issues with either of my 2 Sandisk SSDs

1 minute ago, kalnick said:

Yes you could install windows on an external drive.

Unless you need to have a portable windows boot drive (like a computer tech for example) there is no need for that. The backup and recovery options along with your windows 10 usb stick will allow you to recover/restore to a new ssd/hdd when ever. Storing the backups on the external ssd is a good idea.

alright i just like the idea of backing up and being resistant to issues like file corruptions etc

2 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

i just saw one line of a bad review and assumed the worst i hear that capacity is nomally higher quality. well as for backing up im not certain how computers work so to me it sounds smart to have windows 10 on a usb and a hdd of some sort around in case my pc tells my cant load windows and if i try to defrag or whatever that wont work also

Never defrag an SSD!!!

Defraging an SSD is the fastest way to kill it.

Just now, kalnick said:

Never defrag an SSD!!!

i got a blue screen and i told it to restore or some thing and it worked again isnt that defraging? that happend on a hdd

yeah there is always reviews like those but those are usually for DOA parts which happens to almost all hardware and is kinda just part of how manufacturing works. if the components doesn't fail really quickly you are likely fine as if it was defective it would fail early on. I almost never listen to reviews about dead on arrival parts because it doesn't speak to how the part works if it isn't defective.

5 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

i got a blue screen and i told it to restore or some thing and it worked again isnt that defraging? that happend on a hdd

No thats just Windows repairing itself.

Defraging HDD is good for speeding up slower drives. It takes all the little bits of files and organizes everything on the drive. This involves a lot of writes to the drive.

FOr HDDs not a issue, for SSDs since they have a finite number of writes before the nand becomes read only, defraging SSDs reduce there life span

Just now, kalnick said:

No thats just Windows repairing itself.

Defraging HDD is good for speeding up slower drives. It takes all the little bits of files and organizes everything on the drive. This involves a lot of writes to the drive.

FOr HDDs not a issue, for SSDs since they have a limited number of writes before the nand becomes read only you defraging SSDs reduce there life span

right i just saw a video on this. im feeling better about spending money wether it be peice by peice or all at once. im feeling more confident about what to do if something happend to my storage with the booting and the windows and such. should i worry about anything beyond that i have a plan involving an anti static wrist strap and some temporary furninshing adjustments, do u think im all set?

right i just saw a video on this. im feeling better about spending money wether it be peice by peice or all at once. im feeling more confident about what to do if something happend to my storage with the booting and the windows and such. should i worry about anything beyond that i have a plan involving an anti static wrist strap and some temporary furninshing adjustments, do u think im all set?

you seem to be all set. if you run into any issues you can always ask this forum and there are many people more than willing to help you with anything you need.

you seem to be all set. if you run into any issues you can always ask this forum and there are many people more than willing to help you with anything you need.

i know to look for swollen capacitors or burn makrs, bent pins etc if all else fails i just hope it doesnt turn into a night mare lol. i bought an hp from best buy and a gtx 660 in 2014 had to get a new power supply waited had to get a new case *omg* waited and then i tried to play like gtav and it was so dissapointing, but it got me into pc's and im ready for those ultra details man, just gotta save up the money and i should have a smart higher speed mid range build maybe 1440p capable, with future plans thought out. i do appreciate the help man, i dont know anyone irl thats into this in my social circle so its hard lol

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

what do i need to do to my ssd since im already using it in a different computer? just delete everything?

i know to look for swollen capacitors or burn makrs, bent pins etc if all else fails i just hope it doesnt turn into a night mare lol. i bought an hp from best buy and a gtx 660 in 2014 had to get a new power supply waited had to get a new case *omg* waited and then i tried to play like gtav and it was so dissapointing, but it got me into pc's and im ready for those ultra details man, just gotta save up the money and i should have a smart higher speed mid range build maybe 1440p capable, with future plans thought out. i do appreciate the help man, i dont know anyone irl thats into this in my social circle so its hard lol

yeah I know I didn't know anyone who was into it when I first got into it but eventually found people. That is the one great thing about this forum, you can ask people who have experience building computers any questions you have about building computers. super helpful for those who don't know someone with pc building experience personally.  

what do i need to do to my ssd since im already using it in a different computer? just delete everything?

it will format the ssd when you install windows. alternatively you can access the drive form the bios and select format but you don't have to.

it will format the ssd when you install windows. alternatively you can access the drive form the bios and select format but you don't have to.

so once its formatted it will be for that pc and un usable for other pcs?

6 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

so once its formatted it will be for that pc and un usable for other pcs?

no it will just format the drive to be able to store data. technically it would be reformatting the drive but bottom line is your drive would be cleared of all data in the process and you would be all ready for the windows 10 install.

no it will just format the drive to be able to store data. technically it would be reformatting the drive but bottom line is your drive would be cleared of all data in the process and you would be all ready for the windows 10 install.

oh very interesting i had no idea lol. i normally learn with more crash course methods

oh very interesting i had no idea lol. i normally learn with more crash course methods

that is honestly how I learned most of the stuff I know about pcs. you kinda just pick things up as you go along.

that is honestly how I learned most of the stuff I know about pcs. you kinda just pick things up as you go along.

heck yea. im sooooooo exited right now.

heck yea. im sooooooo exited right now.

Yeah its always exciting to build a new pc. Just wait until you are done and get to start playing games. It honestly is one of the most satisfying feelings ever once you get to use the pc you just built.