*NEED HELP* first time advice bios steps/ryzen ram again

*****PLEASE HELP...im trying to get the rgb version of gskill trident z ram for the asus  rog strix b350-f i want. its not on the qvl its 3200mhz because of price and preference, ryzen 5 1600. will it post?/boot? whatever? and i can run it at a speed i find suitable later as im more interested in the rgb than the top speed the ram can go? i do plan to adjust ram speeds later on im just trying to buy parts peice by peice ...PLEASE HELP***** the mobo i want isnt even on the list on gskill ram configurator list. ive asked about ram compatability and understand a fair bit. beware i also dont know if u can get to bios/uefi(barley know what those are, or the steps to flash updates and win10) with ram in gpu in cpu in out i have no clue what im doing im worried it wont post with that ram installed. 

10 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

*****PLEASE HELP...im trying to get the rgb version of gskill trident z ram for the asus  rog strix b350-f i want. its not on the qvl its 3200mhz because of price and preference, ryzen 5 1600. will it post?/boot? whatever? and i can run it at a speed i find suitable later as im more interested in the rgb than the top speed the ram can go? i do plan to adjust ram speeds later on im just trying to buy parts peice by peice ...PLEASE HELP***** the mobo i want isnt even on the list on gskill ram configurator list. ive asked about ram compatability and understand a fair bit. beware i also dont know if u can get to bios/uefi(barley know what those are, or the steps to flash updates and win10) with ram in gpu in cpu in out i have no clue what im doing im worried it wont post with that ram installed. 

Should post fine, might only be at 2133mhz at first but it should be fine.

Updating the bios would help with getting it to work at higher speeds.

If your not comfortable doing this yourself have a tech savy friend do it for you.

It really isn't that hard these days. You just need a usb stick and the ability to follow instructions ;)

9 minutes ago, kalnick said:

Should post fine, might only be at 2133mhz at first but it should be fine.

Updating the bios would help with getting it to work at higher speeds.

If your not comfortable doing this yourself have a tech savy friend do it for you.

It really isn't that hard these days. You just need a usb stick and the ability to follow instructions ;)

im totally nervous something will be broke and ill have to resend it or ill have in compatable ram, i love putting them together like legos some times i trip on the wires so to speak i have  a hard time holding on to money you think i can buy things like ram and windows last in this case. cuz i trust like a case and hard drive to be bought ahead of other items. i dont want to have to resell anything cuz idk how to do that either.

as someone who built on ryzen at launch when there wasn't very good compatibility and it wasn't very stable i can safely say you should be fine. gskill tridaint rgb ram at 3200 is one of the few kits that worked well at launch with almost all boards. It is also what is being sent with the threadripper cpus for review so its safe to say it will work. as far as updating bios goes the main thing is to not stop the process as you update the bios. all you need to do is download the bios form the motherboard support page and then access the bios and there should be a setting to update the bios via usb. click this option and choose the bios file and wait for it to update and you should be good to go.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

as someone who built on ryzen at launch when there wasn't very good compatibility and it wasn't very stable i can safely say you should be fine. gskill tridaint rgb ram at 3200 is one of the few kits that worked well at launch with almost all boards. It is also what is being sent with the threadripper cpus for review so its safe to say it will work. as far as updating bios goes the main thing is to not stop the process as you update the bios. all you need to do is download the bios form the motherboard support page and then access the bios and there should be a setting to update the bios via usb. click this option and choose the bios file and wait for it to update and you should be good to go.

so i plug it all up, screw it all in like a beast and i press power and i see a screen, i put my usb in. this is the expected events in order? where i take me handy downloaded amd,asus bios update files and ez flash them in? then i take my other usb which is in the mail right now and with win10 on is i put in in there and boom?

4 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

so i plug it all up, screw it all in like a beast and i press power and i see a screen, i put my usb in. this is the expected events in order? where i take me handy downloaded amd,asus bios update files and ez flash them in? then i take my other usb which is in the mail right now and with win10 on is i put in in there and boom?

yeah that would work. i would probably have the usb in prior to turning on the computer but that is just me. also make sure to not remove the usb while you update the bios because it would be really bad if you did.

6 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

basically yes

your first post will take up to 5 minutes though so don't panic on that first power up when you don't hear the beep right away

Even knowing the 1st post is a long one its still very tense lol

Just now, kalnick said:

basically yes

your first post will take up to 5 minutes though so don't panic on that first power up when you don't hear the beep right away

Even knowing the 1st post is a long one its still very tense lol

it took 5 minutes for you? i think mine took awhile but not 5 minutes.

so in the ez flash do i select the files from usb to read and it updates for me? and for the windows usb i select to make it the main file or something along those lines? right? ive watched so many videos of jayztwocents, linus, ncix, gamer meld, science studio, actually hardcore overclocking, pauls hardware, tech deals that its crazy i still have very specific questions

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

it took 5 minutes for you? i think mine took awhile but not 5 minutes.

Honestly it felt like forever, it was 3-4 min for me but I have heard of others being up to 5.

Mind you it might be quicker I guess if boards are shipping with newer bios versions. I got board when R7 came out  (it was on sale locally) then waited for R5 to come out and bought a 1600. So could have just been the bios version I had. 

2 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

so in the ez flash do i select the files from usb to read and it updates for me? and for the windows usb i select to make it the main file or something along those lines? right? ive watched so many videos of jayztwocents, linus, ncix, gamer meld, science studio, actually hardcore overclocking, pauls hardware, tech deals that its crazy i still have very specific questions

yes. you click the file and it should just update. as for windows you just need to boot form the usb and it should automatically start the windows install process. 

1 minute ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

For ez flash the best advice I give you is read the motherboards manual section on how to do it so you know exactly what your board needs.

You will navigate to it in the bios and it will ask you to select the file (place on the root dir of the usb device) and it will take it from there.

yes. you click the file and it should just update. as for windows you just need to boot form the usb and it should automatically start the windows install process. 

great thanks im just really nervous about spending this much money and being on this hard of a budget to get these parts, i think the last two items i get will be ram and windows and the day that ram gets to my house it might be glorious

1 minute ago, kalnick said:

Honestly it felt like forever, it was 3-4 min for me but I have heard of others being up to 5.

Mind you it might be quicker I guess if boards are shipping with newer bios versions. I got board when R7 came out  (it was on sale locally) then waited for R5 to come out and bought a 1600. So could have just been the bios version I had. 

yeah I built my r7 build about a week after launch so I would have very early bios as well. I do remember it taking long but not 5 minutes. Actually now that I think about it I do remember others having that issue at launch.

For ez flash the best advice I give you is read the motherboards manual section on how to do it so you know exactly what your board needs.

You will navigate to it in the bios and it will ask you to select the file (place on the root dir of the usb device) and it will take it from there.

i want to use a ssd to boot, but the one im using had some bad reviews about it just randomly dying on people. i want to back it up to be safe but dont know how, can i copy the boot file onto a hdd and eventually an external backup hdd?but the one im using had some bad reviews about it just randomly dying on people

4 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

great thanks im just really nervous about spending this much money and being on this hard of a budget to get these parts, i think the last two items i get will be ram and windows and the day that ram gets to my house it might be glorious

Yeah I know the feel. I remember the first time I built a pc I did it in nothing but my underwear because I was afraid the fabric was going to run together and create static electricity.

Just now, Vincebthreeonefour said:

i want to use a ssd to boot, but the one im using had some bad reviews about it just randomly dying on people. i want to back it up to be safe but dont know how, can i copy the boot file onto a hdd and eventually an external backup hdd?but the one im using had some bad reviews about it just randomly dying on people

I mean if it does die what would be the issue other than having to reinstall windows on a new drive?

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

yeah I built my r7 build about a week after launch so I would have very early bios as well. I do remember it taking long but not 5 minutes. Actually now that I think about it I do remember others having that issue at launch.

I'll be building a ryzen system for a friend in the next few months. He is buying it piece meal has things go on sale. So I'll be able to compare. I haven't built another ryzen system since my own

I mean if it does die what would be the issue other than having to reinstall windows on a new drive?

well i watched the linus video on making my ssd a boot drive and i messed up and on this pc all of my files are on desk top cuz put a junction and named it the same as my hdd(INSANITY) so idk how to make a certain drive the boot drive im afraid i wont know how to do it

I'll be building a ryzen system for a friend in the next few months. He is buying it piece meal has things go on sale. So I'll be able to compare. I haven't built another ryzen system since my own

Yeah it feels so weird how far ryzen has come since launch. I remember when I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to build on ryzen especially as I was using my system for college.

3 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

You can use windows built in backup/recovery feature for this.

Have your OS/games installed to the faster SSD and store your backs and other stuff on an HDD

2 minutes ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

well i watched the linus video on making my ssd a boot drive and i messed up and on this pc all of my files are on desk top cuz put a junction and named it the same as my hdd(INSANITY) so idk how to make a certain drive the boot drive im afraid i wont know how to do it

just only plug in your ssd when you install windows. this will ensure that you install windows on the ssd rather than the hhd. can't install windows on a hard-drive if it isn't plugged in.

just only plug in your ssd when you install windows. this will ensure that you install windows on the ssd rather than the hhd.

i dont trust this ssd to last long should i day one take the files and select back up and put them on the hdd im buying?

1 minute ago, Vincebthreeonefour said:

The windows install will make your SSD the boot drive as part of the install.

You don't need to worry about that

Just now, Vincebthreeonefour said:

i dont trust this ssd to last long should i day one take the files and select back up and put them on the hdd im buying?

well for me I like to reinstall windows every once in a while so it wouldn't be an issue if my os drive blew up because I would just reinstall windows on a new drive and start fresh. I would suggest you put all important files on the harddrive and use the bootdrive mostly for programs.