2x GTX 780 SLI Air cooled?

Smaste
Go to solution Solved by Elven,

Hey,

That case should be sufficient for ventilation. I presume if/when you get the 780s, they will be none-reference design with aftermarket coolers  :P

In terms of fans, I think noctua nf-f12 fans would do well for case fans. They perform very well and audibly quiet. They're not easy on the eyes but will work great and throw some on the CPU cooler like a H100i :D 

Elven 

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC to the next gen of Intel processors next year, and since the 800 series will be coming out I thought it might be a good idea to pick up two GTX 780s cheaper and run them in SLI.

I'm wondering if an NZXT Phantom 630 is sufficient to cool them via air? If so, what fans should I go for to ensure I get the best airflow and silence? At the moment I'm using the stock NZXT fans that came with it.

Thanks,

Smaste :).

They should run fine. Picking up two used 780's when the 800 series are out is not at all a bad idea, I know several people who do this every time NVIDIA releases a new generation.

Have two evga 780(reference design with blower air cooler) and a Fractal design R2 with stock fans. Works great with about a 20% OC they run really fine.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

Hey,

That case should be sufficient for ventilation. I presume if/when you get the 780s, they will be none-reference design with aftermarket coolers  :P

In terms of fans, I think noctua nf-f12 fans would do well for case fans. They perform very well and audibly quiet. They're not easy on the eyes but will work great and throw some on the CPU cooler like a H100i :D 

Elven 

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Hey,

Elven 

I'll certainly consider the H100i, I was hoping to stay away from water cooling but I should get over the stigma of water near electronics and focus on the cooling potential!

Awesome thanks guys! :D

NF-F12s it is, I'll keep my 630 :).

I'll certainly consider the H100i, I was hoping to stay away from water cooling but I should get over the stigma of water near electronics and focus on the cooling potential!

Pre-filled liquid loops are best way to go, when it comes to water cooling, but you don't feel confident/can't be arsed to build your own custom loop  :D

They are generally a lot safer and "rarely" cause problems, like with custom loops. I have heard stories that people who bought pre-filled liquid coolers, have found leaks/issues. A simple RMA and replacement fixes the problem and the results are a hell of a lot better than air cooling!! Also, you can run fans really low and still get great temperatures  :P

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

NF-F12 are far from the best case fans. Get some Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2.

I'll look into them, first impressions they look cooler :D (pun intended)

Pre-filled liquid loops are best way to go, when it comes to water cooling, but you don't feel confident/can't be arsed to build your own custom loop  :D

They are generally a lot safer and "rarely" cause problems, like with custom loops. I have heard stories that people who bought pre-filled liquid coolers, have found leaks/issues. A simple RMA and replacement fixes the problem and the results are a hell of a lot better than air cooling!! Also, you can run fans really low and still get great temperatures  :P

Elven

I'll pick one up some time next year then! And test it like 200,000 times to make sure there are no leaks before i put it in properly :P

I'll pick one up some time next year then! And test it like 200,000 times to make sure there are no leaks before i put it in properly  :P

lol!!!  :lol:

Elven