Ryzen 3, what more to do with it?

So I warranted my spare 1700x and x370 board at Micro Center and figured why not buy stuff for YouTube reviewing.  So I purchased a Ryzen 3 1200, Intel I3-7100, Ryzen 5 1600 (Going into a build I am selling), Pentium G4560, 2 motherboards (1 AM4 1 LGA 1151).  So far I did a video comparing the 1200 vs the 7100 at stock and tomorrow a video of the 1200 @ 3.9GHz with 2933MHz ram is up against the 7100 stock with 2400MHz ram.  I plan on taking those results against a 1600 stock and OC'ed and maybe compare the I3 to the G4560.  But any other video idea's?

G4560 against R3 stock and OC'd with stock and OC'd RAM on both platforms (Intel requires a Z-chipset or some H-chipsets).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If you have enough gpu's for it do the "when does it bottleneck" test

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I don't understand why you're comparing them with different RAM speeds.  They should both be 2933MHz if you want a fair comparison.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

I don't understand why you're comparing them with different RAM speeds.  They should both be 2933MHz if you want a fair comparison.

"AMD should have every advantage that it can since Intel doesn't gain from faster RAM." - Sum Dood 2017

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

"AMD should have every advantage that it can since Intel doesn't gain from faster RAM." - Sum Dood 2017

Maybe only use a graphics card on the AMD one because Intel CPUs have integrated graphics.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

well i think it is a fair comparison as most motherboards that you would use the i3 and Pentium with are limited to those speeds where as the motherboard you would use a r3 with supports those memory speeds.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

well i think it is a fair comparison as most motherboards that you would use the i3 and Pentium with are limited to those speeds where as the motherboard you would use a r3 with supports those memory speeds.

You can still set the i3 or Pentium with a Z-chipset for future expansion if your budget allows. Even unlocked Intel CPU's are tested with stock RAM leaving the variables tested unequal between their Ryzen counterparts. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Actually they wouldn't.  Every drive is pretty picky about what RAM can run at high frequencies.  Unless you buy from the QVL, you'll probably have to run at 2400MHz.  Plus, only the cheapest Intel boards don't support high frequency RAM.

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

In a realistic scenario, each platform should be running the fastest speed it will manage whilst maintaining stability.

Zen's CCX interconnect - Infinity Fabric - benefits from higher clocks speeds, so why wouldn't you run both Intel and AMD CPUs at the fastest speed they can respectively achieve?

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You can still set the i3 or Pentium with a Z-chipset for future expansion if your budget allows. Even unlocked Intel CPU's are tested with stock RAM leaving the variables tested unequal between their Ryzen counterparts. 

Yeah, when I first built my first computer I bought a Z97 board, an i3 (I don't remember which one), and 2400MHz DDR3 RAM.  Granted, the chipset choice was mostly out of ignorance, but I eventually upgraded to an i7-4790K, so it worked out.

1 minute ago, Dargenfire said:

In a realistic scenario, each platform should be running the fastest speed it will manage whilst maintaining stability.

Zen's CCX interconnect - Infinity Fabric - benefits from higher clocks speeds, so why wouldn't you run both Intel and AMD CPUs at the fastest speed they can respectively achieve?

That's exactly what I was saying.

Just now, Dargenfire said:

Intel Z-chipsets can hit up to 3600MHz with all slots occupied (some boards even support >4000MHz) while Ryzen only goes to 3200MHz consistently with a few caveats. The only reason that we're seeing benches with Intel at stock RAM is due to the prevailing notion/misconception that Intel "doesn't benefit from RAM overclocks".

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Actually they wouldn't.  Every drive is pretty picky about what RAM can run at high frequencies.  Unless you buy from the QVL, you'll probably have to run at 2400MHz.  Plus, only the cheapest Intel boards don't support high frequency RAM.

b350 is the chipset you have to have to overclock the cpu so you would also overclock the memory. on the other hand the z270 motherboards are much more expensive and don't make sense for i3's or Pentiums. It just makes sense to run the ffaster ram if you are overclocking the r3 because you 100% be on a chipset that supports it in that situation. there is actual incentive to get a b350 motherboard with a r3 where as there isn't really for i3 or Pentium other than for future upgrade ability but most people would opt for a cheaper motherboard and a locked i5 at that point so it really makes not a ton of sense.

9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

b350 is the chipset you have to have to overclock the cpu so you would also overclock the memory. on the other hand the z270 motherboards are much more expensive and don't make sense for i3's or Pentiums. It just makes sense to run the ffaster ram if you are overclocking the r3 because you 100% be on a chipset that supports it in that situation. there is actual incentive to get a b350 motherboard with a r3 where as there isn't really for i3 or Pentium other than for future upgrade ability but most people would opt for a cheaper motherboard and a locked i5 at that point so it really makes not a ton of sense.

Well I was joking before, but if you want to go by what most people would have, then run the Pentium and i3 without a GPU.  They're mostly used for office computers.  You're setting up an unfair comparison.  I can only hope you're clear about that in the video.

37 minutes ago, Snaeb said:

So I warranted my spare 1700x and x370 board at Micro Center and figured why not buy stuff for YouTube reviewing.  So I purchased a Ryzen 3 1200, Intel I3-7100, Ryzen 5 1600 (Going into a build I am selling), Pentium G4560, 2 motherboards (1 AM4 1 LGA 1151).  So far I did a video comparing the 1200 vs the 7100 at stock and tomorrow a video of the 1200 @ 3.9GHz with 2933MHz ram is up against the 7100 stock with 2400MHz ram.  I plan on taking those results against a 1600 stock and OC'ed and maybe compare the I3 to the G4560.  But any other video idea's?

It would be good to maybe do a comparison between some old FX series chips, like the 8350, to the Ryzen 3 chip. Old AMD fanboys like me would be interested in seeing an apples to apples comparison between the two fairly similarly priced chips in gaming and multithreaded tasks. Like, the Ryzen 3 only has 4 cores compared to the 8350's 8, but since Ryzen is so new how would it compare in something like rendering?

also, what's your YouTube channel? If you do end up doing a Ryzen 3 vs 8350 comparison I would like to see it

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Well I was joking before, but if you want to go by what most people would have, then run the Pentium and i3 without a GPU.  They're mostly used for office computers.  You're setting up an unfair comparison.  I can only hope you're clear about that in the video.

these are likely gaming reviews in which case its not relevant to take that into account as well as the target audience for videos like these are not people using them in office computers. I stand by my statement that the setup of the review makes alot of sense.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

these are likely gaming reviews in which case its not relevant to take that into account as well as the target audience for videos like these are not people using them in office computers. I stand by my statement that the setup of the review makes alot of sense.

Thing is, you can't just test a CPU with OC'd RAM against one with stock RAM as the variables tested are now dissimilar. How do we know that Intel wouldn't pull ahead as much as Ryzen did? Getting stock RAM and OC'd RAM configs would line things up more evenly than just foregoing one side due to being able to see the difference that the other variable had on the overall delta since even the unlocked i5 and i7 CPU's are joined with stock 2400MHz RAM in many reviewers' benches. 

I'd be very interested in seeing if an i5-7600K could pass the R5-1600's minimums while still maintaining its higher average frame-rates. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Thing is, you can't just test a CPU with OC'd RAM against one with stock RAM as the variables tested are now dissimilar. How do we know that Intel wouldn't pull ahead as much as Ryzen did? Getting stock RAM and OC'd RAM configs would line things up more evenly than just foregoing one side due to being able to see the difference that the other variable had on the overall delta since even the unlocked i5 and i7 CPU's are joined with stock 2400MHz RAM in many reviewers' benches. 

I'd be very interested in seeing if an i5-7600K could pass the R5-1600's minimums while still maintaining its higher average frame-rates. 

The thing is I 100% agree with you on that one when talking about the unlocked i5s and i7s as it is quite likely they will have a z270 chipset that supports the faster ram but it doesn't make sense to show results for an i3 and a pentium with fast ram because it would be a misrepresentation of the performance one would see with the cpu for those who are going to buy it as most will opt for a chipset that doesn't support it. Also there are alot of reviewers who did pair intel with 3200 memory in the r5 reviews you just have to look for them. For me I want a review that gives practical numbers rather than ones that are kinda theoretical as well as impractical. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

snip

Thing is, some people might not have the budget for the CPU of their choice without downgrading another component. If they can get all of the parts they need with the current Pentium, why bother going i3/i5? Get all of the parts you needed and upgrade the CPU when you can as it's a drop-in unlike a motherboard. Showing the results, as "unrealistic" as they may be, would still be informative as it can show what the best budget decisions could be. Especially as Pentiums sell faster than i3, i5, and i7 CPU's and for better % returns. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, Strike105X said:

When it comes to gaming in most cases the r3 does nicer then the fx, since so many games don't take advantage of all 8 cores, but as far as rendering, encoding and productivity work is concerned, especially if we talk about an overclocked fx8350, it will do a lot better than the r3, it has weaker cores but its got 8 of them.

I figured that something like an 8350 would still beat Ryzen 3 in multithreaded tasks just because of higher clock speeds and more cores, but by how much?

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Thing is, some people might not have the budget for the CPU of their choice without downgrading another component. If they can get all of the parts they need with the current Pentium, why bother going i3/i5? Get all of the parts you needed and upgrade the CPU when you can as it's a drop-in unlike a motherboard. Showing the results, as "unrealistic" as they may be, would still be informative as it can show what the best budget decisions could be. Especially as Pentiums sell faster than i3, i5, and i7 CPU's and for better % returns. 

That doesn't give you good information on what to choose on a budget because if you can't achieve that performance anyways because you won't be pairing it with that faster memory then it is misleading rather than helpful in the decision making process.

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

That doesn't give you good information on what to choose on a budget because if you can't achieve that performance anyways because you won't be pairing it with that faster memory then it is misleading rather than helpful in the decision making process.

If you were going to get an i7-K, but didn't have the money, how would the Pentium + OC'd RAM do? 

It's the same thing we usually tell people on the forum. Downgrade your GPU or skip on the [COMPONENT]. If we were to know how far a chip can go, it would serve a purpose when making these decisions, as mundane as you see them. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

10 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Yep, I've seen plenty of people get Pentiums with much nicer components, with the plans to replace the CPU with something better down the line.

13 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I did test this in a video months ago OC and stock and the 1600 performed smoother.