Steam Download Speed and IIX

TenzoNakami

Hi guys, so uh, I bought 3 lines from 3 different ISP, and it seems all of them do not offer a fast-enough International bandwidth. The IIX bandwidth on the other side, is a beast (for the current state of my country) rated at 20MBps. On the other side, the International bandwidth sucks, rated at 200KBps.

While Steam does offer "Indonesia" server as their download server, it seems like it isn't connected in any way to the IIX, which as you can guess already, only maxed out at 200KBps.

Also mind you, I got a Load Balancer. 3 ISPs into one with the Load Balancer. (each ISP is rated at 25MBps, while this is true for it's IIX speed and not International.)

But something is bothering me, why Steam doesn't utilize the 3 lines as every other program does? (which, theoretically should get up to 600KBps, not much but better than 200KBps)

And why Steam doesn't get through a Proxy server? My friend luckily works in a data-solution company and he let me use the company Proxy server, which is connected to gigabit international line. I could squeeze out the whole 72MBps while downloading from website such as ASUS and Razer. (Which I am sure is not connected to the IIX since it takes 20+ hops, most IIX connection only takes 4-6 hops.) Even YouTube could utilize the whole 72MBps speed.

Notes: IIX stands for the Indonesia Internet eXchange, which isn't funded by the government, but by bigger vendors. They are launched in 1997, with the purpose to connect all of Indonesian ISP into one exchange point, to minimize the International bandwidth usage which is, according to them, very expensive. More info could be learned on the internet.

Notes: All of the speed rates I wrote are Megabytes, not Megabits. With the KBps also being Kilobytes not Kilobits.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

What are you using for load balancing the WAN connections? Steam does allow for multi-wan configurations as I can get maximum throughput on my own configuration which is multi-wan when download.  Do you have all ports load balanced or some other configuration solely for certain traffic types?

As for the Indonesia server not being connected to IIX, I would look in to performing a trace route to the server being downloaded from.  Start a download and check your netstat locally which should give you the end address and ports in use.  tracert this address, it may be that your ISP does not peer directly with the steam download services.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

On 8/4/2017 at 7:28 PM, Falconevo said:

What are you using for load balancing the WAN connections? Steam does allow for multi-wan configurations as I can get maximum throughput on my own configuration which is multi-wan when download.  Do you have all ports load balanced or some other configuration solely for certain traffic types?

As for the Indonesia server not being connected to IIX, I would look in to performing a trace route to the server being downloaded from.  Start a download and check your netstat locally which should give you the end address and ports in use.  tracert this address, it may be that your ISP does not peer directly with the steam download services.

Hi and thanks for answering. I am using the Load Balancer in order to combine all 3 ISPs connection to achieve maximum speed, as told by Linus himself in one of his video. (I believe it was the Double your internet speed something)

Everything is set and I am sure the Load Balancer is balancing all 3 WAN ports. As of now anyway, the Steam server itself could reach up to 600KBps already, what makes it able to is still unknown.

About the tracert itself I haven't done anything since. But I'll try to do it later.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

What software are you using to perform the load balancing?  That is the most important part of information needed.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

On 8/7/2017 at 11:21 PM, Falconevo said:

What software are you using to perform the load balancing?  That is the most important part of information needed.

The Load Balancing was done via hardware, not software. It is done by the TL-R470T+

The good thing is, replacing the Proxy with a VPN that supports UDP does solve the Steam problem. I used a VPN server that is connected directly to IIX and boom, the Steam download speed is now over 50MBps.

While it does add a few hops and latency, it is great enough as it is.

Spoiler