Quad Channel Memory Kit vs Dual Channel Memory Kit vs Dual/Quad Channel. Dual Channel RAM is becoming obsolete now?

Go to solution Solved by LienusLateTips,
Just now, noobee said:

the 4 RAM sticks need to be all Dual/Quad Channel? How about my Evo X Dual Channel Memory kit, if I have 4 sticks, can I still do the same to get Quad Channel although it says Dual Channel Kit?

No you just need 4 sticks. BTW quad channel won't work on Mini-ITX which you seem to be so obsessed with.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

What does Nvidia's stance on Linux (and open source in general) have to do with them not being good? If people have absolutely no intention to use Nvidia on Linux based systems, they wouldn't be impacted in any way. 

He said that "NVIDIA is a single worst company that we ever dealt with", this means that Nvidia as a company is not good. Not just the product..

I have dealt with bad customer support from big companies, and it's just sad to see how a company can grow big with a bad customer support..

1 minute ago, noobee said:

Really??? So I need to wait for about a month to get my new PC running? I already got my RAM...

Why did you buy your ram before having the platform? You run the risk of having DOA kits and not even knowing it until after it's too late to return them, potentially having to deal with an RMA. It's best to build the PC as a whole, rather than buy it part by part without a means to properly test the hardware. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

Yeah you either go NVIDIA (would still recommend) or wait for VEGA

are you sure it's going to be launched on Sept? I read the news it's on 14th August... I'm not getting NVIDIA after watching that video..

Why did you buy your ram before having the platform? You run the risk of having DOA kits and not even knowing it until after it's too late to return them, potentially having to deal with an RMA. It's best to build the PC as a whole, rather than buy it part by part without a means to properly test the hardware. 

^ truth

I bought it online!

Just now, noobee said:

are you sure it's going to be launched on Sept? I read the news it's on 14th August... I'm not getting NVIDIA after watching that video..

Yeah.

You might get one of the bundles with Vega 56 though.  $100 off a 1700 and a motherboard.

Just now, noobee said:

He said that "NVIDIA is a single worst company that we ever dealt with", this means that Nvidia as a company is not good. Not just the product..

I have dealt with bad customer support from big companies, and it's just sad to see how a company can grow big with a bad customer support..

No, one man's opinion on a company means absolutely nothing. If you blindly follow the words of others without even trying to understand the context of them, it creates a "sheep-like' mentality that leads to fanboyism. Your job as a consumer is to research your options, and get the best performance for your dollar, regardless of who the company is. It's not your job to get involved with others opinions and fight their moral wars. Torvold dislikes Nvidia due to their proprietary nature. It does not mesh well with Linux's open-source philosophy. It has absolutely nothing to do with Nvidia's hardware being bad, nor does it mean that Nvidia as a company is "not good". If you cannot explain in your own words why Nvidia is bad, then I am left to believe you have no negative experience with them.

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Yep, unless you want to get a cheap GPU to hold you over and to have a backup in case you need it later.

Cant really recommend buying anything above RX 560 or GTX 1050 Ti right now anyway.  GPU prices are way too high compared to their actual value.  Stupid miners eating up all the GPUs. >:(

I think it's not the stupid miners, it's the greedy NVIDIA!

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Yep, unless you want to get a cheap GPU to hold you over and to have a backup in case you need it later.

Cant really recommend buying anything above RX 560 or GTX 1050 Ti right now anyway.  GPU prices are way too high compared to their actual value.  Stupid miners eating up all the GPUs. >:(

Except the GTX 1080 Ti. Hasn't been inflated yet.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, noobee said:

I bought it online!

I usually build out the system from parts at one store and order all of them at the same time.  Makes returns for defective stuff way easier.

Just now, noobee said:

I think it's not the stupid miners, it's the greedy NVIDIA and AMD.

No, it's the miners. They buy hundreds, or even thousands at a time, emptying warehouses as soon as they are stocked.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Well, I am far too late. Another fanboy was born :( 

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Yeah.

You might get one of the bundles with Vega 56 though.  $100 off a 1700 and a motherboard.

I can get it with a bundle on 14 Aug? I'm fine with the bundles though, I haven't got my motherboard and CPU.

I usually build out the system from parts at one store and order all of them at the same time.  Makes returns for defective stuff way easier.

different components are cheaper in different stores

Its the miners, trust me.  They are chartering whole 747's in order to ship them.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Except the GTX 1080 Ti. Hasn't been inflated yet.

True I suppose, but I do not believe a GPU can be worth $700 value wise.  The whole over $500 market is a sham IMHO.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

No, it's the miners. They buy hundreds, or even thousands at a time, emptying warehouses as soon as they are stocked.

They can just produce it again.. why do they need to increase the price? is there any reason other than greed?

different components are cheaper in different stores

Not worth the hassle IMHO.

Just now, noobee said:

They can just produce it again.. why do they need to increase the price? is there any reason other than greed?

It's not Nvidia increasing the price. It's the retailers. It's basic supply and demand. 

Just now, noobee said:

The retailers are inflating it. It's supply and demand. Basic economics.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, noobee said:

NV/AMD dont set the price, retailers do.  If they cant keep parts in stock the prices go up.  Its economics 101, supply and demand.  They can only produce so many chips at a time.

Not worth the hassle IMHO.

PCPartPicker makes it easy IMHO

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

No, one man's opinion on a company means absolutely nothing. If you blindly follow the words of others without even trying to understand the context of them, it creates a "sheep-like' mentality that leads to fanboyism. Your job as a consumer is to research your options, and get the best performance for your dollar, regardless of who the company is. It's not your job to get involved with others opinions and fight their moral wars. Torvold dislikes Nvidia due to their proprietary nature. It does not mesh well with Linux's open-source philosophy. It has absolutely nothing to do with Nvidia's hardware being bad, nor does it mean that Nvidia as a company is "not good". If you cannot explain in your own words why Nvidia is bad, then I am left to believe you have no negative experience with them.

I can judge others' opinions to prevent myself to be dealt badly by that company.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

PCPartPicker makes it easy IMHO

Not that part, doing retailer returns and whatnot.  Its just easier to keep track of orders when its all on one PO.

I do builds for others (individuals/businesses) occasionally and having to deal with one retailer is worth the slight cut in my profit.

Just now, noobee said:

I can judge others' opinions to prevent myself to be dealt badly by that company.

NVIDIA is completely fine though.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

8 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

NV/AMD dont set the price, retailers do.  If they cant keep parts in stock the prices go up.  Its economics 101, supply and demand.  They can only produce so many chips at a time.

Then it's the guy who made economics 101 who is bad? they taught us greed?