Quad Channel Memory Kit vs Dual Channel Memory Kit vs Dual/Quad Channel. Dual Channel RAM is becoming obsolete now?

Go to solution Solved by LienusLateTips,
Just now, noobee said:

the 4 RAM sticks need to be all Dual/Quad Channel? How about my Evo X Dual Channel Memory kit, if I have 4 sticks, can I still do the same to get Quad Channel although it says Dual Channel Kit?

No you just need 4 sticks. BTW quad channel won't work on Mini-ITX which you seem to be so obsessed with.

Just now, noobee said:

Then it's the guy who made economics 101 who is bad, they taught us greed!

No one made it. It's just capitalism. Do you even understand a thing? Go live in USSR Russia.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, noobee said:

I can judge others' opinions to prevent myself to be dealt badly by that company.

Not when you do not understand them. You've yet to explain why Nvidia is bad. I am under the impression that you yourself do not even know. You simply saw a video, and echoed the contents of it without trying to figure out why. This is the current problem with the PC hardware community. Everyone would rather echo the sentiment, without providing explanations. It makes it difficult to make solid, fair recommendations without fanwars breaking out among people that have no idea what they are talking about, fighting an ideological war over a simple brand. We sincerely need less of that around here.

It has nothing to do with greed. If you have less of a product, you cannot sell more of it. What little supply you do have, is worth more because it cannot be obtained as easily elsewhere. This is how the world works everywhere, not just with computer hardware. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

It has nothing to do with greed. If you have less of a product, you cannot sell more of it. What little supply you do have, is worth more because it cannot be obtained as easily elsewhere. This is how the world works everywhere, not just with computer hardware. 

Except in commusism!

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Its just how it is.  If you are the only one supplying something and you have 10 items and 20 customers, people will offer over your asking price to get that item if they want it.  Auctions are a great example of this happening in real time.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

In communism you just starve. xD

yep. you don't get anything because there IS no supply and no demand

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

isn't it as easy as ordering from NVIDIA or AMD? maybe they can even do it online these days!

Just now, noobee said:

isn't it as easy as ordering from NVIDIA or AMD? maybe they can even do it online these days!

Do you not understand that manufacturing hardware is a process that takes time? You can't just hit a button and magically clone GPU's to sell. 

This has to be intentional. Nobody can be this naive.

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You've yet to explain why Nvidia is bad.

I try to avoid NVIDIA to make myself able to explain why they are bad.

Because Linus is such a great guy who built Linux, and it's enough authoritative information.

Just now, noobee said:

NV only directly sells founders edition cards which are $100 more expensive anyway.  AMD does not sell directly to customers.

6 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Its just how it is.  If you are the only one supplying something and you have 10 items and 20 customers, people will offer over your asking price to get that item if they want it.  Auctions are a great example of this happening in real time.

Retailers aren't supposed to be auctioners right?

nope. the miners are buying so many NVIDIA and AMD don't have enough factory space so they can't make enough, etc

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

NV only directly sells founders edition cards which are $100 more expensive anyway.  AMD does not sell directly to customers.

I mean the retailers can get the cards from them! It should be an easy task, why do they have to increase the price?

Just now, noobee said:

I try to avoid NVIDIA to make myself able to explain why they are bad.

Because Linus is such a great guy who built Linux, and it's enough authoritative information.

Having no experience means you cannot explain why they are bad. You also do not understand why Linus Torvalds thinks they are bad. You simply heard him say it, and decided to believe it without seeing any facts. Linus Torvalds has been wrong before about many things. He is human, and is not infallible. Opinions are opinions, not facts.

At this point, I cannot help you. Good luck with your endeavors of understanding how the world works, hopefully your ram works fine as well. 

2 minutes ago, noobee said:

DELETED?

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, noobee said:

I mean the retailers can get the cards from them! It should be an easy task, why do they have to increase the price?

BECAUSE NVIDIA AND AMD CAN'T MAKE ENOUGH CARDS!

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, noobee said:

They really are in all honesty.  AMD/NV set a suggested retail price and most stick to that because of competition.  If supply is fine and everyone has the product, the cheapest price is where people tend to go.

Best Buy for example charges 20% to 50% more than somewhere like NewEgg.  Why?  Because you get the product right then.  And people will pay for that convenience.

Just now, noobee said:

This conversation has gone off topic from Dual/Quad memory. Let's stop

Yes, but I hope you can understand. NVIDIA and AMD don't have enough factories to make enough GPUs.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

Yes, but I hope you can understand. NVIDIA and AMD don't have enough factories to make enough GPUs.

I still don't understand what can be the reason other than greed for the price increase. They don't have more production cost even if they don't have enough factories right? They can just build new factories from the profit they made from selling their products quickly. Then the problem should be solved!

Just now, noobee said:

I still don't understand what can be the reason other than greed for the price increase. They don't have more production cost even if they don't have enough factories right? They can just build new factories from the profit they made from selling their products quickly. Then the problem should be solved!

Factories take time to build. Plus there are multiple companies in the supply chain. AMD is not like a god who can command these companies to build more factories. Maybe insert company here doesn't get much money so can't afford a factory, effectively being a choke point. This isn't AMD or NVIDIA's fault, it's the entire production line.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

31 minutes ago, noobee said:

Business is all about making money. If you try to run a business without focusing on making money, you won't be in business long. If there is a lot of demand for something but little to no supply then you increase the price to make up for the lost sales and increased cost. If you have no demand but a large supply, you stop ordering them and put the items on sale until your supply starts to get low and then you order them. No retailer buys the card for $250 and then puts it on the shelf for the same price. They likely buy it at $175-$200 and sell it for $250 when the market is normal and drop it down a little when the market is slow to increase sales. When the market is fast and the cards aren't able to be supplied as fast or faster than they are selling, you start to increase the price to make up for the lower amount of sales you have overall. I'm going to go ahead and recommend you not build your own system at all at this point. Go ahead and buy a prebuilt since you don't seem to understand what to purchase or how to purchase it. Alienware has PCs that will have Threadripper and Vega in it, giving you what you want. Go ahead and complain about the price and how they're greedy as well for good measure. Then go ahead and look at the performance or lack of in your Apple products over the past 10 years compared to the price.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

32 minutes ago, noobee said:

They can just produce it again.. why do they need to increase the price? is there any reason other than greed?

Compare it to corn. If there is a drought and yields are down then the cost of corn and availability of it are impacted in a negative way. Sure you can always grow more corn but that takes time to be planted, grown, harvested and processed and then sold to stores where you can get it. Still going to be in high demand and the high price is still going to be there. Once its sold out, you have to wait again. Now replace the corn with a GPU. Still has to be manufactured, tested, binned, sent to companies to be binned again, put it on a custom PCB and do their tweaks and all that and then sent to a retailer for you to buy. Takes time to do and the demand is going up the whole time. Retailers want to make money off of it so they increase their prices to account for the increase they have to pay to buy them from manufacturers.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

NV/AMD dont actually have factories, they rent time at them because they cost billions to build.

If they rent more time at the factories their costs go up faster than the income from selling more chips because they are competing with other companies for that time.  The same factories also make chips for cellphones, TV's, and cars.