ryzen 5 1600 build

Hi everyone :)

My i5 3570k is gone and i need to replace it x)

i will buy a r5 1600 but i would like your opinions about the best motherboard / ram combo for this cpu, my usage will be mainly gaming

i already have everything else it will be paired with a gtx 980ti gaming g1 from gigabyte and i got a corsair ax 750 watts gold, my color scheme is black / white but it is absolutely not a priority to respect it (i value more performance and feature)

i would like to spend around 500 euros for the three parts but i can go up to 650 euros if necessary and 700 exceptionally but keeping it around 500 would be great :)

i will buy from one of this 3 shops : materiel.net, ldlc and maybe amazon.fr but i would prefer not

from my personal digging i found interesting :

for b350 boards : gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 / asus rog b350 strix (my favorite so far)

for x370 : asus x370 prime pro but i find the aesthetic a little cheap

I am looking for a board that can handle 3.9 / 4 ghz oc constant, great audio and good ram compatatibility

Thanks for reading my post :)

If you wanna go cheap, the ASRock Pro4 boards are a solid B350 mobo in black and white. For higher end ones, I'd get the STRIX B350-F, or a Gigabyte K5 or K7 (X370), or STRIX X370-F. 

For RAM, get a 3200MHz kit that is on the QVL list for your mobo. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, leyone said:

Hi everyone :)

My i5 3570k is gone and i need to replace it x)

i will buy a r5 1600 but i would like your opinions about the best motherboard / ram combo for this cpu, my usage will be mainly gaming

i already have everything else it will be paired with a gtx 980ti gaming g1 from gigabyte and i got a corsair ax 750 watts gold, my color scheme is black / white but it is absolutely not a priority to respect it (i value more performance and feature)

i would like to spend around 500 euros for the three parts but i can go up to 650 euros if necessary and 700 exceptionally but keeping it around 500 would be great :)

i will buy from one of this 3 shops : materiel.net, ldlc and maybe amazon.fr but i would prefer not

from my personal digging i found interesting :

for b350 boards : gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 / asus rog b350 strix (my favorite so far)

for x370 : asus x370 prime pro but i find the aesthetic a little cheap

I am looking for a board that can handle 3.9 / 4 ghz oc constant, great audio and good ram compatatibility

Thanks for reading my post :)

I have a X370 and a 1700 at 3,9Ghz. It is super stable, up to 4.0Ghz, for 24/7 use. The audio experience is great, basically on the same level as the ROG X370 motherboard in gaming with a few exceptions, but it's really high level. And the color scheme it's great too, I have a black-white setup with RGB lights and it works perfectly.

I don't suggest gigabyte motherboards, I had bad experiences with them. So go for the B350 Strix instead, IMO.

For memory, any G.Skill flare will do the job. Don't expect frequency higher than 2400 if you have 4 sticks. So if you need 8 or 16GB, go for a dual channel dual stick memory. 

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Where did it go?

Yah. Has it ascended to a higher plane of existence, gone on a quest with a tall dude in grey robes with a bad habit of leaving you at the most dangerous time of your quest to go do something even more dangerous, or become one with the Force?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

If i am correct b350 as x370 will be compatible with next ryzen generation do you think it is worthy to go for a high end board such as x370 strix ?

about that board i don't see the difference with the b350 strix except for sli compatibility

thank you for your amazingly fast answer :)

I have a slightly different Gigabyte motherboard myself: Ab350M DH3 which is matx.

Few things to consider:

1) I find that the board is perfectly capable of modest overclock: I am sitting at 3.8 on all cores at 1.306v on the stock cooler with a 1600 no problems

2) The gigabyte boards I liked that they had more features than similarly priced ones from other brands like Asus: In my case 4 fan headers instead of just 3 which is minor since it saves me from buying fan hubs but still nice.

3) This board did come with an older bios 1.0.0.4 Agesa so yours probably will as well. Keep this in mind when buying RAM make sure you check for compatibility to make sure you can at least do your initial boot at 2133 to upgrade the BIOS or buy supported memory from the get go.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, leyone said:

If i am correct b350 as x370 will be compatible with next ryzen generation do you think it is worthy to go for a high end board such as x370 strix ?

about that board i don't see the difference with the b350 strix except for sli compatibility

thank you for your amazingly fast answer :)

Any AM4 will last, as "AMD stated", for 4 years and for all refresh of the Zen architecture.

X370 SHOULD have better build quality (but that's totally not guaranteed) and better audio, and SLI support. That's it. Everything else is the same, but very high end motherboards have more I/O or a separated controller for memory tuning.

If you want to save up some money, go B350. If you don't mind and want the "teorically" best possible build quality, go X370.

ErrantNyles what is your mobo ? you seem quite pleased about it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (€218.78 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€92.99 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€131.62 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €443.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-01 16:47 CEST+0200

Only difference between B350 and X370 is a few less SATA ports and no multi-GPu support

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Only difference between B350 and X370 is a few less SATA ports and no multi-GPu support

...besides crossfireX...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

thank you ;:) but if possible i would like to avoid amazon i had issues with them ordered brand new computer components and received old ones

with what ErrantNyles said i am all the way more interested in the strix b350 does someone know great ram to go along with it ?

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

...besides crossfireX...

Oh, can B350 do crossfire? Even less difference, then.

1 minute ago, leyone said:

thank you ;:) but if possible i would like to avoid amazon i had issues with them ordered brand new computer components and received old ones

with what ErrantNyles said i am all the way more interested in the strix b350 does someone know great ram to go along with it ?

16GB of corsair LPX DDR4 2666MHz RAM would be ideal. If pricing is limited with your budget than 8GB of corsair LPX DDR4 2400MHz would be ideal if your on a budget.

and do you think the b350 strix can sustain a 3.9 / 4 ghz oc constant ?

A B350 board should be alright, but if you have the funds go for a X370. For ram, the corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 mHz should be fine. No Ram issues with it so far, and it was also sent to reviewers so it should be good

A B350 motherboard should be able to hold the 3.9-4.0GHz overclock.

no worries r5 1600 costs 235 euros and b350 strix 140 which means 375 in total i can spend around 150 euros in ram without problem

Just now, ChackoM said:

A B350 board should be alright, but if you have the funds go for a X370. For ram, the corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 mHz should be fine. No Ram issues with it so far, and it was also sent to reviewers so it should be good

ALWAYS check the manufacture's QVL before settling on a RAM kit.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

i plan to upgrade to a masterliquid 240 for christmas :) until then i keep the stock cooler

7 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

Oh, can B350 do crossfire? Even less difference, then.

9 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

...besides crossfireX...

some x370 doesn't supprt SLI

some b350 doesn't support XF

Just now, leyone said:

i plan to upgrade to a masterliquid 240 for christmas :) until then i keep the stock cooler

masterliquid 240 isn't a great cooler for the price given, you better off with stock cooler or a good air cooler

if you want AIO you would need to look at h100i, h105i or kraken X62

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

ALWAYS check the manufacture's QVL before settling on a RAM kit.

Yup. If I'm not wrong, the Corsair Vengeance LPX is on the QVL

finally it would be :

r5 1600                                              235 euros

asus b350 strix                                  140 euros

corsair vengeance lpx 3200 cas 16   132 euros

507 euros

other suggestions ?