Cinebench r15 an Unreliable Benchmark tool?

I may be speaking for just myself here, and I'm not saying this is the same with everyone. 

I ran the Cinebench OpenGL benchmark on my PC with my original GTX 980, and it scored about 130. I ran the same exact test when I got my GTX 1080 ti, and it actually scored significantly lower, at 70. The card itself is perfectly fine in every other game or benchmark, but the results seem to be so screwed up here.

My CPU showed similarly skewed results. Cinebench gave my i7 4790k a 777 score, which makes no sense. I ran geekbench 4 and this was my score https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3572787 . (which is on par with most non OC'd 4790Ks)

I'm just saying it's definitely a bad test, it seems like an unreliable benchmark PC hardware according to these odd results i've encountered (even after running the tests multiple times). Maybe it's just me, or have any of you encountered "off" cinebench scores too?

i don't know if anyone actually does the Cinebench OpenGL bench and use that to measure performance.

Geekbench as far as I can tell fucking loves ARM, to the point where a A10/A9X can perform/outperform a m3/i5 ultra shit CPU..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, DarkKnightVFX said:

I may be speaking for just myself here, and I'm not saying this is the same with everyone. 

I ran the Cinebench OpenGL benchmark on my PC with my original GTX 980, and it scored about 130. I ran the same exact test when I got my GTX 1080 ti, and it actually scored significantly lower, at 70. The card itself is perfectly fine in every other game or benchmark, but the results seem to be so screwed up here.

My CPU showed similarly skewed results. Cinebench gave my i7 4790k a 777 score, which makes no sense. I ran geekbench 4 and this was my score https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3572787 . (which is on par with most non OC'd 4790Ks)

I'm just saying it's definitely a bad test, it seems like an unreliable benchmark PC hardware according to these odd results i've encountered (even after running the tests multiple times). Maybe it's just me, or have any of you encountered "off" cinebench scores too?

The OpenGL test is massively affected by the single thread performance of ones processor.

So don't use it. 

For the actual CPU test there's a variety of factors such as CPU clock, cache clock, memory clock and memory timings, all of which can affect score. 

Also if you happen to have tons of open tasks or maybe even some light ones they'll affect the score too. Usually people who complain about low scores are also rendering a video for some insane reason. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

cinebench is one of the the most reliable benchmarks 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

sainebench is a CPU benchmark !!!!!!

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

sainebench is a CPU benchmark !!!!!!

But isn't cinebench comes from cinema so it would have all those glorious visual effects and therefore more gpu.. im not sober

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

But isn't cinebench comes from cinema so it would have all those glorious visual effects and therefore more gpu.. im not sober

saijne-bench

sii pii juu

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

im not sober

^^^

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

saijne-bench

sii pii juu

neither is this guy. He's binned in the gutter

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DarkKnightVFX said:

I'd spend more time looking at the way you're testing than if the Cinebench is reliable.  I can assure you that it is.

As others have stated, background tasks and other things will impact your score.  Make sure that you are shutting off any an all tasks running in the background that may impact consistency.  

12 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

^^^

neither is this guy. He's binned in the gutter

fite me on 3DMark

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2017 at 4:36 PM, DildorTheDecent said:

The OpenGL test is massively affected by the single thread performance of ones processor.

So don't use it. 

For the actual CPU test there's a variety of factors such as CPU clock, cache clock, memory clock and memory timings, all of which can affect score. 

Also if you happen to have tons of open tasks or maybe even some light ones they'll affect the score too. Usually people who complain about low scores are also rendering a video for some insane reason. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I was hella confused when my gtx 960 was only getting a ~65 fps avg, and my processor was a phenom ii x6 1035t. I guess the processors single-core speed made the opengl test perform bad.