Looking For Mirrorless Camera

Hello LTT,

I am considering to find a mirrorless camera. I don't mind buying an older generation mirrorless camera whether it is used, refurbished or new as can long it is "cheap." My budget is under $200. 

Thank you, 

2 minutes ago, Ryou-kun said:

Hello LTT,

I am considering to find a mirrorless camera. I don't mind buying an older generation mirrorless camera whether it is used, refurbished or new as can long it is "cheap." My budget is under $200. 

Thank you, 

Well under $200, I don't think you will have that many choices.  You may be able to find something like an old Sony NEX series mirrorless camera on the second hand market, but I doubt you will get any of the newer series like the A5000 or A6000 models.  You may also be able to find some options from Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji like the Fuji X100.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Well for under 200 you won't get much at all. I'd try to save up more as I don't even a old NEX would go for that little. I've seen the A5000 go for around 300-350 and those are about the cheapest ones. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

2 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Well under $200, I don't think you will have that many choices.  You may be able to find something like an old Sony NEX series mirrorless camera on the second hand market, but I doubt you will get any of the newer series like the A5000 or A6000 models.  You may also be able to find some options from Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji like the Fuji X100.

2 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Well for under 200 you won't get much at all. I'd try to save up more as I don't even a old NEX would go for that little. I've seen the A5000 go for around 300-350 and those are about the cheapest ones. 

I do agree that I won't get much and need to spend more for it. It is just that I can't justify for a $300-$400 camera. I mean I only use it for important things like my cousin's wedding, nice vacation, etc. 

Sure, my smartphone could do that without requiring me to spend single dollar for a camera, but it won't matched the quality of the actual camera with its optical zoom which smartphones doesn't have. Again, I believe used or refurbished ones could work, but I don't understand cameras that much. 

Like maybe Olympus E-PM2, Samsung NX1100, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1, Sony Alpha Nex-5, etc. Those were used and under $200 on eBay. Again, I don't know if they are any good since I don't have an internet nor computer at my grandma's house, and I'm just using my phone on data plan. 

I could possibly bump up my budget to under $300 used, refurbished or new if there isn't any good old used ones for under $200. Maybe like Fujitsu X-E1 for $249 on eBay. 

58 minutes ago, Ryou-kun said:

I mean I only use it for important things like my cousin's wedding, nice vacation, etc. 

This would be a good an excuse as any to buy a decent camera.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

50 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Agree. And if you don't want to spend much maybe a compact camera would be a smart option tbh. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

6 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

5 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Agree. And if you don't want to spend much maybe a compact camera would be a smart option tbh. 

Exactly. :P

I tried looking up for point and shoot camera such as Sony DSC-W830, and I didn't really like it. Image quality felt a bit of worse than my smartphone IMO which I end up returning it. Plus I didn't realized how small the camera (Target didn't have it on display and it was in bundle that includes SD card and carrying case. 

That is why I was looking at mirrorless. It has a "compact" form and interchangeable lens. 

Again, I don't understand cameras specs that much. I thought I needed to find a biggest aperture, F/1.4 but couldn't because those ended up being F/2.3 or F/3.3. Then there are sensors like CCD and CMOS and I have no idea which one is good. So on and on about the rest. I did look it up for info about it and was thrown in confusion. 

15 minutes ago, Ryou-kun said:

Again, I don't understand cameras specs that much. I thought I needed to find a biggest aperture, F/1.4 but couldn't because those ended up being F/2.3 or F/3.3. Then there are sensors like CCD and CMOS and I have no idea which one is good. So on and on about the rest. I did look it up for info about it and was thrown in confusion. 

CCD and CMOS differences are mainly how they are manufactured and how they capture/process the signal.  In modern cameras both are pretty similar in terms of performance so you don't have to worry about them, especially at your budget level.

As for aperture or f-stop, the wider the f-stop the more expensive the lens tends to be.  Especially if the lens is a constant aperture lens.

The Fuji XE1 is a good camera, I have used its successor the XE2 on occasion.  If you are able to get your hands one one in good condition it will serve your purpose.

Another suggestion, I strongly recommend you read this article and perhaps follow this photographer's website.  He has a lot of resources to help people looking to buy a camera or get into photography in one form or another.

https://photographylife.com/how-to-buy-used-dslr-cameras

2 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

CCD and CMOS differences are mainly how they are manufactured and how they capture/process the signal.  In modern cameras both are pretty similar in terms of performance so you don't have to worry about them, especially at your budget level.

As for aperture or f-stop, the wider the f-stop the more expensive the lens tends to be.  Especially if the lens is a constant aperture lens.

The Fuji XE1 is a good camera, I have used its successor the XE2 on occasion.  If you are able to get your hands one one in good condition it will serve your purpose.

Another suggestion, I strongly recommend you read this article and perhaps follow this photographer's website.  He has a lot of resources to help people looking to buy a camera or get into photography in one form or another.

https://photographylife.com/how-to-buy-used-dslr-cameras

Ooh, thanks. It helps clarify it up. 

Just curious. What about those cameras that I mentioned that is under $200 on eBay? Are they worth it or what? 

I'm not sure I read this correctly, but you are buying a $200 camera for your sister's wedding? I hope for the life of me you aren't going to be the only photographer there...

Now, the x-e1 is as good an option as any, although I doubt you could get it for $200 including a lens. The cheapest one out there is I believe the 16-50mm which goes for ~$150 on ebay I would imagine, + that amount for the camera itself. The x-a1 I could possibly see going for that much and it should be better than anything you'd get at that price range in the point and shoot department. 

You may be able to get something like an eos m10 or an older sony nex...

But honestly, I'd stick with using my phone at that price range. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

29 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I'm not sure I read this correctly, but you are buying a $200 camera for your sister's wedding? I hope for the life of me you aren't going to be the only photographer there...

Now, the x-e1 is as good an option as any, although I doubt you could get it for $200 including a lens. The cheapest one out there is I believe the 16-50mm which goes for ~$150 on ebay I would imagine, + that amount for the camera itself. The x-a1 I could possibly see going for that much and it should be better than anything you'd get at that price range in the point and shoot department. 

You may be able to get something like an eos m10 or an older sony nex...

But honestly, I'd stick with using my phone at that price range. 

My cousin's wedding not my sister. I don't have a sister. :S

No, I'm not the only photographer in the wedding. I am pretty sure my cousin hired a professional photographer. I wanted it because I traveled from another state to my cousin's wedding with my family. It is for memories and I don't need any fancy features that I won't use or justify the costs of using it. 

Again, I mostly use it for my relatives weddings or on a vacation like I'm on right now with my family. 

I agree smartphones work just that I had issue with my phone camera app that made me mad. There are rare occasion that the camera app crashes and I lost all of the pictures that I took before it. Again, I'm not looking any features like recording 4K or whatever. It seem nice but prefer having a dedicated camera which my phone is fine with recording 4K videos. 

Yeah, like I said, I'm getting an older get mirrorless camera not the recent ones. Like Olympus E-PM2, Samsung NX1100, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1, Sony Alpha Nex-5 and more. It would be under $200 at eBay used. 

14 hours ago, Ryou-kun said:

My cousin's wedding not my sister. I don't have a sister. :S

No, I'm not the only photographer in the wedding. I am pretty sure my cousin hired a professional photographer. I wanted it because I traveled from another state to my cousin's wedding with my family. It is for memories and I don't need any fancy features that I won't use or justify the costs of using it. 

Again, I mostly use it for my relatives weddings or on a vacation like I'm on right now with my family. 

I agree smartphones work just that I had issue with my phone camera app that made me mad. There are rare occasion that the camera app crashes and I lost all of the pictures that I took before it. Again, I'm not looking any features like recording 4K or whatever. It seem nice but prefer having a dedicated camera which my phone is fine with recording 4K videos. 

Yeah, like I said, I'm getting an older get mirrorless camera not the recent ones. Like Olympus E-PM2, Samsung NX1100, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1, Sony Alpha Nex-5 and more. It would be under $200 at eBay used. 

just setup amazon drive/google drive/dropbox/icloud/onedrive to backup photos to the cloud automatically and save yourself the $200

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

It's hard but the Sony DSC-H300 does not seem to be as bad of a pick...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace