Several Execs Abandon the Essential Phone Before Launch

It looks like there may be some trouble behind the scenes at Essential. We've already seen the release date delayed nearly 60 days (as of July 28) from the "official release" promised May 30. Now, it looks like some folks within the company are leaving for greener pastures:

http://www.androidauthority.com/essential-executives-departing-company-790493/

In the first half of this month, Essential lost two of its high-ranked employees — VP of marketing Brian Wallace and head of communication Andy Fouché. Neither of them were strangers to vaporware, as they were part of the controversial AR startup Magic Leap before joining Rubin’s Essential...

...Today, it was revealed that another top talent has left Rubin’s company. Liron Damir, former head of UX at Essential, has taken a new role at Google. Oddly enough, his new position is almost the same of that he held at Rubin’s startup — he’ll be the head of UX for Google Home.

With Essential losing three of its top executives in just a month, the future isn’t looking so bright for Rubin’s dream project. Usually, such mass departures of high-ranked employees signify turmoil in the company.

http://pocketnow.com/2017/07/28/key-essential-executive-departure-google-home-hiring

For his part, Big G’s newly appointed Google Home Head of UX, Liron Damir, expressed his excitement and pride at joining the tech giant to “lead the design of Google Home products.” Not a single word about his Essential exit in a rather terse Linkedin post earlier this week, despite the separation taking place very recently. Ouch!

Its a shame to watch this happen. I have big hopes for the Essential Phone, and I hope this is just a result of startup growing pains; but it looks like the "rats fleeing a sinking ship" metaphor is more likely (apologies to the executives for being compared to rats; and the rats for being compared to executives).

Edited by Qub3d
clarification added to first quote

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Looks more like they got tired of startup pay, and having done their job, they moved on. They  were probably getting paid in stocks and left now that the phone is ready for release or something to that affect.

lets just hope those who've reserved it, put it on a credit card, as they'd have a chance of seeing their money again.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

5 hours ago, ashypanda said:

lets just hope those who've reserved it, put it on a credit card, as they'd have a chance of seeing their money again.

I don't doubt we will eventually see it, I just doubt it will be sold in any significant amount beyond preorders, and I doubt the phone will have a company to support it...

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Hmm, well phone looks very nice and really wish to see it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |