SSD suggestion.

Hip

Hey guys,

I would like to buy my first SSD!

On ebay I've seen some cheap ones.

My games are mostly Squad, Battlefield 1 and Company of Heroes 2. Some times The Elder Scrolls Online too.

I would like to get my shooters running better.

1. Would a used SSD be ok?

2. Do I need a huge SSD with more than 500 GB for games?

I found those recently:

Crucial 525GB MX300 for 120 $

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for 80 $ (used)

I would appreciate any advice and fast reply, because the ebay stuff is gone soon ;-)

Thank you in advance!

-Hip

On ebay there should be a few 500 GB SSD for about 115-120$ from samsung, Ive been looking the past few days and found plenty in the 100-120 range. Yes its fine to buy them, i would even buy that crucial drive.

I wouldn't get a used SSD. 

500GB would be really handy for games, though you could scrape by with 250.

I'd get the Crucial MX300, it's a solid SSD. The one in my Mac is running fine, dual booting windows and transferring a bunch of files and all kinds of stuff. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

I would like to buy my first SSD!

On ebay I've seen some cheap ones.

My games are mostly Squad, Battlefield 1 and Company of Heroes 2. Some times The Elder Scrolls Online too.

I would like to get my shooters running better.

1. Would a used SSD be ok?

2. Do I need a huge SSD with more than 500 GB for games?

I found those recently:

Crucial 525GB MX300 for 120 $

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for 80 $ (used)

I would appreciate any advice and fast reply, because the ebay stuff is gone soon ;-)

Thank you in advance!

-Hip

if you can get the seller to run a test or something (there's some software out there) then buying used would be no problem.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I have the 525gb Mx300 myself and can say its a great SSD. Much faster than the crap one I got when I purchased the PC. All of those games are rather large so I think the 525 would be the better choice, but 250 would still work IMO.

But, SSDs do have a degradation of performance over time. If these SSDs were just for personal use for a year or less I would say youre fine. But, if they were used for any kind of hard workloads, like a drive for a video editing machine you could see major degradation much sooner.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Did you hear about "Silicon Power" company that produces SSD's`? I've seen that they are pretty cheap but can I rely on them?

2 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

if you can get the seller to run a test or something (there's some software out there) then buying used would be no problem.

It's not that.Viruses

My life

1 minute ago, Moress said:

I have the 525gb Mx300 myself and can say its a great SSD. Much faster than the crap one I got when I purchased the PC. All of those games are rather large so I think the 525 would be the better choice, but 250 would still work IMO.

But, SSDs do have a degradation of performance over time. If these SSDs were just for personal use for a year or less I would say youre fine. But, if they were used for any kind of hard workloads, like a drive for a video editing machine you could see major degradation much sooner.

I would only use it for gaming. For more than 1 year for sure lol.

Some great budget ssd arethe intenso ssds.

NOT THE ONES WITH TOP IN THE NAME THEY ARE MUCH SLOWER!!!

but the regular ones are faster than samsungs 850 evos and a lot cheaper. to store the games you wanted i think a 240 will be plenty but you might want to get a 480 if you might want to expand your library in the future. and if you think you will get better performance from an ssd "i would like to get my shooters running better" that is just not gonna happen all an ssd helps with is loading times.

2 minutes ago, Luxray93 said:

Some great budget ssd arethe intenso ssds.

NOT THE ONES WITH TOP IN THE NAME THEY ARE MUCH SLOWER!!!

but the regular ones are faster than samsungs 850 evos and a lot cheaper. to store the games you wanted i think a 240 will be plenty but you might want to get a 480 if you might want to expand your library in the future. and if you think you will get better performance from an ssd "i would like to get my shooters running better" that is just not gonna happen all an ssd helps with is loading times.

My loading times will sure drop but I thought that I will also have less fps lags or fps drops with this?

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

My loading times will sure drop but I thought that I will also have less fps lags or fps drops with this?

No you will not unless you played games from a usb stick before it will not be different than a harddrive fps wise.