Would a CPU upgrade be worth it?

I currently have an i7 3770k which I feel is starting to get old, I have it paired with a 1080. I am thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 1700 and changing from an ATX board to Micro ATX. 

Outside of gaming at 1080p (144hz) I will be doing very occasional streams, I want to know if upgrading my i7 3770k would be worth it at this point, I have tried looking for gaming benchmarks that compare the older i7's and the new Ryzen but couldn't find any. (If somebody has a link that would be nice) 

I would appreciate any thoughts. 

Well to be honest with you, Ryzen has nearly the same IPC as ivy bridge. So aside from plenty more cores for anything that can use them, it'd be a VERY similar experience overall in games

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

all newer games use all 8 threads, so there wouldnt be any advantage to any newer i7 or ryzen cpu

Just now, Vegetable said:

Well to be honest with you, Ryzen has nearly the same IPC as ivy bridge. So aside from plenty more cores for anything that can use them, it'd be a VERY similar experience overall in games

if not worse

Don't waste your money if you don't need to. There might be a 11% bottleneck at stock speeds.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

tbh , kaby also has similar IPC to ivy bridge ...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

if not worse

wat

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

7 minutes ago, KieranFretwell said:

I currently have an i7 3770k which I feel is starting to get old, I have it paired with a 1080. I am thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 1700 and changing from an ATX board to Micro ATX. 

Outside of gaming at 1080p (144hz) I will be doing very occasional streams, I want to know if upgrading my i7 3770k would be worth it at this point, I have tried looking for gaming benchmarks that compare the older i7's and the new Ryzen but couldn't find any. (If somebody has a link that would be nice) 

I would appreciate any thoughts. 

The question is does the performance of your system satisfy you? If it does there is no need to upgrade. The 3770k especially once overclocked is still a very good cpu nowadays and I would personally wait for another generation of cpus to come along.

2 minutes ago, david cassar said:

The question is does the performance of your system satisfy you? If it does there is no need to upgrade. The 3770k especially once overclocked is still a very good cpu nowadays and I would personally wait for another generation of cpus to come along.

It seems like Ryzen is a good choice for new builds but not worth the upgrade for the people with slightly dated i7's. At least not in my case. 

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

tbh , kaby also has similar IPC to ivy bridge ...

20% or more difference clock for clock but ya similar u rite

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

6 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

20% or more difference clock for clock but ya similar u rite

not really . Ivy to haswell was less than 10 % haswell to skylake was 5%.

Looking at cinebench scores , 6700k at 4.2ghz boost gets 172. 1800x boost to 4ghz gets ~160 .That's 6%

2 minutes ago, KieranFretwell said:

It seems like Ryzen is a good choice for new builds but not worth the upgrade for the people with slightly dated i7's. At least not in my case. 

If you are focusing purely on gaming then yes I would not upgrade to ryzen. However if you are into video editing ryzen would be a huge upgrade.

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Alright im not saying that cinebench r15 is the end all be all answer to CPU comparison, but skylake/kaby lake at 4.5ghz gets 190+cb single core whereas ivy bridge at 4.5ghz is more like 150-160cb single core. Take that as you may but thats a solid difference in speed there. Have a 7700k at 4.5ghz and a 3770k at 4.5ghz with identical specs otherwise (-mobo/ram obviously) and in a side by side test you can definitely tell a difference in games, not to mention thats a STOCK 7700k vs a pretty good 3770k overclock. The difference in speed is more than <10%+5% 

9 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Alright im not saying that cinebench r15 is the end all be all answer to CPU comparison, but skylake/kaby lake at 4.5ghz gets 190+cb single core whereas ivy bridge at 4.5ghz is more like 150-160cb single core. Take that as you may but thats a solid difference in speed there. Have a 7700k at 4.5ghz and a 3770k at 4.5ghz with identical specs otherwise (-mobo/ram obviously) and in a side by side test you can definitely tell a difference in games, not to mention thats a STOCK 7700k vs a pretty good 3770k overclock. The difference in speed is more than <10%+5% 

look at my post again , i updated it with cinebench results.

30 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Looking at cinebench scores , 6700k at 4.2ghz boost gets 172. 1800x boost to 4ghz gets ~160 .That's 6%

6700k gets 172 at 4.2? source? My stock 4790k gets 180 and with my +100mhz over stock turbo i get 185. 

1 hour ago, Vegetable said:

6700k gets 172 at 4.2? source? My stock 4790k gets 180 and with my +100mhz over stock turbo i get 185. 

4790k boosts up to 4.4ghz ...

That's ~5% extra clock , for about 5% extra score.

Some benches see it go near 180 , but my overall point remains the same . Clock for clock , they are within 5% of each other.

1zn95rm.jpg