Help setting up VPN server in US or CA.

Hey guys. So basically I'm trying to access US or Canadian Netflix from here in South Africa. I've tried a few trial vpns but very few work, and those that do work are expensive. It seems netflix has even blocked most VPN datacenters go Amazon AWS/Google Compute/DigitalOcean are all useless too. I'm hoping there's a good samaritan somewhere on this site who's willing to run a VPN server possibly in exchange for a few Bitcoin. Basically it'll only be used for netflix. I've got a separate vpn for torrents etc. Anybody out there with a *nix system that's always on or even a raspberry pi and uncapped internet willing to help a buddy out?(I'm willing to configure everything myself over SSH) Obviously I don't expect high uptime or speed or anything like that. Or at least are you aware of any free/cheap vps services with unblocked IP addresses? 

3 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Try frootvpn. Dunno if they have free trial or blocked by Netflix but they are cheap and unlimited

No free trial and i'm not willing to pay until I know it works...

Just now, bsodmike said:

Couldn't you setup an EC2 instance in the USA and tunnel your traffic say via SSH? Quick example, `ssh -L8080:192.168.1.20:80 server10`

Read my post again :-) I tried that already but netflix has blocked all datacenter ip ranges. It still detects it.

Whatever you pick, make sure you pay monthly because most VPN providers not blocked by Netflix today will be blocked once other users realize it which will make Netflix notice it rather quickly.

-KuJoe

Geeze, that's super next level nasty.  Try reaching out to Rackspace for a dedicated box - tell them you want a non-detectable IP range perhaps?

2 minutes ago, bsodmike said:

Geeze, that's super next level nasty.  Try reaching out to Rackspace for a dedicated box - tell them you want a non-detectable IP range perhaps?

Yeah pretty sneaky... I'm pretty sure a dedicated box won't help because it would still be hosted in the same data center. And it starts getting more expensive than it's worth at that point.

1 hour ago, ryan27968 said:

possibly in exchange for a few Bitcoin.

Few bitcoins (and not part of bitcoins) would seem really nice...

1 hour ago, ryan27968 said:

I've got a separate vpn for torrents etc.

Why do you need Netflix to work anyways?

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Few bitcoins (and not part of bitcoins) would seem really nice...

Why do you need Netflix to work anyways?

My family doesn't like torrents and Netflix is more convenient if it works

Fair enough. Never used Netflix, so I can't really comment on that. And I can understand where non-tech family members get scared of torrents. Although I prefer them above anything else. Having stuff offline makes me feel better for when there are ISP problems or whatever.

7 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Fair enough. Never used Netflix, so I can't really comment on that. And I can understand where non-tech family members get scared of torrents. Although I prefer them above anything else. Having stuff offline makes me feel better for when there are ISP problems or whatever.

It's not even the technical aspect that bothers them. It's more about the morality/legality. I'm also a bit uncomfortable with it. Although I know Geo blocking is just as bad technically, it at least gives credit to the content distributor so I'd rather do it that way if I can 

I've got no real problem with legality, but that's partly due to how dutch law used to be. (downloading was legal, uploading wasn't) Things changed, and depending on what you download from where has become illegal, where they only try to catch your random big player/commercial people.

Morality... Whole different story. I'm rather poor and unemployed. Couldn't pay for my content anyways, so there is no real loss to them content creators. I don't profit from downloading stuff, because I don't gain any kind of money from it. Not even "status" for having the best/the most or share amongst friends. Sooo... No loss at all when looking at them content creators.