Variable speed pump?

Most water cooling systems I have took the time to read the manual says to set the CPU fan header to 100%. The one that powers the pump.

What if I don't? What if I let it vary the pump speed by temps?

Will this damage the pump?

you will be fine running it with a PWM fan control. Its how I run my DDC from EK in my loop. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

you will be fine running it with a PWM fan control. Its how I run my DDC from EK in my loop. 

Do you set it to 100% or to auto?

Just now, mckrackin5324 said:

no I set a curve for it to ramp up based on temps of my CPU. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

Thanks

30 minutes ago, mckrackin5324 said:

29 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

It doesn't make so much sense to change the speed of the pump with cpu temps because pump speed does not affect the dissipation too much, its better to find a place that is audibly fine for you and leave it there at a fixed rpm that gives you a decent flow (people say 1 gpm, normally) This part is personal, but I find a change in noise (change in rpm) far more annoying than a constant whirr. Since the LAing pumps are sensitive to the water temperature (max rated temp of 65 degrees), it does however make sense to ramp the fans when the water creeps above 55C.

This regards to OPs original question, this instruction is usually true for 3-pin AIOs that expect a constant voltage supply (Asetek pumps), for 4-pin they are PWM controlled as legacy99 mentions.