Used gtx 980

nuclear465

Good night. 

I have the opportunity to buy a used evga gtx 980 sc acx 2.0 for 250€.

Considering that a gtx 980 is equivalent to the gtx 1060 in terms of performance and where i live these cost around 400 € new.

Do you guys think I should get it?

Currently I have a r9 280x and I game on a 1080p 60hz monitor. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

How good of a condition is the 980 in? What was it used for? Was it overclocked really high?

What games do you play on 1080? Do you currently have lower FPS than you'd like to have in those games? If so, does that warrant buying new?

Maybe save up if it is just 150€ more to buy a new 1060?

4 minutes ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

A 980ti isn't that much more, id say that instead.

I agree whole-heartedly with this

Moist

4 minutes ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

A 980ti isn't that much more, id say that instead.

Can't find a 980ti near me. I live in a small island far from the mainland. It s very hard to find quality used hardware. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

46 minutes ago, nuclear465 said:

Can't find a 980ti near me. I live in a small island far from the mainland. It s very hard to find quality used hardware. 

In that case just go with the 980, you can probably play games medium-high on 1080p for another 1 or 2 years

3 hours ago, nuclear465 said:

Good night. 

I have the opportunity to buy a used evga gtx 980 sc acx 2.0 for 250€.

Considering that a gtx 980 is equivalent to the gtx 1060 in terms of performance and where i live these cost around 400 € new.

Do you guys think I should get it?

Currently I have a r9 280x and I game on a 1080p 60hz monitor. 

If you can get a 980 and the performance is similar to a 1060 6gb that costs that much more, just get the 980.

Verify it works fine before taking it home. 

A 980 with a decent overclock on it can be quite a bit faster than a 1060 at times, seeing as its marginally faster than a 1060 already. And since there are some pretty hard caps on what you can do with it unless you mod the card's BIOS, you can't really damage it. It'll crash sooner than it'll let you cause any real damage. So, assuming the card is in good condition, I'd say go for it. And regarding the card being overclocked by its previous user, if he's overclocked it, I'd even go as far as asking him what his daily use Core and Memory overclock was. A good overclocker of a card can usually sweeten the deal some more.

EDIT: All bets are off though if you're terribly worried about warranty. Although having said that (someone who knows better is welcome to correct me), I believe EVGA allows warranty transfers. So depending on when he bought the card, and whether or not you can transfer the warranty, it may still have a year or more on it.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

2 hours ago, LooneyJuice said:

A 980 with a decent overclock on it can be quite a bit faster than a 1060 at times, seeing as its marginally faster than a 1060 already. And since there are some pretty hard caps on what you can do with it unless you mod the card's BIOS, you can't really damage it. It'll crash sooner than it'll let you cause any real damage. So, assuming the card is in good condition, I'd say go for it. And regarding the card being overclocked by its previous user, if he's overclocked it, I'd even go as far as asking him what his daily use Core and Memory overclock was. A good overclocker of a card can usually sweeten the deal some more.

EDIT: All bets are off though if you're terribly worried about warranty. Although having said that (someone who knows better is welcome to correct me), I believe EVGA allows warranty transfers. So depending on when he bought the card, and whether or not you can transfer the warranty, it may still have a year or more on it.

Thanks. 

I'll check the card and if it's fine I'll buy it.