4.8 Ghz push more for overclock?

Hello,

I have been overclocking my new watercooled rig recently for my delidded i7-7820X.

Right now I have found stability at 4.8 Ghz and 1.25 V with max temps around 80°C for package and 76~ for highest core temp.

I used AIDA 64 and 3d Mark Timespy to stress test 1hr each (for now). Is this a bad method? I don't want to push my system to the maximum like Prime95 when I know I'll never be giving workloads as heavy as AIDA64 to the CPU in the first place.

Should I go for more performance or just stop now? I'm thinking of pushing up to 1.275 V, is this safe?

Its my first time trying to OC and I don't want to fry my system.

Thanks everyone :)

i'd stick with 4.8 ghz. how hot are the vrm's getting?

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

2 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

i'd stick with 4.8 ghz. how hot are the vrm's getting?

Not sure, is there a way to check with HWMonitor? 

2 minutes ago, NerfThis said:

not that i know of. only thing i know is that x299 has some vrm heat problems

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Just now, Glennieboyyy007 said:

not that i know of. only thing i know is that x299 has some vrm heat problems

Yeah heard the news but haven't been experiencing any on my end. From my understanding I would be experiencing throttling issues if VRM temps where an issue.

@NerfThis i googled and the only way to know the temps is when you buy a heat "gun" reader. so it's a shame but you cant know it through software.

i'd stick with this oc as it is stable for you.

8 minutes ago, NerfThis said:

Check the software that came with the board and it should say. I know Asus has it. Really though I don't see you needing a much higher clock than you already have. HWinfo also shows it and compared to everything else I am seeing, it seems to be accurate. I don't think all boards will show the temp but I would assume an X299 board has the feature.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

@ybriK 

OMG should I downclock.. those are pretty similar numbers to my core T_T...... (also the reason I don't want to go crazy with Prime95)

3 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

i'd stick with this oc as it is stable for you.

3 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

Check the software that came with the board and it should say. I know Asus has it. Really though I don't see you needing a much higher clock than you already have.

Thx everyone for the help! I honestly have no clue what I'm doing hopefully I don't kill my CPU :/

Any opinions on stress testing method?

4 minutes ago, NerfThis said:

@ybriK 

OMG should I downclock.. those are pretty similar numbers to my core T_T...... (also the reason I don't want to go crazy with Prime95)

Thx everyone for the help! I honestly have no clue what I'm doing hopefully I don't kill my CPU :/

Any opinions on stress testing method?

Then why did you get a 7820? Just curious what you're going to use it for.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

9 minutes ago, ybriK said:

You might want to stop there...

Pliz. If you know what you're doing, you won't burn any pins. @done12many2 pushed his 7900X to much more intensive loads than Steve did and he didn't burn any pins.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Pliz. If you know what you're doing, you won't burn any pins. @done12many2 pushed his 7900X to much more intensive loads than Steve did and he didn't burn any pins.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you see in a Hardware Unboxed video.  Steve's been doing his best to drum up viewership here lately and negativity sells.  Watch his Skylake-X related videos and it's no surprise that he had a one-of-kind burning pins issue.

Hey, maybe he had a defective Skylake-X chip to begin with and should consider redoing all of his testing?

Either way, small channel trying to become big.  Drama helps.  

25 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you know what you're doing, you won't burn any pins.

Lolz, how would that work on an Intel CPU...

Don't down clock idure that's just his board otherwise all cpus would burn at that voltage 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

10 hours ago, done12many2 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about what you see in a Hardware Unboxed video.  Steve's been doing his best to drum up viewership here lately and negativity sells.  Watch his Skylake-X related videos and it's no surprise that he had a one-of-kind burning pins issue.

Hey, maybe he had a defective Skylake-X chip to begin with and should consider redoing all of his testing?

Either way, small channel trying to become big.  Drama helps.  

And I should trust your point of view because? What exactly do you have to offer that Steve has? Perhaps you should make similar videos when Threadripper comes out so that you too can be "Either way, small channel trying to become big.  Drama helps. "

Have you never thought of another small channel doing that same thing against AMD "trying to become big"?

3 minutes ago, ybriK said:

And I should trust your point of view because??? What exactly do you have to offer that Steve has? Perhaps you should make similar videos when Threadripper comes out so that you too can be "Either way, small channel trying to become big.  Drama helps. "

Have you never thought of another small channel doing that same thing against AMD "trying to become big"?

I could honestly care less if you trust my point of view as I know you're hear just to raise issue in yet another x299 thread.  We know.  You prefer AMD Ryzen / Threadripper.  No need to disclose that as it's quite obvious.  

"AMD or nothing", right?  After all, isn't the quote below something you just said less than 24 hours ago in another x299 thread?

People love when they think they have bad news to deliver to what they consider the losing team.

Then again, maybe you don't have an agenda.

22 hours ago, ybriK said:

Who do you think would win in a fight? A glue or toothpaste?

AMD or nothing.

25 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I could honestly care less if you trust my point of view as I know you're hear just to raise issue in yet another x299 thread.  We know.  You prefer AMD Ryzen / Threadripper.  No need to disclose that as it's quite obvious.  

"AMD or nothing", right?  After all, isn't the quote below something you just said less than 24 hours ago in another x299 thread?

People love when they think they have bad news to deliver to what they consider the losing team.

Then again, maybe you don't have an agenda.

Just stating facts. What exactly does X299 have to offer that Threadripper can't? AVX 512? If I really had an agenda against Intel I wouldn't have picked up this 2700K on release date against the significantly cheaper 8350. Why the hell would I buy the losing 8350 even if it was wayyy cheaper.

Nothing of a concern here, overclocking has never guaranteed anyone any sort of a safety net. Some chips will fry and some chips will happily chug along. Doesn't matter how many "anti-fry your chip" manufacturers put in, It will go wrong if it decides to. 

If you feel like your chip can handle it. I don't see what's stopping you. You've already taken the gamble. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case