1080 ti + 970 in same PC?

Hello lovely Linus Tech Tips Community!

I currently use a Zotac GTX 970 in my system and am considering to buy a 1080 TI to upgrade.

Is it possible to have both cards in my system for gaming and occasionally hobby-mining? If so, how do I go about the drivers? 

Thanks in advance.

Mining is dying (again) and the 970 will offer nothing with a 1080 Ti installed.

You can have both installed, but I can't see a reason to.

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Mining is dying (again) and the 970 will offer nothing with a 1080 Ti installed.

You can have both installed, but I can't see a reason to.

With all due respect, but your response was not very helpful. 

You can mine on both cards at once, or just one if you want. The only software I know of is NiceHash, which I ran a Radeon HD 7770 and a Radeon R9 270 on, and it mined on both cards.

PC Specs :

Main System:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8 GHz

CPU Cooler: Stock - My AIO died

RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz DDR4

Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro

PSU: Corsair CS550m

Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO / 1TB Seagate Barracuda / 6TB Seagate IronWolf NAS

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 TG

Monitor: Acer 27” Monitor KG271 144Hz / LG 29UM67-P / 24" Dell UltraSharp Monitor

Audio: Sennheiser HD 599 headphones / Blue Yeti microphone

Mouse: Glorious Model O / Logitech G903

Keyboard: HyperX Alloy FPS

Laptop - Dell G5 15 5590 SE:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H

RAM: 8GB DDR4

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1660 TI

Secondary PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k

RAM: 24GB G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Generic Azza 500W Power Supply (It's probably about to blow up)

Case: InWin 805 Infinity (never buy this case)

2 minutes ago, Tokeegee said:

You can mine on both cards at once, or just one if you want. The only software I know of is NiceHash, which I ran a Radeon HD 7770 and a Radeon R9 270 on, and it mined on both cards.

Thank you for clarifying that. As far as driver installation is concerned, how do I got about that? And will it affect video game applications in any way? 

1 minute ago, Massimo480 said:

With all due respect, but your response was not very helpful. 

Neither is bothering with mining with a 970. Enjoy the upgrade, that is far more worth the effort that trying to mine with Nvidis cards with a leaking mining bubble.

Just now, Massimo480 said:

Thank you for clarifying that. As far as driver installation is concerned, how do I got about that? And will it affect video game applications in any way? 

NVidia drivers are universal accross all cards since at least the 600 series I believe. Probably even before, so your 970 drivers should work with the 1080 TI. You should be able to just plug n' play.

PC Specs :

Main System:

Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO / 1TB Seagate Barracuda / 6TB Seagate IronWolf NAS

Monitor: Acer 27” Monitor KG271 144Hz / LG 29UM67-P / 24" Dell UltraSharp Monitor

Secondary PC:

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Neither is bothering with mining with a 970. Enjoy the upgrade, that is far more worth the effort that trying to mine with Nvidis cards with a leaking mining bubble.

You sound like you are very emotionally invested in this "mining bubble". What if I told you that I have made a significant amount of money by investing into Cryptocurrencies, and as far as today is concerned, I enjoy the intriguing process of mining, and while I don't have a warehouse full of computer systems mining away, I simply enjoy learning about it to further my knowledge.

https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

7 minutes ago, Tokeegee said:

NVidia drivers are universal accross all cards since at least the 600 series I believe. Probably even before, so your 970 drivers should work with the 1080 TI. You should be able to just plug n' play.

You've been super helpful, thank you! 

You've been super helpful, thank you! 

No problem!

PC Specs :

Main System:

Secondary PC:

USe the 970 as a PhysX Card.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

19 minutes ago, Massimo480 said:

It will not affect gaming.

8 minutes ago, Jrock said:

USe the 970 as a PhysX Card.

That will barely improve performance tbh and would just output more heat to the system, no point imo

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

That will barely improve performance tbh and would just output more heat to the system, no point imo

But you gotta be a 1/1000 that uses PhysX lol

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

2 minutes ago, Jrock said:

But you gotta be a 1/1000 that uses PhysX lol

lol!

25 minutes ago, Massimo480 said:

You sound like you are very emotionally invested in this "mining bubble". What if I told you that I have made a significant amount of money by investing into Cryptocurrencies, and as far as today is concerned, I enjoy the intriguing process of mining, and while I don't have a warehouse full of computer systems mining away, I simply enjoy learning about it to further my knowledge.

then "hobby" mine with the 1080ti, its not worth the power of having the 970 plugged in imo.

though there is no reason why you cant have both in.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

then "hobby" mine with the 1080ti, its not worth the power of having the 970 plugged in imo.

though there is no reason why you cant have both in.

I suppose :)

A few quick questions: 

1. Could I game with one card and mine with one card at the same time, or will video games pick both cards up as they start?

2. If I down-clock the voltage every time I mine on my 1080 TI then and then put it back to default voltage, is that something bad long-term for the card or no? To my understanding, down-clocking is not bad, but the constant back and forth? 

or will video games pick both cards up as they start?

they wont and cant do that. the primary GPU (top slot, monitor plugged into) will be used.

2. If I down-clock the voltage every time I mine on my 1080 TI then and then put it back to default voltage, is that something bad long-term for the card or no? To my understanding, down-clocking is not bad, but the constant back and forth? 

How exactly to you plan to undervolt?

------

You can use your 970 as a physx card I believe.

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

they wont and cant do that. the primary GPU (top slot, monitor plugged into) will be used.

How exactly to you plan to undervolt?

------

You can use your 970 as a physx card I believe.

Learned something new, thanks.

Isn't under-volting  a thing for saving electricity? I see it all over YouTube/Google. But then again I haven't seen the GPU utilities allow to go below +0. 

Isn't under-volting  a thing for saving electricity? I see it all over YouTube/Google. But then again I haven't seen the GPU utilities allow to go below +0. 

I'm not aware of undervolting software for nvidia cards, if you want to save power on your 1080ti:

do nothing.

in other words don't enable: prefer maximum performance in the control panel.

4 hours ago, Massimo480 said:

I suppose :)

A few quick questions: 

1. Could I game with one card and mine with one card at the same time, or will video games pick both cards up as they start?

It would only pick up both cards if you are doing dx12 or something as that can use any graphic card configuration as a sli/cf like if you wanted to put a 1080ti and a rx 580 and use both for gaming DX12 would do that so in games that u are using DX12 you would have to use dx11 or make sure you are not using the 970.