DRM 4K content on any CPU with Intel SGX?

Okay, I'm planning to build a HTPC for watching 4k content on a TV for my parents, as they're getting a 4K TV.

I was under the impression you need a Kaby CPU to get past the DRM (PlayReady 3.0 or whatever it's called).

So I was planning to grab a AsRock Desk Mini 110, update the BIOS using a 6700k (pop it out of the missus's system while she's at work), then sticking a G4600 (G4600 over G4560 due to general availability and better iGPU), 8gb of ram, and a small SSD+hard drive.

This should work fine as far as I'm aware, correct me if I'm wrong. As far as I can tell it shouldn't matter that the mobo is a Skylake H110 chipset.

Then the new video on 4k content came out, and Linus says a CPU with Intel SGX will do the job. Looking at intel's website, Skylake CPUs support SGX, and I can buy a used i3 6100 (which supprots SGX) for less than a G4600.

Can a system with a Skylake CPU play 4k Netflix and Amazon video?

Can anyone with a Skylake chips and a 4k monitor confirm?

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Ya know... Most 4K Smart TVs have built in Amazon and NetFlix support, right?  If this is for your parents, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just use the apps built into most 4K TVs these days?

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ya know... Most 4K Smart TVs have built in Amazon and NetFlix support, right?  If this is for your parents, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just use the apps built into most 4K TVs these days?

I've got a Samsung 4k Smart TV and the netflix app doesn't do 4K. highest i can get netflix is 1080p and thats on a 100mb Fiber connection. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I've got a Samsung 4k Smart TV and the netflix app doesn't do 4K. highest i can get netflix is 1080p and thats on a 100mb Fiber connection. 

Can you clarify which model this is?  Samsung 4K TVs support Netflix 4K.  You're PAYING for the 4K plan, right?

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Can you clarify which model this is?  Samsung 4K TVs support Netflix 4K.  You're PAYING for the 4K plan, right?

will get model and clarify. and yes, used mates 4k account, didn't get 4k. got a normal account for myself. 

I'm buying a PS4 Pro and Xbox one S anyways so should be ableto get around them 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

On 7/19/2017 at 7:39 PM, Not_Sean said:

will get model and clarify. and yes, used mates 4k account, didn't get 4k. got a normal account for myself. 

I'm buying a PS4 Pro and Xbox one S anyways so should be ableto get around them 

If it's an older model (no HEVC support), then it will not do it in 4K. The newer ones should do it. 

On 7/19/2017 at 5:13 PM, ibabyslapper said:

Can a system with a Skylake CPU play 4k Netflix and Amazon video?

You'd want Kaby Lake for Netflix 4k, unless you're running an Nvidia Geforce 10xx GPU with 3GB dedicated memory or higher.

On 7/27/2017 at 5:38 PM, Stagea said:

If it's an older model (no HEVC support), then it will not do it in 4K. The newer ones should do it. 

Can confirm that.

I own a UE49KU6470 and it supports 4k Netflix/Amazon HDR (if you care)/whatever you feed it no problem.

I'd take a picture of the stats info but the TV is under a sheet of polythene for the next few days while I repaint. :)