Ethernet problems, unidentified network (Solved)

Go to solution Solved by Leonard,
40 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Umm ok then. Wow that's alot to take in. Quote me again if I don't respond to something.

You mention about the manufacturer using whatever standard they want. This sparks interest to me and I believe this could have something to do with it... This could totally make sense. 

Let me just explain my setup briefly. You have ethernet from router -> to rj45 module with brown and green pairs hooked up in place of the 100mbps setup. So basically where on T56B says use white orange in pin 1 and solid orange in pin 2 I just completely swapped that for the brown pair. I also did the exact same thing in the other end of where the cable runs. So essentially it's acting as the orange cable but actually using the brown. Since the orange is being used for rj11. Green remained in the exact same correct positions. I have a feeling I might have accidently wired it wrong somewhere though. Saying that then the other machines (laptops) shouldn't work if I did. But I will double check tomorrow.

As for the OS i was on win7 pro 64bit when I first had this problem which was tonight and later tonight I installed Windows 10 64bit and tried all the ethernet drivers k previously downloaded as well as the proper supported windows 10 64 bit ones from HP's website.

You mention about a PNY driver issue or something, do you think it's worth me going back to windows 7 when I can to avoid this issue?

-gone-

I have a strong feeling it is the cabling. It has to be. There is no other thing it can be. But it hurts my head thinking that multiple other machines are perfectly fine using the cable.

So i am trying to help you and you have the nerve to say "WOW that's alot to take in" nice real nice......yes it is xD and here comes more:P. Try to read it in full.

Okay, now you see that 100mbps connector, when a ethernet adapter on a random device is configured to be auto negotiation it will pick it up but if that same ethernet adapter is configured to be full duplex 1000mbps it will automatically drop a connection and you will not have any internet access no matter what you plug/unplug/shout/curse/whatever, the only way you can get a connection is to configure the ethernet adapter to auto negotiation or 100mbps full duplex. this is something to look into. To find out about this you have to open your ehternet properties then click on Configure then on the window that opens, click on Link Spped to see how it is configured under Speed and Duplex.

The wiring just has to have the same wires on wither end so if you go green red then on the other end it has to be the same, this is for straight through, for the love of everything that is good leave crossover alone! just seeing it made me kiss my teeth.

The PHY driver that i mentioned it part of newer drivers and should be run in DOS mode but you really don't need it if you are on Win7, but with WIn10 it can cause issues without it. I had to update my PHY driver for a steady ethernet connection on my Z77 MOBO. The reason why i mentioned it is because this can be a cause but only on Win10.

Reverting to Win7 is an option but only if you have tried every troubleshooting option which should include a fresh Win10 install to see if you get a connection or not.

Also have you tried the desktop in other rooms, if it works in another room then it maybe just the connection at the problem room that is the issue.

53 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

??Thanks. I'm about to give up cable and just go with wireless. Thing is my ISP gave me a router that has crap wireless which is why I took up the wired project to try and save me money by buying £5 worth of 2xrj45 modules rather than a new router and a wireless device.

I understand but making rj45 cables is a bit hard but if you keep the color alignment the same at both ends it should be fine. If you do competitive gaming, wifi can be a real struggle to get the lower pings but hope you get through.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

I understand but making rj45 cables is a bit hard but if you keep the color alignment the same at both ends it should be fine. If you do competitive gaming, wifi can be a real struggle to get the lower pings but hope you get through.

Well, did you see my other post. Maybe you might understand more. I don't think the patch cables I have made are the problem...

https://photosync-app.com/photosync/en/help/connectivity/answers/how-to-change-the-windows-10-network-type-from-public-to-private.html

Have a look above, I have explained this procedure a few times now, but can't find one of my posts with it, so had to link you the first one I found.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

56 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Well, did you see my other post. Maybe you might understand more. I don't think the patch cables I have made are the problem...

From your posts and knowing what i know about making patched cables it is very hard to asses this issue. Rj45 has more than one standard and i suspect it is up to the manufacture of the adapter to use which ever. When i was learning about patch cables in class i had to make them and the only way i got mine to work was to tape on end with the wires in and then mimic the colors on the other end then crimp. Now there are testers that you can buy to check a patch cable but i understand the money thing.

Now, i too would not look at the wiring as long as i test the working devices on all of the connections you made, meaning in each room. but if other devices are working in all the rooms then the issue is at the desktop PC in question but the adapter is working because it is getting the link local address and in most cases you have to clean/clear the registry entries for the ehternet, this is very tricky to do and can screw up your device even further. 

I saw WIFI is fine but you have to understand WIFI is different from LAN. Just as an example a random ethernet adapter can work without an issue on Win7&8 but be faulty on Win10 due to the something called the PHY driver, some adapters need an update to be compatible in Win10. now in your first screenshot there are the yellow exclamation marks for the PCI which could be other connected devices or your MOBO missing some drives and the drivers that it could be missing is actually compatible ones and not say listed drivers that maybe outdated. @legacy99 tried to explain that and you did the usual uninstall and reinstall of the driver but what is the actual version of the ProSet?...the latest right now is 22.4.0.1, have you tried that one for which ever OS you are using?

Then this could just be Windows, example, if the time and date is off LAN can be affected due to the date of installed drivers or registry configurations and the later should be left alone unless you know what you are doing. Sometimes a clean install can clear this up for you and everything will just work until it doesn't....have you tried a fresh Windows install?....do you even have the means to do so?...i can't tell. 

I hope you now have an idea as to how hard this is to fix over the internet.

18 minutes ago, Leonard said:

From your posts and knowing what i know about making patched cables it is very hard to asses this issue. Rj45 has more than one standard and i suspect it is up to the manufacture of the adapter to use which ever. When i was learning about patch cables in class i had to make them and the only way i got mine to work was to tape on end with the wires in and then mimic the colors on the other end then crimp. Now there are testers that you can buy to check a patch cable but i understand the money thing.

Now, i too would not look at the wiring as long as i test the working devices on all of the connections you made, meaning in each room. but if other devices are working in all the rooms then the issue is at the desktop PC in question but the adapter is working because it is getting the link local address and in most cases you have to clean/clear the registry entries for the ehternet, this is very tricky to do and can screw up your device even further. 

I saw WIFI is fine but you have to understand WIFI is different from LAN. Just as an example a random ethernet adapter can work without an issue on Win7&8 but be faulty on Win10 due to the something called the PHY driver, some adapters need an update to be compatible in Win10. now in your first screenshot there are the yellow exclamation marks for the PCI which could be other connected devices or your MOBO missing some drives and the drivers that it could be missing is actually compatible ones and not say listed drivers that maybe outdated. @legacy99 tried to explain that and you did the usual uninstall and reinstall of the driver but what is the actual version of the ProSet?...the latest right now is 22.4.0.1, have you tried that one for which ever OS you are using?

Then this could just be Windows, example, if the time and date is off LAN can be affected due to the date of installed drivers or registry configurations and the later should be left alone unless you know what you are doing. Sometimes a clean install can clear this up for you and everything will just work until it doesn't....have you tried a fresh Windows install?....do you even have the means to do so?...i can't tell. 

I hope you now have an idea as to how hard this is to fix over the internet.

Umm ok then. Wow that's alot to take in. Quote me again if I don't respond to something.

You mention about the manufacturer using whatever standard they want. This sparks interest to me and I believe this could have something to do with it... This could totally make sense. 

Let me just explain my setup briefly. You have ethernet from router -> to rj45 module with brown and green pairs hooked up in place of the 100mbps setup. So basically where on T56B says use white orange in pin 1 and solid orange in pin 2 I just completely swapped that for the brown pair. I also did the exact same thing in the other end of where the cable runs. So essentially it's acting as the orange cable but actually using the brown. Since the orange is being used for rj11. Green remained in the exact same correct positions. I have a feeling I might have accidently wired it wrong somewhere though. Saying that then the other machines (laptops) shouldn't work if I did. But I will double check tomorrow.

As for the OS i was on win7 pro 64bit when I first had this problem which was tonight and later tonight I installed Windows 10 64bit and tried all the ethernet drivers k previously downloaded as well as the proper supported windows 10 64 bit ones from HP's website.

You mention about a PNY driver issue or something, do you think it's worth me going back to windows 7 when I can to avoid this issue?

nst_networking_cable.png.21c09e9ed102ba50325440759c57d906.png

I have a strong feeling it is the cabling. It has to be. There is no other thing it can be. But it hurts my head thinking that multiple other machines are perfectly fine using the cable.

40 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

-gone-

So i am trying to help you and you have the nerve to say "WOW that's alot to take in" nice real nice......yes it is xD and here comes more:P. Try to read it in full.

Okay, now you see that 100mbps connector, when a ethernet adapter on a random device is configured to be auto negotiation it will pick it up but if that same ethernet adapter is configured to be full duplex 1000mbps it will automatically drop a connection and you will not have any internet access no matter what you plug/unplug/shout/curse/whatever, the only way you can get a connection is to configure the ethernet adapter to auto negotiation or 100mbps full duplex. this is something to look into. To find out about this you have to open your ehternet properties then click on Configure then on the window that opens, click on Link Spped to see how it is configured under Speed and Duplex.

The wiring just has to have the same wires on wither end so if you go green red then on the other end it has to be the same, this is for straight through, for the love of everything that is good leave crossover alone! just seeing it made me kiss my teeth.

The PHY driver that i mentioned it part of newer drivers and should be run in DOS mode but you really don't need it if you are on Win7, but with WIn10 it can cause issues without it. I had to update my PHY driver for a steady ethernet connection on my Z77 MOBO. The reason why i mentioned it is because this can be a cause but only on Win10.

Reverting to Win7 is an option but only if you have tried every troubleshooting option which should include a fresh Win10 install to see if you get a connection or not.

Also have you tried the desktop in other rooms, if it works in another room then it maybe just the connection at the problem room that is the issue.

8 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I feel so guilty now. All the hard work you are putting in to try and fix my problem! I will try my best.

As for wiring I kept it the same evening though the patch cables will be using orange instead of the brown which I switched out on the rj45 modules, this will be in the same effect of data flowing on the correct pins so there I assume no problem. I will check my cabling tomorrow. Going to sleep soon.

I read somewhere else about the link speed thing, I've just left it on auto negotiate and it usually negotiates to 100mbps which is correct as that is what I've wired it for. When first plugged in sometimes how ever it does sit on 10mbps for a bit.

I don't believe the pny will be an issue for me. I'll stay on windows 10 now and try other solutions. I've got a list of things to try still!

And since I did the wiring myself there is only a rj45 module in my room and down stairs by the router. So no other rooms have rj45 I could buy one tomorrow and wire it up in another room to see if it's the cable/wiring to my room? Perhaps.

30 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

I feel so guilty now. All the hard work you are putting in to try and fix my problem! I will try my best.

As for wiring I kept it the same evening though the patch cables will be using orange instead of the brown which I switched out on the rj45 modules, this will be in the same effect of data flowing on the correct pins so there I assume no problem. I will check my cabling tomorrow. Going to sleep soon.

I read somewhere else about the link speed thing, I've just left it on auto negotiate and it usually negotiates to 100mbps which is correct as that is what I've wired it for. When first plugged in sometimes how ever it does sit on 10mbps for a bit.

I don't believe the pny will be an issue for me. I'll stay on windows 10 now and try other solutions. I've got a list of things to try still!

And since I did the wiring myself there is only a rj45 module in my room and down stairs by the router. So no other rooms have rj45 I could buy one tomorrow and wire it up in another room to see if it's the cable/wiring to my room? Perhaps.

Don't feel guilty i was just joking with you, i know how long text looks but it is the only way i know how to express the various issues.

Yes you can use the orange as long as it is the same on both ends, say line 8 on both ends and this is for straight through. I just thought of something, can you go to where ever you are buying your raw materials and check if your cables give signal on bot ends, there is a hand held machine to check this. It would help you further.

Don't bother to go and do more wiring until you know your already made wires work.

7 hours ago, Leonard said:

Don't feel guilty i was just joking with you, i know how long text looks but it is the only way i know how to express the various issues.

Yes you can use the orange as long as it is the same on both ends, say line 8 on both ends and this is for straight through. I just thought of something, can you go to where ever you are buying your raw materials and check if your cables give signal on bot ends, there is a hand held machine to check this. It would help you further.

Don't bother to go and do more wiring until you know your already made wires work.

Ok.

Yep well I'm certain the cables remain the same.

On bot ends? Do you mean both? I know all the cables in the system are fine since just swapping the machine from my desktop to my laptop and it works fine.

It's as if there is nothing wrong with the desktop it's just fussy in terms of the quality of wiring as such.

Ok, just woke up turned on my pc and began going down the list of things to try.

I remembered you said something about auto negotiation so I thought I would try that first and I changed it to 100Mbps Full Duplex and that seemed to fix it. It's almost as if it was telling me right to my face by saying "Unidentified Network" as in it doesn't know what speed the network is but I'm guessing it must mean other things too. As I read other problems where people had this and fixed it by just restarting the router.

Either way thanks for all the help guys especially you @Leonard

After this fix I did also update the driver from "19." Something to "22.4.16.0" which is from Intel's website directly. I believe it was the windows 7 64bit one I used and it still seemed to work in Windows 10 pro 64bit.

The driver version in device manager still says "12.15.25.6" if that matters at all to any future people who view this thread and need help.

This problem is very annoying but for anyone in the future having the same or similar problem here were the other things I was going to try:

Things to try:
  • Clear CMOS
  • Try disabling firewall
  • Various netsh Cmd commands also try in Safe mode perhaps.
  • Check airplane mode
  • Turn off fast startup in power options
  • Make sure all cables are working, make sure patch panel and rj45 module cabling is also correct or works on another computer perhaps.
  • Resetting router. (Leave for 15 minutes, resets something to do with the Mac address)
  • Disabling Anti virus etc.

Hope this helps.

Ok, just thought I'd do a quick update. After investigating further into this the reason I believe it was not auto negotiating properly because there is a tab on my router (Sky Q Hub Router, or what ever it's called) called ethernet. Under this tab there is an option for ethernet type, either gigabit Ethernet or fast ethernet. So when the computer came to auto negotiating with the router the router was most likely (and this is my guess) just telling it that it's a gigabit connection since that what it was set on first. I have now changed this setting of ethernet type to fast ethernet on the router and change the link speed back to auto negotiate on the computer and it seems to auto negotiate to 100 Mbps now. Don't know if that information is useful at all but yeah. :)

1500552214174481436116.jpg