Ethernet problems, unidentified network (Solved)

Go to solution Solved by Leonard,
40 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Umm ok then. Wow that's alot to take in. Quote me again if I don't respond to something.

You mention about the manufacturer using whatever standard they want. This sparks interest to me and I believe this could have something to do with it... This could totally make sense. 

Let me just explain my setup briefly. You have ethernet from router -> to rj45 module with brown and green pairs hooked up in place of the 100mbps setup. So basically where on T56B says use white orange in pin 1 and solid orange in pin 2 I just completely swapped that for the brown pair. I also did the exact same thing in the other end of where the cable runs. So essentially it's acting as the orange cable but actually using the brown. Since the orange is being used for rj11. Green remained in the exact same correct positions. I have a feeling I might have accidently wired it wrong somewhere though. Saying that then the other machines (laptops) shouldn't work if I did. But I will double check tomorrow.

As for the OS i was on win7 pro 64bit when I first had this problem which was tonight and later tonight I installed Windows 10 64bit and tried all the ethernet drivers k previously downloaded as well as the proper supported windows 10 64 bit ones from HP's website.

You mention about a PNY driver issue or something, do you think it's worth me going back to windows 7 when I can to avoid this issue?

-gone-

I have a strong feeling it is the cabling. It has to be. There is no other thing it can be. But it hurts my head thinking that multiple other machines are perfectly fine using the cable.

So i am trying to help you and you have the nerve to say "WOW that's alot to take in" nice real nice......yes it is xD and here comes more:P. Try to read it in full.

Okay, now you see that 100mbps connector, when a ethernet adapter on a random device is configured to be auto negotiation it will pick it up but if that same ethernet adapter is configured to be full duplex 1000mbps it will automatically drop a connection and you will not have any internet access no matter what you plug/unplug/shout/curse/whatever, the only way you can get a connection is to configure the ethernet adapter to auto negotiation or 100mbps full duplex. this is something to look into. To find out about this you have to open your ehternet properties then click on Configure then on the window that opens, click on Link Spped to see how it is configured under Speed and Duplex.

The wiring just has to have the same wires on wither end so if you go green red then on the other end it has to be the same, this is for straight through, for the love of everything that is good leave crossover alone! just seeing it made me kiss my teeth.

The PHY driver that i mentioned it part of newer drivers and should be run in DOS mode but you really don't need it if you are on Win7, but with WIn10 it can cause issues without it. I had to update my PHY driver for a steady ethernet connection on my Z77 MOBO. The reason why i mentioned it is because this can be a cause but only on Win10.

Reverting to Win7 is an option but only if you have tried every troubleshooting option which should include a fresh Win10 install to see if you get a connection or not.

Also have you tried the desktop in other rooms, if it works in another room then it maybe just the connection at the problem room that is the issue.

So basically I made a post the other day saying about wiring a connection from ethernet that has been ran in my house. Changing from rj11 to rj45. Anyway blah blah blah. I got that working, at least it works on several laptops I tested.

Now I just received a desktop I brought the other week. It's a hp prodesk 600 G1 sff if that is relevant.

Basically when I plug the ethernet in it says unidentified network and won't pickup an IP from DHCP, I've tried assigning it an IP and then pinging the router but most requests fail. Using all the exact same cables into the wall port in my room and out at my router but instead using a laptop works perfectly fine. Fast speeds, no packet loss or drops etc.

But when just changing the computer from my laptop to the desk I run into all sorts of problems.

So I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering what it could be. My guess is the computers tollerence is just not as strong as the laptop for running on which is not the best wiring. But it could be something else. Could this be a driver or software issue or definitely hardware? The fact that half the packets make it confuses me.

IMG_20170719_174140.jpg

It is probably 1 of 2 things. A driver problem or port problem. First, try uninstalling the drivers in device manager then reboot the PC and let windows re-install the drivers. If that does not work, then try getting a PCIe card and test that. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Once you have an unidentified network you will get that sort of ping. Your issue maybe because of any past configuration/s you may have done either a static IP/DNS address. now you say the desktop will not pick up a connection with DHCP do you have DHCP as auto on both the router/modem and the desktop? Try resetting the desktop to auto then reboot your router after checking if DHCP is enabled and see if it picks up a connection.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

10 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Once you have an unidentified network you will get that sort of ping. Your issue maybe because of any past configuration/s you may have done either a static IP/DNS address. now you say the desktop will not pick up a connection with DHCP do you have DHCP as auto on both the router/modem and the desktop? Try resetting the desktop to auto then reboot your router after checking if DHCP is enabled and see if it picks up a connection.

What do you mean by the first bit? I've DHCP is definitely enabled on the router as other devices connect to it fine, and I've already tried with auto configuration on the pc and it just never gets its own ip.

It just stays on this ip...

15004841112161311418833.jpg

11 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

It is probably 1 of 2 things. A driver problem or port problem. First, try uninstalling the drivers in device manager then reboot the PC and let windows re-install the drivers. If that does not work, then try getting a PCIe card and test that. 

When I uninstall it asks me if I want to delete the driver software for this device, do I want to? Or just uninstall? Also nothing wrong with the ethernet because when I bring the router to the computer it connects fine. I'm so confused.

Yes, delete the software. When you reboot, it will install drivers only, no software. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Yes, delete the software. When you reboot, it will install drivers only, no software. 

Just tried it with no hope. I'm so confused what it could be. I've tried using a wireless extended that connects to the router by wireless and has an Ethernet port on the bottom (basically an external wireless adapter) with the exact same cable in using to plug it into the wall and that works fine. So it's not the cable? And it's not the computer? To a certain extent. 

Infact i just checked device manager now and after ticking the box to delete software i no longer am able to get the ethernet to work on any connection now. It says windows was unable to install your ethernet controller?

Thats wierd... it should have loaded up automatically... So go on your laptop and download the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacture. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

17 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Thats wierd... it should have loaded up automatically... So go on your laptop and download the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacture. 

Done that installed it. Still the same problem :'(

4 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Done that installed it. Still the same problem :'(

so you say you are connected over a wifi extender correct? What happens if you take your computer and directly plug it into the router? You may need to move the computer closer to the router to test it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

so you say you are connected over a wifi extender correct? What happens if you take your computer and directly plug it into the router? You may need to move the computer closer to the router to test it. 

Correct and I did that earlier. Instead I moved the Router to the pc since I'm struggling to get an ethernet local connection let alone a internet connection ?. And that worked fine that way. So it's when the connections on the wall are introduced that problems occur....ideas? Don't forget some packets make it and some don't 50/50.

Just now, lukesterboy said:

Correct and I did that earlier. Instead I moved the Router to the pc since I'm struggling to get an ethernet local connection let alone a internet connection ?. And that worked fine that way. So it's when the connections on the wall are introduced that problems occur....ideas? Don't forget some packets make it and some don't 50/50.

Is it a wifi range extender or a Powerline ethernet adapter?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, legacy99 said:

Is it a wifi range extender or a Powerline ethernet adapter?

Range extender. Does it matter? Either way it works using the ethernet cable in that. Which is why I'm so confused and scratching my head....

Range extender. Does it matter? Either way it works using the ethernet cable in that. Which is why I'm so confused and scratching my head....

So from the symptoms I have gathered that this is a wifi range extender with an ethernet plug on it that you are plugging directly into your PC. The connection works 100% on other devices such as laptop but not on your PC. This is telling me that your ethernet adapter on your desktop is at fault. If you have a different PCIe card, try that out. Otherwise your only other option is either to move things around so you can plug the computer directly into the router, or run an ethernet cable long enough so you can plug directly into the router.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

So from the symptoms I have gathered that this is a wifi range extender with an ethernet plug on it that you are plugging directly into your PC. The connection works 100% on other devices such as laptop but not on your PC. This is telling me that your ethernet adapter on your desktop is at fault. If you have a different PCIe card, try that out. Otherwise your only other option is either to move things around so you can plug the computer directly into the router, or run an ethernet cable long enough so you can plug directly into the router.

So physically you think the ethernet adapter hardware on the computer is at fault? When it works directly plugged into the router? It can't be. Do you think it could be because it's stuck in this "unidentified network" and stuck on "public network" and won't let me change it. What causes this and what's the fix maybe that will help me fix my problem?

1500488577803297511209.jpg

you can try and go into command prompt and type ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

26 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

you can try and go into command prompt and type ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew

Tried that. Getting an IP is not a problem since I can just assign one it's just the actual connection. The fact that I can send data to another device on the network through wireless (so it must be going through the router) with 1ms latency, no packet loss and fast speeds. I am baffled. ?

What device resides at 192.168.0.45 on your network. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Don't think anyone else has mentioned it, but it may be worth manually setting a static IP on the desktop... just in case it is having issues with receiving data from the DHCP server.

Edited by Gunner23
Clarity about setting a static IP

Main rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (FE) | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 | Storage: 512GB Crucial SSD (Ubuntu 23.04) | Case: Corsair 400C |

Laptop: 2023 MacBook Pro 14" | 12 core M2 Pro | 32 GB Unified Memory |

NAS: Synology DS216+II

2 hours ago, lukesterboy said:

What do you mean by the first bit? I've DHCP is definitely enabled on the router as other devices connect to it fine, and I've already tried with auto configuration on the pc and it just never gets its own ip.

It just stays on this ip...

15004841112161311418833.jpg

I mean just what i said, for DHCP to work correctly both the device and the modem/router should have DHCP enabled and not one or the other, hope that was clear enough.

From this screendump it shows that the desktop is not getting the default gateway to connect to, this could be because of the modem\router and or powerline/wifi extender* needing to be power cycled, it could also mean your TCP/IP needs to be reset for that PC but the ethernet adapter is working otherwise you would not get anything. That 169.254.197.122 is from windows, when there is a network problem with limited connection windows puts that meaning you may be connected to say a connection either LAN or WIFI but you are not connected to the internet. If i remember correctly it is called the link local address from windows

Before you do the below reset do this one to ensure that DHCP is enabled on the PC...netsh interface ip set dns 1 dhcp then reboot the PC.

To reset the TCP/IP you open CMD with administrator rights and type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt then you reboot the PC. What does that code do it resets these two registry entries...

1.  SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\ 
  2. SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\ 

12 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I mean just what i said, for DHCP to work correctly both the device and the modem/router should have DHCP enabled and not one or the other, hope that was clear enough.

From this screendump it shows that the desktop is not getting the default gateway to connect to, this could be because of the modem\router and or powerline/wifi extender* needing to be power cycled, it could also mean your TCP/IP needs to be reset for that PC but the ethernet adapter is working otherwise you would not get anything. That 169.254.197.122 is from windows, when there is a network problem with limited connection windows puts that meaning you may be connected to say a connection either LAN or WIFI but you are not connected to the internet. If i remember correctly it is called the link local address from windows

Before you do the below reset do this one to ensure that DHCP is enabled on the PC...netsh interface ip set dns 1 dhcp then reboot the PC.

To reset the TCP/IP you open CMD with administrator rights and type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt then you reboot the PC. What does that code do it resets these two registry entries...

1.  SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\ 
  2. SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\ 

Tried both with no luck. Bearing in mind I don't actually have broadband yet, im waiting on activation. Anyway this shouldn't matter because I'm struggling to get a connection with the router let alone the internet. Im sure this has to be a problem with the wiring job I did. Since directly plugging into the router works fine.

Tried both with no luck. Bearing in mind I don't actually have broadband yet, im waiting on activation. Anyway this shouldn't matter because I'm struggling to get a connection with the router let alone the internet. Im sure this has to be a problem with the wiring job I did. Since directly plugging into the router works fine.

it could very well be but only you would know how to fix that or scrap it and use already configured wire/cables. Did you used twisted pair?....that chit could be easily messed up.

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

it could very well be but only you would know how to fix that or scrap it and use already configured wire/cables. Did you used twisted pair?....that chit could be easily messed up.

Yes. Well if you read my second to latest most recent post you can see what my situation was... I might clean up the cables tomorrow and see if that has any impact. Thing is I've tried it with 3 other machines and they all work fine on the exact same setup of cables, full speed with no packet loss.

edit: I have a feeling it's the join in the second bedroom, it's literally just the two cables twister together. And lots of straight cable not very twisted. Also it could be touching the metal back box of the socket/faceplate.

10 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Yes. Well if you read my second to latest most recent post you can see what my situation was... I might clean up the cables tomorrow and see if that has any impact. Thing is I've tried it with 3 other machines and they all work fine on the exact same setup of cables, full speed with no packet loss.

edit: I have a feeling it's the join in the second bedroom, it's literally just the two cables twister together. And lots of straight cable not very twisted. Also it could be touching the metal back box of the socket/faceplate.

Well best of luck with your project.

Just now, Leonard said:

Well best of luck with your project.

??Thanks. I'm about to give up cable and just go with wireless. Thing is my ISP gave me a router that has crap wireless which is why I took up the wired project to try and save me money by buying £5 worth of 2xrj45 modules rather than a new router and a wireless device.