Powerline adapter or Wifi dongle?

Gazzz

Hello,

I have a question, I just moved and placed my desktop in my new home. There is however no ethernet connection where I want to place the desktop and it doesnt have wifi built in. I occasionally play games on it and don't want high ping and latency. So I wondered if I should go for a powerline adapter or will a simple wifi dongle do just fine?

Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, Gazzz said:

Hello,

I have a question, I just moved and placed my desktop in my new home. There is however no ethernet connection where I want to place the desktop and it doesnt have wifi built in. I occasionally play games on it and don't want high ping and latency. So I wondered if I should go for a powerline adapter or will a simple wifi dongle do just fine?

Thanks in advance

I have had bad luck with powerline adaptors, just hit or miss depending on the house. If it were me I'd go with the wifi dongle.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

If its a USB wifi adapter then no, most of them are truly awful. If you have room in your rig have a look at the TP-link N900, I have been using on for 3 years and have never had any issues in any OS. wifi vs power line is really down to how good your wifi is and how dependant you are on the internet. If it was me I would use wifi. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

24 minutes ago, Gazzz said:

Hello,

Thanks in advance

USB networking products are shit. PCI express or no on WiFi. Power Line products are very hit or miss, mostly depending on your homes wiring and how many breakers you have to cross from point A to point B. If you have Coax in both locations you can try Moca, but it can be a little costly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.