Should I get a laptop with a kaby lake i5 or wait for cofee lake?

What should I do?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Wait and see what coffee lake has to offer
    • Get kaby lake regardless
  2. 2. Do you think that mobile coffee lake i5s will have 6 cores?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

I am considering buying a new laptop at the end of this summer. Right now I have my eyes set on the Lenovo Y520 with the i5-7300HQ and GTX 1050 Ti since it offers great bang for the buck and I do not have much more money to spend than what this laptop costs. I heard a rumor saying that coffee lake i5s will have 6 cores and this made me think. Should I wait and see what the options with coffee lake CPUs will be or just get the Y520 regardless? After all, this laptop does offer really good price/performance ratio and bargains such as the Y520 may not be a thing in the future. But knowing that there are only skylake and kaby lake mobile i5s with 4 cores and that the i5s from previous generations only had 2 cores with HT leads me to believe that coffee lake i5s may not even have 6 cores. Seeing how hot the skylake-x CPUs run also makes me think that putting CPUs with 6 cores in a laptop may not be a thing with coffee lake. So, in the end, what should I do?

I do not want to buy/build a desktop since laptops are more useful for school work and I do game on trips so please don't pursue me into it.

Don't look at "i5". Look at the suffix or search Intel ARK for the datasheet to make sure that it's a quad-core.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It is pretty unlikely that they will put a 6 core processor in a laptop, and even less likely that it would be at the i5 price point. If you need more threads, get the i7 version that has hyperthreading. Otherwise, the i5 will be a good choice, and it still will be one of the fastest laptop processors available outside of high end gaming laptops.

1 hour ago, NSDUO said:

wait for ryzen mobile

And when do you expect it to come out?

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Don't look at "i5". Look at the suffix or search Intel ARK for the datasheet to make sure that it's a quad-core.

I always look at the suffix. If I wouldn't then I would also think that apple computers are great performers for the money.

EDIT: But I get what you are talking about. There only are 2 i5s with 4 cores in the mobile kaby lake family, the rest being dual cores with HT. If coffee lake will introduce 6 core mobile i5s then the only i5s with that many cores will be the highest end ones, the ones with the highest number in the suffix.

Edited by Introvert_Monk

3 minutes ago, Introvert_Monk said:

I always look at the suffix. If I wouldn't then I would also think that apple computers are great performers for the money.

Some of them are. Mostly 5K iMacs

1 hour ago, NSDUO said:

Ok, so ryzen will be coming to laptops in 2H17 and that is great. But do you think that there will be a laptop with at least an R5 1400 equivalent at the 800-900$ price bracket? And the more important factor in this equation is the GPU. I am considering the Y520 because of the 1050 Ti. If AMD will be able to rival that GPU at around the same price point as the 1050 Ti then that would be great, but AMD does not have a GPU that competes directly with the 1050Ti and, from what I've gathered from Hardware Unboxed's recent RX 560 V.S. GTX 1050 video, the RX 560 is a little bit behind the GTX 1050. Of course, Vega may change that but until then it remains to be seen. If there will be a laptop with a Ryzen 5 1400 equivalent and a GTX 1050 Ti or Vega equivalent at the same price point as the Y520 and it won't skimp on features (like the keyboard, screen and I/O) then I will grab one as soon as the retailers in my country will sell it at MSRP. But up until that laptop exists, the Y520 is the best deal one can find.

Here is Hardware unboxed's video if you want to see it: 

Not worth waiting, if you want more cores just get a i7/Ryzen laptop

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Not worth waiting, if you want more cores just get a i7/Ryzen laptop

I neither want nor need more cores or threads. I asked because it would be a waste of money if I bought a Y520 at the end of this summer only to discover that the next generation of CPUs is noticeably more powerful and at the same price point. Thank you for the reply!

9 hours ago, System Error Message said:

pour coffee over your kaby lake laptop and you'll have a coffee lake :P

Or a System Error Message :P