Hey guys, so I've been debating putting together a new build for a while but i keep coming back to the same problem. Should I build an small but powerful system designed around and ITX board or should I go with a size I'm more comfortable with and build within an Mid Tower case with an ATX motherboard. Im looking at a I7 6700K or 7700K with a GTX 1080 with comparable RAM and PSU to handle the systems needs, I understand that these are not small components but it seems like a fun challenge to build into a smaller form factor. Lastly I am not against going for the middle ground and using a Micro ATX board, however i have yet to see a case of any design that isn't a cube of sorts. Any suggestion, help of criticism is welcome.

Thanks for the help,

Pulpypanda.

7 minutes ago, Pulpypanda said:

Hey guys, so I've been debating putting together a new build for a while but i keep coming back to the same problem. Should I build an small but powerful system designed around and ITX board or should I go with a size I'm more comfortable with and build within an Mid Tower case with an ATX motherboard. Im looking at a I7 6700K or 7700K with a GTX 1080 with comparable RAM and PSU to handle the systems needs, I understand that these are not small components but it seems like a fun challenge to build into a smaller form factor. Lastly I am not against going for the middle ground and using a Micro ATX board, however i have yet to see a case of any design that isn't a cube of sorts. Any suggestion, help of criticism is welcome.

Thanks for the help,

Pulpypanda.

Ryzen 1700, gtx 1080, and some good ram is like the best option and you have options with case features and more cores for multiple processes 

It also depends on if you see yourself adding expansion cards in your system. Mini-ITX only has a PCIe x16 slot (for the most part) so you're not going to be adding any other expansion cards other than the video card. And while having a small system can be handy and convenient, depending on the case, it can also be a pain in the butt to work in.

I'd say have another look at MicroATX, it's a nice balance between the two. If you don't want a flashy case, Silverstone's PB series is budget friendly and retains a tower formfactor.

Just now, Haeking said:

Ryzen 1700, gtx 1080, and some good ram is like the best option and you have options with case features and more cores for multiple processes 

for gaming id go ATX with an i7 7700k doe

Just now, Haeking said:

Fair enough, I've been using Intel stuff for quite a while but im not opposed to trying out red teams newest tech.

Appreciate the help.

9 minutes ago, Pulpypanda said:

Thanks for the help,

Pulpypanda.

there are some Phanteks Evovle cases that are micro-itx, and look good. Mini itx, Fractal node 202 or some silver stone models that allow for a slightly larger cpu cooler in them

Full-sized ATX and mITX are on the polar extremes from each other, and I don't see anything in your requirements that would suggest mITX is anything other than something fun to try. I've built 3 mITX rigs in the past year and I simply wouldn't recommend it to folks who don't really need or desire the small footprint due to its thermal (largely case dependent), cable management (again case dependent), and expansion limitations. Since you're not against it, I would recommend the middle ground mATX form factor; it's generally the best of both worlds.

My personal daily driver is a mITX build out of a Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX, which is close enough to mATX in size and as such comes with many perks its size affords (e.g. cooling and cable management) minus the expansion slots. I place my case in an opened air cabinet, where larger cases have not fit in the past, so mITX was a no-brainer for me. Prior to this, I built a mITX rig out of a Silverstone Raven RVZ02B, which is approximately XboxOne-sized. Although I enjoyed its size and portability, I did not like the thermal performance, particularly since I did not have AC in the room at the time and the Raven has zero fan and AIO expansion-ability. My most recent build is out of a Cougar QBX mITX case which is a great balance of between size and thermal performance as it has support for AIO radiators. This build had to be placed on the desk (most of mine are under) so I needed it to be small, but also work with an AIO. 

(edit) Added notes about cable management concerns w/ mITX.

Just now, Tiwaz said:

for gaming id go ATX with an i7 7700k doe

A 7700k is good in many aspects but if he goes that he would be better of get x299, also ryzen is still putting up a better future proof plus gaming aspect though 

I personally have the inwin 301 with an r7 1700, tempered glass and decent watercooling support ftw.  Just waiting on the res and radiator to finish my custom loop and I cannot recommend it enough.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I personally have the inwin 301 with an r7 1700, tempered glass and decent watercooling support ftw.  Just waiting on the res and radiator to finish my custom loop and I cannot recommend it enough.

That's smexy just got my dark base pro 900 in 

2 minutes ago, Haeking said:

That's smexy just got my dark base pro 900 in 

Yep, it's a small case with the ability to fully cool anything on the market, what's not to love?

Also not a cube :P

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yep, it's a small case with the ability to fully cool anything on the market, what's not to love?

Also not a cube :P

Lol when its not a cube you know its right my dude

Its so sleek and smexy too 

19 hours ago, Haeking said:

A 7700k is good in many aspects but if he goes that he would be better of get x299, also ryzen is still putting up a better future proof plus gaming aspect though 

X299 is a waste of money if you cant make use of the extra PCIe lanes imo. When overclocked an i7 7700k could also run SLI without too many bottlenecks since games nowadays can make use of 4+ threads in many cases