Cpu-Z + chrome = blackscreen, everything else running stable 24/7 ??

Hi, i have an odd issue with my 4 mounths old R7 1700 system, i get crashes running Cpu-Z 1,79 or 1,8 together with chrome, black screens over all 3 monitors, + system not responding + cannot shut down system on power key, have to shutdown psu for system to close down.

I first believed it to be a faulty motherboard or psu, but i can replicate the issue with CPU-Z + Chrome combination, and i dont seem to get any issues in anything else so far, again system had been running almost since Ryzen launch, and i never had any issues until now, the only change i made over the last 2-4 weeks, was running  the newer 803 beta bios on my X370 Prime pro, but the issue didn't start until last week. 

I was running a 3,8ghz/2933mem oc until then, all stable, however the obvious first thing i did to test the issue was to down-clock and run everything at stock, (loaded optimized defaults in bios). 

Have anyone else had ANY issue like this, or have any idea where my problem is, or if its simply something with Cpu-Z and chrome that i have never heard off before. It seems odd since i have had cpu-z + chrome opened at the same time many times before without any issues. 

Also, theres no error msg before the blackscreens, and i dont know exactly if chrome has a crash log i can acces. 

Also sry for semi bad English, i am in a non native English-speaking country,

and i refuse to pussy out and use google translate all the time.

Suggestions plz ? 

Don't run CPU-Z and Chrome at the same time....

Seriously... CPU-Z is a program that doesn't need to run 24/7, in fact I don't know anybody who runs it other than that one time when it's time to sell the old system and you can't remember what the heck the CPUs specs are.

captain flying away....

#DuckAgain, ya well i just used it for monitoring stuff if i did a bios change, or to see if i got the p-states working and such. 

I will test with different messuring tools in stead.

I was thinkijng of just ignoring Cpu-Z obviously, however it could be a problem that is deeper than just those 2 programs trickering it. 

I gues i just have to do some more testing, i have never experienced this odd type of hard lockups before, where i cant even use the on/off case switch to turn off the machine. 

1 minute ago, Adaa said:

#DuckAgain, ya well i just used it for monitoring stuff if i did a bios change, or to see if i got the p-states working and such. 

I will test with different messuring tools in stead.

I was thinkijng of just ignoring Cpu-Z obviously, however it could be a problem that is deeper than just those 2 programs trickering it. 

I gues i just have to do some more testing, i have never experienced this odd type of hard lockups before, where i cant even use the on/off case switch to turn off the machine. 

I bet it turns off when holding the on/off button pressed down for a few seconds though ?!?!?!

Might be that something is wrong with the system but it seems to be software related, so I wouldn't bother that much about it, especially with such a non mission critical tool like cpu-z. I admit it sounds weird that all screens go black and the system doesn't respond anymore, but than again.. see my first post :-)

you could try and update everything to newest drivers/versions including bios and see if that helps, but then again, if everything is running besides the odd cpu-z/chrome thingy I wouldn't even bother with that haggle either.

maybe you can get some information from the windows log files on what happens prior to the black screens?

#DuckAgain nope. no response to system even if i hold down the on/off case key, or use the restart key, i have to manually turn off the psu to shut it down.

I am not all new in this roulette, and i can tell you in my 15+ years with pcs i have never seen anything like this. 

3 minutes ago, Adaa said:

#DuckAgain nope. no response to system even if i hold down the on/off case key, or use the restart key, i have to manually turn off the psu to shut it down.

I am not all new in this roulette, and i can tell you in my 15+ years with pcs i have never seen anything like this. 

Well sorry for asking. No way to know for me how experienced you are :-)

But then again, sometimes it helps to tell people that the 4 pin cpu power connector is there for a reason, even with people that got 15+ years on their backs :-) We all make stupid mistakes from time to time.

Try to fiddle out the logfiles then, maybe there is a hint in there somewhere.

sidenote: when you reply to people make sure to quote them so they get notified, this forum moves fast and you might get lost in the endless depths of the forums "why is  my PSU unhappy?"-clutter otherwise

Rip, being bad at foruming see next post. 

15 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Well sorry for asking. No way to know for me how experienced you are :-)

But then again, sometimes it helps to tell people that the 4 pin cpu power connector is there for a reason, even with people that got 15+ years on their backs :-) We all make stupid mistakes from time to time.

Try to fiddle out the logfiles then, maybe there is a hint in there somewhere.

sidenote: when you reply to people make sure to quote them so they get notified, this forum moves fast and you might get lost in the endless depths of the forums "why is  my PSU unhappy?"-clutter otherwise

#DuckAgain, its all good.

I did get a bit of usefull info from your windows log idea however.

it can be a hardware error, well at least i got the 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3567.event-id-18-microsoft-windows-whea-logger.aspx

Error around the time of the black screen incident, as far as i can tell. i am not 100% sure if the error got logged before or after the event, but it seems like a posible explanation.

what worries me is that that could be almost everything hardware related from what i can read. Mobo/psu issue migth not be incorrect, however its imposible to tell for sure without testing more programs over the next week or so, and i got a good excuse for a RMA on my board either way, since the RGB features has been dead on the board since i updated the bios way back, not that i use the feature but i payed for it, so it better work. So if it comes to it i can try and RMA the board as a last resort. 

Will test over the next week or so, and if i get issues in OCCT or Prime95, i will prob just do the RMA, all tho being without a mobo for 2-3 weeks are going to suck.

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

just out of curiosity: MSI board?

Nope, Asus X370 prime pro. (see sys specs on profile). 

• 5 months later...

Hey Adaa, 

I just read this post as I am facing same issue.

CPU-Z and HWmonitor are crashing my system like described from you (black screen, no shut down possible with power button).

Other tools like AMD Ryzen Master, MSI after burner or AIDA64 are not crashing.

Your last post is most inteseresting as we have the same mobo.

Could you already solve your issue?

My specs:

MOBO: Asus X370 prime pro

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: MSI RX480 8GB

RAM: G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3200

WIN: 10 Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Haha wow. I have the exact same issue. Ryzen 1700 with an ASUS B350-F board. I wouldn't worry too much about it, haven't had this problem in any other software but it sure is bizarre. Hopefully an software update will fix this.

• 1 month later...

@Hallefah @gimcor @Adaa

I have such issue as well and found an individual who states that he fixed this issue by removing Rapid Mode and uninstalling Samsung Magician. Maybe we all have a Samsung SSD in common. 

http://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1635059-help-ryzen-7-1700-black-screen-no-restart-fixed-2.html

Also, if you have figured out any other fixes, let us know/