Horrible Ryzen 7 Overclock!

Go to solution Solved by 3rrant,
6 minutes ago, er_gaming01 said:

Hi! 

I've tried to overclock my Ryzen 1700 to 3.8 Ghz but just doesn't want to stay stable with low voltage... My current voltage is 1.3875v, LLC Level 2, SOC 1.16v on my B350M Mortar. The lowest I can go on 3.7Ghz is 1.3v without crashing (30min aida stress test). I've read that others have gotten 1.3v with 3.8Ghz. Either it's my motherboard or I just lost the silicon lottery... 3.9Ghz wasnt stable on 1.45v. My ram is at 3466Mhz(2133 when overclocking). I have the latest BIOS 1.5 and used previous beta BIOS and still the same. 

Thanks in advanced! 

LLC should be set to 1, SOC to 1.2V, DRAM to 1,35-1,5V and kept at 2400Mhz max. For CPU voltage, try 1,375.

If it doesn't give you any benefit, you simply got a """"bad"""" chip.

6 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Fully stable ;p ?

I am going to change my LTT title to "Fully Stable" lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

You have to admit though. No other program can point out cache instability quite like Linpack MKL, lol. 

I look forward to testing it :) In a quick run before I had to leave for the day it didn't seem that different to P95 but I will look at it in more detail later.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

I look forward to testing it :) In a quick run before I had to leave for the day it didn't seem that different to P95 but I will look at it in more detail later.

It scales with however much ram you throw at it. Your ram capacity will change it's problem size. We recommend doing 75% of your ram capacity. So if you have say, 16GB, set it to 12,288. That will change your problem size to match. The more ram, the hotter it gets. Might want to take baby steps, and start with 50% ram first. 

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

It scales with however much ram you throw at it. Your ram capacity will change it's problem size. We recommend doing 75% of your ram capacity. So if you have say, 16GB, set it to 12,288. That will change your problem size to match. The more ram, the hotter it gets. Might want to take baby steps, and start with 50% ram first. 

I didn't see options for that, only ran the batch file in the package and let it go. As said, I look forward to digging deeper once I'm back at my main systems. On laptop away at moment, don't think I want to stress that!

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

I didn't see options for that, only ran the batch file in the package and let it go. As said, I look forward to digging deeper once I'm back at my main systems. On laptop away at moment, don't think I want to stress that!

Oh, I forgot to mention the LinX GUI. Download LinX, and replace the linpack EXE with the one from the MKL library: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-benchmarks-suite

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Oh, I forgot to mention the LinX GUI. Download LinX, and replace the linpack EXE with the one from the MKL library: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-benchmarks-suite

I've seen that interface in the past, a lot easier than messing with batch files! Should make things a lot easier.

20 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Please note that he increased VCore substantially before you gloat too much.  Wow.  

1.2v SOC helped lowering vcore on 3.8GHz and made it possible for 3.9Ghz

Well that's why the 1800x exists, so it has a much much higher chance of being overclocked over 4ghz.

That MOBO isn't good for overclocking either, and the 1700 is what they scrape from the manufactured 1800x chips that didn't yield great results.

Try 1.4v if you have the cooling for it.

I love computers, electronics, audio equipment, games, art (digital/traditional), and programming.

Ryzen 1800x | GTX 1080 SLI | 32GB RAM | 3x 1440p 165hz Gsync  | Alienware R4 17": i7 6700HQ | GTX 1070 Mobile | 32GB RAM | 1440p 120hz Gsync  |  DIY 5.1, DIY 2.1, ATH CKR10

i7 4790k, GTX 970 SLI, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1, Asus Mx239h ,Logitech G900, Logitech G910, Logitech G930, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad 2, MacBook Pro Retina 15" etc.

• 2 months later...

Well I know this thread is 'older' etc BUT I wanted to chime in.... I have my Ryzen 7 1700 on an Asus prime x370 with gskill trident z ram 3200 ( won't oc passed that at all ) which is 14-14-14-14-34 etc... Running at 4.3 GHz without touching any voltage etc. It coul be due to the fact I am running on an Asus motherboard and it may be doing that on its own but I'm not sure. I also have two video cards in the machine an EVGA GTX 1080 + an Sapphire rx Vega 64 running with an older coolmax 1000w bronze power supply. I haven't had a minute yet to plug the HDMI cable into the GTX card yet but from what I'm seeing the graphics are stunning compared when using the RX Vega. Keep in mind I haven't been able to test this with gaming because I'm mostly a video kind of guy BUT I notice a big difference between the 2 already visually. Can't wait till nicehash is done benchmarking it all to see what I can realize $ wise for mining when idle. With just the GTX I was getting about 1.75-2$ a day. I'll try to find my way back later here to update but I can't promise nothing. Thanks fer the posts ! Ps. I forgot to add I'm using an EVGA 280 clc instead of the included wraith which I put in my old box now. I just got a hold of Ryzen master to fool around with to sorry I've been busy lately so slower in doing all this ! If proof is requested I will do my best to provide it ! Thanks again !!

Overclocking R7 on crappy MSI B350? Boi, you need the fire rescue team.

For R7s are the better X370s, not B350s and definitely not the crappy garbage you got

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Well... I still had the page open on my phone.. as much as I appreciate your SUPER polite comments... You might want to actually read what I wrote 1st. ( It's running on a prime x370 with gskill 3200 ram @ CL 14-14-14-14-34 ( which I personally made sure I got so it would be stable. Yeah that's right I actually DO have a clue what I'm doing.... Going back to DOS when I first officially overclocked. I won't mention what I did to my first computer the Atari 800 in 1978 that ended it's life early) anyhew thanks for your input.

10 minutes ago, zip1212 said:

Well... I still had the page open on my phone.. as much as I appreciate your SUPER polite comments... You might want to actually read what I wrote 1st. ( It's running on a prime x370 with gskill 3200 ram @ CL 14-14-14-14-34 ( which I personally made sure I got so it would be stable. Yeah that's right I actually DO have a clue what I'm doing.... Going back to DOS when I first officially overclocked. I won't mention what I did to my first computer the Atari 800 in 1978 that ended it's life early) anyhew thanks for your input.

@dave_k is responding to OP. Maybe if you actually read the OP you'd know what's up Mr "I know what i'm doing"

Feel free to jack a several month old thread with whatever nonsense you're on about though. Something something 1080 + Vega. 

That's a nice 4.3GHz claim you got there. Where's the proof though? I might just say I've my 5820K at 9.8GHz while i'm at it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

13 minutes ago, zip1212 said:

It's entirely possible he was referring to the board used by the person who started this thread back in July. This is why resurrection is generally frowned upon. Just start your own post if you feel like talking about your current setup.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

I didn't Jack anything... I was on topic and like I said I would try provide proof if asked. Unfortunately it's running bizarre since I added the Vega yest. BUT it ran stable for a week+ running the miner( with just the 1080 and fooling around with media ( no gaming ) I am not a member of this forum so it was my first post here and it allowed me to do it with nothing more then my FB login. Something to consider for the future/moderators.  Even still I did not flame anyone.... In reply to the other comment I obviously read all the comments since I found it with Google search.

21 hours ago, zip1212 said:

I didn't Jack anything... I was on topic and like I said I would try provide proof if asked. Unfortunately it's running bizarre since I added the Vega yest. BUT it ran stable for a week+ running the miner( with just the 1080 and fooling around with media ( no gaming ) I am not a member of this forum so it was my first post here and it allowed me to do it with nothing more then my FB login. Something to consider for the future/moderators.  Even still I did not flame anyone.... In reply to the other comment I obviously read all the comments since I found it with Google search.

Come on dude. Don't be afraid to quote my post. Or maybe even a little tag. 

Still want that 4.3GHz 1700 proof though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III