Problems when trying to copy files on a shared folder

batatas
Go to solution Solved by NZLaurence,

Connect them directly with a Ethernet cable.

You need to then set a static IP on the Ethernet port for each one. I suggest setting 192.168.101.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for the one with the shared folder. For the other one set 192.168.101.20 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Leave gateway and DNS blank.

You should now still have internet through the wireless but be able to ping the 192.168.101.x addresses from both machines.

If you try to access the shared folders by going to \\192.168.101.10 you will be connecting through the cable. You will need to use the IP and not the name to access it.

If that doesn't work please paste the output from "ipconfig /all" from both machines.

So i have 2 computers and i just want to share a folder between them the problem is they are both connect to the internet via wireless and instead of using the cable that is connected to both it uses the wireless when i try to copy files to the shared folder and that is really slow, i need them to share the folder through the cable but i need them both to access the internet through wireless.

How can i make this shared folder only use the direct cable connection instead of the wireless connection? 

Disable the Wi-Fi on both of them while you're transferring data.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

A few questions.

What OS?

Are they desktops that will be permanently connected?

It would be better to connect the cables to the router or a switch which is connected to the router but it can be done.

9 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

A few questions.

What OS?

Are they desktops that will be permanently connected?

It would be better to connect the cables to the router or a switch which is connected to the router but it can be done.

Yes they are desktops and they will be connected permanently the problem is they are really far from the router and i cant connect them to the router directly and the OS is windows 7 on both machines.

You need to then set a static IP on the Ethernet port for each one. I suggest setting 192.168.101.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for the one with the shared folder. For the other one set 192.168.101.20 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Leave gateway and DNS blank.

You should now still have internet through the wireless but be able to ping the 192.168.101.x addresses from both machines.

If you try to access the shared folders by going to \\192.168.101.10 you will be connecting through the cable. You will need to use the IP and not the name to access it.

If that doesn't work please paste the output from "ipconfig /all" from both machines.

11 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

Thanks thats what i wanted its working great thanks for the help man.