$200 Wireless Oculus Rift in the works for 2018

On 7/14/2017 at 1:38 AM, Master Disaster said:

I doubt it will work, anybody who wants a VR headset right now has already got one, be it full fat (vive or rift) or a watered down (cardboard, daydream, gearvr etc) variant and I don't see a $200 device marketed as something you might use twice a year (when you're going on holiday) changing that.

Listen guys, when even Luke is admitting that the VR fad is over then its safe to assume the VR fad is over.

Lol, true true.

Also, I don't see how a $200 device is going to be able to deliver a better experience than a Gear VR. For $200, they will not be able to build better hardware than a $600 smartphone has. So the screen will be worse, the processor will be slower, less memory, etc. etc. So you end up with a pretty bad experience.

I think they should invest more in the Gear VR style devices, since many people own top-end smartphones already.

- Make some consensus among manufacturers about creating "VR Ready smartphones" that have a good high res display, good enough processor etc. For example the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Moto X can be "VR Ready", while the lower end devices are not.

- Next, invest in making the lenses and headsets really good, so you get a good, portable experience.

I just don't know about this $200 stand-alone device. Sounds like someone just did a marketing study that said people are willing to pay $200 max for a VR device, and that is what they went with. Doesn't make sense from any other point of view.

VR will probably end up being a niche product for "lasertag" style warehouse gaming experiences, architecture, and some other niche commercial applications. Not for the living room.

17 hours ago, maartendc said:

Also, I don't see how a $200 device is going to be able to deliver a better experience than a Gear VR. For $200, they will not be able to build better hardware than a $600 smartphone has. So the screen will be worse, the processor will be slower, less memory, etc. etc. So you end up with a pretty bad experience.

Not quite. Remember, less than half that $600 price tag is actual hardware cost. And Oculus isn't in this for hardware profit, at least not yet. In addition, just the fact that it won't be a phone means some performance is freed up.

Still, I don't see how it could be much better than GearVR. And it still lacks positional tracking.

Want to know the release date for Vive 2, rift 2, etc 2? The day after I buy one. Thanks the way it has worked for me on everything (tech wise, ie: ryzen and x299)