EKWB Kit

I currently have a 7700k and ASUS Dual GTX 1070 in a S340 Elite, with the CPU being cooled by a Kraken X42.

I'm considering selling my 1070 for hopefully around $450 and purchasing a Founders Edition 1080 for $550 along with one of the new aluminum EKWB kits.

I'm just looking for opinions on if you guys think this is a good idea. I'm also wondering if the EKWB Kit can be changed to hardline tubing later on?

No.

Stick to AIOs or save up until you have enough to build a proper custom loop with good quality parts.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No.

Stick to AIOs or save up until you have enough to build a proper custom loop with good quality parts.

Can you please explain why you say no.

Just now, TomR said:

Can you please explain why you say no.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No.

Stop spreading misinformation. Its not a DDC pump.  Aio's are a poor investment when compared to a custom, if aluminum custom loop.

The cheapest 2 aio's + mounting bracket is minimum 190 bucks us and it will perform way below this loop.  

Don't be an elitist man, some people will never upgrade the loop or just don't need it.  Let them spend their money on an excellent performance/value setup with reasonable upgrading capacity (especially compared to aios)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

11 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Stop spreading misinformation. Its not a DDC pump.  Aio's are a poor investment when compared to a custom, if aluminum custom loop.

The cheapest 2 aio's + mounting bracket is minimum 190 bucks us and it will perform way below this loop.  

Don't be an elitist man, some people will never upgrade the loop or just don't need it.  Let them spend their money on an excellent performance/value setup with reasonable upgrading capacity (especially compared to aios)

1) lol yes it is. An SPC is basically the same thing as a DDC with a bit higher pressure. Still the same pump design.

Image result for ddc pump

2) Nope, AIOs do not cost that much. They also only perform a few degrees worse. Go watch Linus' video again because clearly you forgot all the numbers.

3) If you never upgrade the loop, there is no point in buying an expandable loop like this.................................literally just get a sealed AIO and reduce your chances of a leak.

The performance is barely any better than an AIO, as you would expect from something with the exact same size radiator.

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, TomR said:

-snip-

To answer some of your original questions, EKWB has no plan to release compression fittings for hardline tubing made of alumiunium, so that is currently not possible.

Personally I would rather spend the money allocated to the loop and get a 1080Ti instead and then upgrade to a custom loop later, especially if you plan on doing hardline.

The pump in the aluminium kits are an SPC pump, probably not something you want to use in a high-end loop

How about one of the MSI Seahawks or EVGA Hybrids? I was mainly thinking about the EKWB Kit because I think my Kraken X42 is undersized for my 7700k?

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) lol yes it is. Do you know what a DDC is??

2) Nope, AIOs do not cost that much. They also only perform a few degrees worse. Go watch Linus' video again because clearly you forgot all the numbers.

3) If you never upgrade the loop, there is no point in buying an expandable loop like this.................................literally just get a sealed AIO and reduce your chances of a leak.

The performance is barely any better than an AIO, as you would expect from something with the exact same size radiator.

1) it is almost certainly a SPC-60 MX PWM.

2) the price is close enough that to get a similarly performing aio set will cost basically the same within margin of error

3) First reason is aesthetics

Second reason is well, OP can slap another 240mm rad very easily.  Can't do that on an aio system.  Tbf it is an expansion but still it's there.

1 minute ago, TomR said:

-snip-

could not agree more, I would recommend at least a 240 mm AIO for your CPU. I've never used hybrid cards, but they seem okay. Although more AIOs = more moving parts = more points of failure. Your decision, but I can see that if you have a nice CPU AIO and a founders edition GPU, you will probably get annoyed at the blower fan in the GPU.

Just now, Damascus said:

1) it is almost certainly a SPC-60 MX PWM.

2) the price is close enough that to get a similarly performing aio set will cost basically the same within margin of error

3) First reason is aesthetics

Second reason is well, OP can slap another 240mm rad very easily.  Can't do that on an aio system.  Tbf it is an expansion but still it's there.

1) Basically the same thing as a DDC, just newer. A D5 is still a much better choice.

2) But with an AIO you get something that has less chances of leaking, will be quieter, and will be easier to install.

3) Except it would still have to be an aluminum radiator, and you would still be stuck with crappy fittings, pump, and tubing.

If someone wants good aesthetics, they should save up and buy good quality components.

Cheaping out on a custom loop is an unnecessary risk and waste of money when you end up having to replace it.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

-snip-

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

Something cheeky EKWB does to make their SPC pump seem better or equivalent to a DDC is that they are comparing their SPC to an older DDC model. This chart from their website compares it with a DDC 3.1

16079_EK_graf_SPC_DDC_01.jpg

Whereas in reality, whats being sold by EK nowadays is a DDC 3.2 or 3.25 (couldnt quite get this one), and in the chart below you can see that the performance is actually fairly different. So the SPC probably lags behind the DDC 3.2 quite a far bit.

Performance of Laing DDC pumps

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-spc-60-mx-pwm-incl-pump

https://hw-lab.com/summary-of-laing-ddc-pumps.html

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

3) Except it would still have to be an aluminum radiator, and you would still be stuck with crappy fittings, pump, and tubing.

If someone wants good aesthetics, they should save up and buy good quality components.

Cheaping out on a custom loop is an unnecessary risk and waste of money when you end up having to replace it.

First two are basically "sure that's true but it doesn't matter in some contexts"

The SPC is enough for a small loop, 2 rads and 2 blocks are doable.  D5 is obviously better but it all comes down to budget.

The best example that comes to mind is a friend of mine who could afford to buy one of these aluminum loops but could absolutely NEVER afford the 2× or more cost of a copper loop like you or I may set up and expand over time.  

He can however, afford another rad if he gets a bonus etc.  He would be able to have and expand a loop, invaluable for a guy like him.

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

The SPC is enough for a small loop, 2 rads and 2 blocks are doable.  D5 is obviously better but it all comes down to budget.

That's my point.

Save up more until you have a budget to get good quality stuff that lasts a long time and doesn't fail or leak.

When putting water inside a computer, cheaping out is not a good choice.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Save up more

Not an option, this is the kind of purchase that already takes 3-4 years to build up the free cash to buy it.

You and I? Most of the heavy forum users? We are on an entirely different level of pc spending to the majority of consumers and it puts a certain spin on the perspective of purchases.

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Not an option, this is the kind of purchase that already takes 3-4 years to build up the free cash to buy it.

Well then an AIO is better.

A high end AIO >>> low end WC kit for noise and reliability.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

19 minutes ago, Damascus said:

-snip-

Just to add one more thing (sorry OP for the side-trackedness, but it may be of interest for you too). The pumps are NOT all aluminium, and so you can actually put in a D5 in the fluid series and have a similar life time. This has also been stated by the EK Industry Affiliate. So its kind of the elephant in the room wrt to corrosion, but thats technically the case for copper loops too.

Found the quote.

I would recommend a hybrid card like the Hydro GFX 1080. The best thing about having a one of these units is that if the card fails, you can just take it out and RMA it (if that ever happens). With an open loop, if your card fails, your system is practically down for the entire time your GPU is out for RMA. Unless you skip your GPU block and go straight back to CPU cooling only, that's fair.

It all comes down to three things, which also heavily rely on cost.

• Reliability
  • Performance
  • Aesthetics

With AIOs, they're quite reliable and have 5 year warranty. On top of that, if the unit fails and leaks all over your system, send it back to us and we'll pay for your parts. You don't get this kind of service with an open loop.

Performance is slightly behind custom loops, but you also pay significantly less than a custom loop. AIO pumps are also quieter, but somewhat audible (if you put your ear next to your PC).

As far as aesthetics goes, if you're wanting to fully commit to having the best looking build, by all means go open loop. If this isn't as important to you on the list, I highly suggest just going hybrid.

All in all, go for what's best for your budget. You already have a CPU cooler, so instead just put that open loop money into a 1080 Ti Hybrid card, kind of like our Hydro GFX 1080 Ti. Hybrid cards are fantastic for what they are as they will keep your GPU around 60C in the hottest conditions, so long as your fan is spinning. 

Just now, Enderman said:

Well then an AIO is better.

A high end AIO >>> low end WC kit for noise and reliability.

He already has a decent (and very old) aio, what he wants is to have the custom loop experience and aesthetic.

1 minute ago, Corsair Blake said:

All in all, go for what's best for your budget. You already have a CPU cooler, so instead just put that open loop money into a 1080 Ti Hybrid card, kind of like our Hydro GFX 1080 Ti. Hybrid cards are fantastic for what they are as they will keep your GPU around 60C in the hottest conditions, so long as your fan is spinning. 

If this is an option JUST DO IT!

He already has a decent (and very old) aio, what he wants is to have the custom loop experience and aesthetic.

Well then he should save up and not cheap out.

Why is this so hard for you to understand??

Either get something good, or don't get anything at all and wait longer.

Anyone can get a job or make money in other ways.

Getting a crappy loop is just a waste of time and money that doesn't pay off in the long run.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Well then he should save up and not cheap out.

Why is this so hard for you to understand??

Either get something good, or don't get anything at all and wait longer.

Anyone can get a job or make money in other ways.

Getting a crappy loop is just a waste of time and money that doesn't pay off in the long run.

Again, it would take him about half a decade...  Already working full time with a family and it's not an option.

Just now, Damascus said:

Again, it would take him about half a decade...  Already working full time with a family and it's not an option.

So... he makes like 10 cents a day...?

At that point just sell the PC and everything else you own if you make so little money, because you have much bigger problems.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

So... he makes like 10 cents a day...?

At that point just sell the PC and everything else you own if you make so little money, because you have much bigger problems.

Not exactly, he actually rakes in more than me.  But you know, family comes first and when only one in the couple is making anything...

This is what I was talking about with elitism.  Some people will never be able to afford a nice kit so why not get what you can afford that will make you happy?

Not exactly, he actually rakes in more than me.  But you know, family comes first and when only one in the couple is making anything...

This is what I was talking about with elitism.  Some people will never be able to afford a nice kit so why not get what you can afford that will make you happy?

Because it's a waste.

Just because you can't afford something good doesn't mean you need to buy something crappy.

Saving money is always an option, especially if he makes so little.

"will make your happy" just sounds like this is impulse purchasing unnecessary stuff.

This is not elitism, this is common sense with money handling.

Spoiler