Using FastSync with a Maxwell-based 980Ti

Morgan MLGman

So for now, I still have my old monitor which is 1920x1200 @60Hz.

At first, I thought that only Pascal cards supported FastSync - the main reason I was originally going to buy a 1070 (but dropped it due to the price rise), but I was setting up the NVIDIA Control Panel (which is utter garbage btw) and I found this:

SVBxWEp.png

So it looks like Nvidia added Maxwell FastSync support with driver 372.54, now a few questions:

Since this feature is designed more-or-less to combine what V-Sync does with lower input lag, if I enable it in the Control Panel, what should the in-game V-Sync setting be?

I suppose it should be turned off, as it could potentially override the Control Panel setting, right?

Another question: What if I wanted to use a framerate-limiter as well? Would FastSync work if I capped framerate of a game to reduce heat, noise and power draw since such a card is basically overkill for my current resolution?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Also: Does running the game in Windowed/Borderless/Fullscreen matter for FastSync?

Thanks guys!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

18 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Also: Does running the game in Windowed/Borderless/Fullscreen matter for FastSync?

Thanks guys!

The way I do it is on a per-game profile, with the in-game Vsync off (or used to without SLI, it's not enabled on SLI). You can also use a framerate limiter, I used to as well. Regarding borderless or windowed mode, the Windows Desktop Manager takes over and syncs output, but slower and more inaccurately(it's fairly alright in most cases, but input latency will be greater). So I'd suggest avoiding those if latency is your prime concern. On the other hand, if you do use borderless, the latency will be a bit less than Vsync.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

If you choose Fast it doesn't matter what's set in-game. The Nvidia Control Panel will override it