Correct use of CPU installation tool on Asus motherboard

Hello everyone! I'm in the process of building a desktop and I'm reading the Asus Maximus IX Code user's manual. In the CPU installation section it shows some instructions to use the installation tool that is included with the motherboard. I was searching on Youtube trying to find a tutorial clear enough that shows how to mount the CPU on that tool. The thing is that I'm not sure if it is safe to press the bottom of the CPU until both sides click and the CPU is fixed in the tool. This is the part that I don't understand. Specially the 5th step... how do I push the CPU safely? Thank you very much for your help!

59641c66467f7_Screenshotfrom2017-07-1018-25-43.jpg.8d149dc8b54f686549675275a6ecdf9f.jpg

7 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

Hello everyone! I'm in the process of building a desktop and I'm reading the Asus Maximus IX Code user's manual. In the CPU installation section it shows some instructions to use the installation tool that is included with the motherboard. I was searching on Youtube trying to find a tutorial clear enough that shows how to mount the CPU on that tool. The thing is that I'm not sure if it is safe to press the bottom of the CPU until both sides click and the CPU is fixed in the tool. This is the part that I don't understand. Specially the 5th step... how do I push the CPU safely? Thank you very much for your help!

59641c66467f7_Screenshotfrom2017-07-1018-25-43.jpg.8d149dc8b54f686549675275a6ecdf9f.jpg

hold CPU by the corners (not touching the pins) flip it as directed line up the corners as shown in step 4 drop it softly in place snap clamp back onto the CPU

mainly worry about lining up the corner and the gold pins to the gold inserts. quote me if you're still confused.

2 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

hold CPU by the corners flip it as directed line up the corners as shown in step 4 drop it softly in place snap clamp back onto the CPU

Thanks! Just dropping it is enough? Will it be firmly fixed to the installation tool if I flip it back? 

2 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

Thanks! Just dropping it is enough? Will it be firmly fixed to the installation tool if I flip it back? 

typicaly on a cpu you set it in place to get it ready (lining up the corners) then when you push the clamp down on the cpu it pushes the pins into the slots.

so you put it in place clamp it down you should hear a weird crunching sound then you lock the clamp in place and you're done (don't drop it as a side note make sure it is gently assisted into place)

Forget the tool and just hold the chip by the edges at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. There are a million examples on YouTube.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

5 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

if you're conserned send me a pic of the cpu/ board and i can show you exactly how to do it and i can link you a youtube video of the exact way to do it or draw a representation

Just now, Atra1n2 said:

I skipped using the tool entirely, just another way to complicate what should be otherwise relatively easy.

1 minute ago, asand1 said:

Forget the tool and just hold the chip by the edges at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. There are a million examples on YouTube.

^^ dont use the tool hold it by the corners with your fingers

1 minute ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

typicaly on a cpu you set it in place to get it ready (lining up the corners) then when you push the clamp down on the cpu it pushes the pins into the slots.

so you put it in place clamp it down you should hear a weird crunching sound then you lock the clamp in place and you're done (don't drop it as a side note make sure it is gently assisted into place)

Oh ok but I was referring to the positioning of the CPU on the installation tool not in the motherboard. I mean I first have to fix the CPU to that tool and I don't know if I have to push it as show in the 5th step. 

Just now, eera5607 said:

Oh ok but I was referring to the positioning of the CPU on the installation tool not in the motherboard. I mean I first have to fix the CPU to that tool and I don't know if I have to push it as show in the 5th step. 

don't use the tool use your fingers and put it in place yourself lining the pins to the slots then clamp the clamp onto the cpu.

1 minute ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

Oh ok. Do you suggest that I just forget the installation tool and put the CPU right into the motherboard without the tool?

1 minute ago, eera5607 said:

start the video at 4:30

Just now, eera5607 said:

Oh ok. Do you suggest that I just forget the installation tool and put the CPU right into the motherboard without the tool?

yes look at the video i linked it shows you how to do that

1 minute ago, eera5607 said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

DO NOT USE THE TOOL, IT OVERCOMPLICATES THINGS AND INCREASES THE CJANCE OF SCREWING UP AND BENDING A PIN. Are we clear now?

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

7 minutes ago, asand1 said:

6 minutes ago, Atra1n2 said:

I skipped using the tool entirely, just another way to complicate what should be otherwise relatively easy.

5 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

:S:/ I have to follow the user's manual! :| :) Thanks for the video, I will try do it that way (without the tool :|)... thanks!!

2 minutes ago, asand1 said:

DO NOT USE THE TOOL, IT OVERCOMPLICATES THINGS AND INCREASES THE CJANCE OF SCREWING UP AND BENDING A PIN. Are we clear now?

:D:D Understood! Thanks! 

Just now, eera5607 said:

:S:/ I have to follow the user's manual! :| :) Thanks for the video, I will try do it that way (without the tool :|)... thanks!!

no problem if you have any more questions while building your computer don't be afraid to contact me and ill be glad to help in the constructing process

21 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

start the video at 4:30

haha so actually in that video he said that "some motherboards include tools for installation but I don't recommend using them"... The video is from an official Asus channel and my Asus motherboard includes a tool that its Youtube channel do not recommend to use. So the answer to my question: "What is the correct use of the CPU installation tool?" is: the correct way is not to use it. :S

3 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

haha so actually in that video he said that "some motherboards include tools for installation but I don't recommend using them"... The video is from an official Asus channel and my Asus motherboard includes a tool that its Youtube channel do not recommend to use. So the answer to my question: "What is the correct use of the CPU installation tool?" is: the correct way is not to use it. :S

I've never used it, I think that with it it's way more difficult.

32 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Agreed, the tool can help reduce the unlikely case of dropping the CPU on an angle into the socket damaging the pins because you have a slightly better grip on the CPU. The instructions aren't very good and overall it doesn't make the process easier.

There have also been reports of the mounting tool having deformations and burs resulting in incorrect mounting of the cooler afterwards.

It was an interesting idea in theory, but overall did not achieve what it was intended to do.

14 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

They were referring to the tweezer like installation tools, but the answer is still the same.