2 DSL ISP's in 1 house

Jerochy
Go to solution Solved by The Benjamins,
4 minutes ago, Jerochy said:

Hey guys,

I got a bit of a weird one today for you. I'm in a strange situation where I could really use a second DSL connection in my house. My parents have a verizon plan for only 15 dollars a month that we've had since 2007. It is absolutely terrible. I peak download 120kbps. My parents don't want to upgrade though as it suits their needs to just browse google occasionally and, if we did upgrade, verizon no longer offers that plan for 15 and we'd lose that "deal". 

I'm also the cable box is in a complicated situation where basically cable internet is out of the question. 

So I found this other ISP that is available in my neighborhood who offers decent internet for standard to a little pricey prices: http://www.ironton.com/residential-services/featured-packages

My question is, would I be able to have 2 DSL ISP's going to the same house? 

Thanks

In some cases, like a condo, they share a line to the house so only 1 service can be active at one time. but if it is not shared then yes you can.

you can either have 2 separate networks or use a router like ubiquitys edgerouter and use both connections for the same network (set up for speed increase or fail over.)

Hey guys,

I got a bit of a weird one today for you. I'm in a strange situation where I could really use a second DSL connection in my house. My parents have a verizon plan for only 15 dollars a month that we've had since 2007. It is absolutely terrible. I peak download 120kbps. My parents don't want to upgrade though as it suits their needs to just browse google occasionally and, if we did upgrade, verizon no longer offers that plan for 15 and we'd lose that "deal". 

I'm also the cable box is in a complicated situation where basically cable internet is out of the question. 

So I found this other ISP that is available in my neighborhood who offers decent internet for standard to a little pricey prices: http://www.ironton.com/residential-services/featured-packages

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Jerochy said:

Hey guys,

Thanks

In some cases, like a condo, they share a line to the house so only 1 service can be active at one time. but if it is not shared then yes you can.

you can either have 2 separate networks or use a router like ubiquitys edgerouter and use both connections for the same network (set up for speed increase or fail over.)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

So are you saying if you have one phone line entering your house you can have two internet providers? Because I was under the impression you could not. Or if you wanted two connections you had to use the same provider. As only one could use the last mile. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I guess you could always ask them to run another phone line alongside the existing one, it should be pretty cheap. 

I was in the same situation with you, maxing out at 360 KB/s, now I've got fiber cables :D 

Just now, Septimus said:

I guess you could always ask them to run another phone line alongside the existing one, it should be pretty cheap. 

I was in the same situation with you, maxing out at 360 KB/s, now I've got fiber cables :D 

Doesnt always work that way. Some times all the slots for phone lines are full in the area. Or they dont have the capacity for more DSL connections. Keep in mind. Verizon is no longer focused on its copper infrastructure. I honestly dont think they will run another line. But you can try. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.