Future free Windows? Video inside

Ginger_

I thought this was a rather interesting video that makes a lot of sense, I would of been skeptical before the release of 10s but, it looks like they are going the way he points out in the video. Anyway, what do you guys think about it?

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

When the OS is free you are the product. 

Companies like Apple charge you for the device to cover for the services that you get with their products. (is explained in the video) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I'd rather pay up than see Windows implementing ads into their OS and gunking it up with spyware.

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

Well, when the approach of releasing software every so often but charging what a lot of people think is "expensive" no longer works, you have a few options:

• Charge for support, including updates and access to official software repos (e.g., what Red Hat does)
  • Become a hardware company and tell all the clones to piss off
  • Have somewhat dubiously useful microtransactions out the rear
  • Get a store environment that's sustainable
  • Deliver it with ads or bloatware.

But I would be inclined to agree that aside from games, traditional software business models don't really work anymore.

it's going to likely be Freemium. You can have it for free but if you pay you can remove ads and to "unlock" "premium" "features".

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

you are the product

How else is Mark Zuckerberg worth over 60 billion dollars? No way Facebook sells any of your personal information or habits, no way...

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

Windows 10 is already 99% functional for free (you can't use the personalisation options (which can be bypassed with the right click menu) and have a big watermark (which can also been disabled if you google enough) in the bottom right corner) and microsoft is still making money from these non activated installs via all the telemetry they harvest from them.

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

When the OS is free you are the product. 

Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Backtrack/Kali, AOSP's Android

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I meant as OS worth using :D

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I meant a product worth using :D

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Backtrack/Kali,

I think what I said flew right over your head. 

Any version of Linux will never break even MacOSs Desktop/Laptop market share. It has 0 infrastructure and 0 services that people want. Its great if you want to stick it to MS or tinker around in the command line, but most people have better things to do   

Yeah just use W10 and do not activate it, completely legal.

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Any version of Linux will never break even MacOSs Desktop/Laptop market share. It has 0 infrastructure and 0 services that people want. Its great if you want to stick it to MS or tinker around in the command line, but most people have better things to do   

Huh, I could've sworn servers were something people wanted.

29 minutes ago, JerrBear said:

I'd rather pay up than see Windows implementing ads into their OS and gunking it up with spyware.

ahem... *nods to candy crush installed on most windows 10 PCs*

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

System76 is also doing rather good for themselves, as well as the Ubuntu variant of the XPS 13.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Not the average user, People want to use Servers, not make or own them. 

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I should select this as best response xD

I love kali and Ubuntu, havent messed too much with other distros besides raspberrian

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

11 minutes ago, fpo said:

ahem... *nods to candy crush installed on most windows 10 PCs*

doesnt it come pre installed on w10 now?

Just now, Ginger137 said:

I should select this as best response xD

I love kali and Ubuntu, havent messed too much with other distros besides raspberrian

I long to have just a Linux machine again, but that's something I'm not going to do to my HTPC, main rig, or Surface Pro. My slightly older Acer laptop is slated to be loaded with either Ubuntu or Xubuntu once I swap an SSD in there, but that's soo low on the priority list.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not the average user, People want to use Servers, not make or own them. 

I fully agree windows is easy, and convienient (hence why it's the most popular operating system)

However, it would be foolish to ENTIRELY write off the more refined Linux OS as useless to common users. Ubuntu, and the paid one (I think redhat) are useful as the free included Microsoft word competitor, and web browser is what I believe to be the 2 most commonly used programs. 

A lot of college students use Chromebooks for the same reason. (As I'm sure you know is a Linux distro.)

Linux is getting to a viable alternative, but isn't a 100% replacement in many cases. Gaming is really accelerating to becoming a viable system with Valve's push, and support also with a large indie development industry using programs like Unity that support Linux building like 123. 

2 minutes ago, Ginger137 said:

doesnt it come pre installed on w10 now?

It does. I may be considered a tin foil hat, but I watch Barnacules Nerdgasm, and learned how to remove a lot of that stuff on my windows 10 PC. 

There's like 1 or 2 other games or applications that are also pre-installed. I recommend following his tutorials to disable that stuff. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

but I watch Barnacules Nerdgasm, and learned how to remove a lot of that stuff on my windows 10 PC. 

you shoudn't have to do that on any reasonable OS

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

But if windows does continue down the path its going, stock windows is going to look a lot like a 2005 dell pc, preloaded with so much crap you can barely use it out of the box

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

LOL

W10 reset security settings to wide open upon updates.

Billy Boy is a greedy greedy pig!