6700k/7700k upgrade or nah?

Since the 6600k is bottlenecking my 1080 at 1440p in some games (Sadly, those games are the ones i play the most), i think it's time for me to upgrade. Will the 6700k last me for at least 2 years without any kind of bottleneck?

Also, in case i decide to upgrade, should i use the 7700k with my current z170 or just get the 6700k?

19 minutes ago, chris76816 said:

Update the bios and buy the i7 7700k

This should only be considered if the price is identical since the 7700k is just a 6700k with 4K Netflix DRM and awful TIM.

Which motherboard is the question( in terms of BIOS Update)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I upgraded my 6600k to a 7700k using a ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger z170 motherboard. I have had not issues, except that the 7700k runs extremely hot, even with custom loop water cooling. I am not even comfortable overclocking it until i get it delidded.

I don't think 7700k runs much hotter than 6700k, it is simply running at higher clocks. I don't have any have any hard evidence for this statement though.

@rasmuskrj I know right? But when we lead towards the iGPU improvements almost nothing changed

also when both are paired with 1080 Ti (Linus did this) they both are almost the same at FPS, so what i get from this 7700K upgrade is you only get slightly higher clock speeds than Skylake

but i appreciate your synthetics on the CPU upgrade, good job!

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

This should only be considered if the price is identical since the 7700k is just a 6700k with 4K Netflix DRM and awful TIM.

It's not so much the TIM as the excess adhesive.  I wrote about it here

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

46 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

@rasmuskrj I know right? But when we lead towards the iGPU improvements almost nothing changed

also when both are paired with 1080 Ti (Linus did this) they both are almost the same at FPS, so what i get from this 7700K upgrade is you only get slightly higher clock speeds than Skylake

but i appreciate your synthetics on the CPU upgrade, good job!

Yes I believe the IPC for Skylake and Kaby lake are completely the same. If you can overclock a 6700k to 4.5Ghz(which you almost certainly can) then you basically have a 7700k, without the 4k streaming feature and whatnot(which are dependent on the motherboard chipset anyway).

The only real benefit of the 7700k is that you can overclock it even higher than the 6700k, IF you can keep it cool. My 7700k hits 5Ghz with around 1.29v(goes a bit higher when tweaked by LLC) but it can hit 85C during gaming on a custom loop while overclocked. I am not comfortable with that :P

So there's no difference between the 7700k and the 6700k, other than the features that are mobo dependent anyways. If the 6700k runs cooler, why not go with that?.

As you already have a z170 i would be more inclinded to get the 6700k over the 7700k. Yes the 7700k can clock higher but it has awful TIM. Where as the 6700k didnt suffer these problems. I can get 4.6ghz on my 6700k and never goes above 60 in 1440p gaming paired with a 1080 hybrid

9 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

As you already have a z170 i would be more inclinded to get the 6700k over the 7700k. Yes the 7700k can clock higher but it has awful TIM. Where as the 6700k didnt suffer these problems. I can get 4.6ghz on my 6700k and never goes above 60 in 1440p gaming paired with a 1080 hybrid

Dont get me wrong the z270 platform is very good and comes with some nice extra's but Intel basically must have used peanut butter for TIM and hence why the 7700k runs hotter on less volts than skylake 6700k. If you really have big nuts get a 7700k de-lid it and replace it with liquid metal and then you have what the 7700k should have been in the first place.