Intel vs Ryzen Build for College Dorm Room Work/Gaming

Hey guys,

So I narrowed my choices down for a college work/gaming build to two different builds. The ultimate decision comes down to if I want to go with Ryzen or Intel. Which do you guys think will be the best build that will be able to keep up with my college work (My major will be computer science, so I expect my work to be more computer intensive), and be able to game when I need to? I am looking to be able to game at high/ultra settings, 60+ fps at 1080p. I would also like to add another RX 580 in the future, and overclock both the gpu and cpu. Thank you guys in advanced! 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nnfX7h

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pVN8cc

ryzen is probably the better all around cpu while the 7700k is better for gaming focused. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

ryzen is probably the better all around cpu while the 7700k is better for gaming focused. 

Things like CAD and editing will run much more smoothly on a 7700K than a 1700 thanks to better single-threaded performance. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

@Vicente Gomez What programs will you be dealing with?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

6 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Why the 850W PSU?

Preparing for a future crossfire

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Things like CAD and editing will run much more smoothly on a 7700K than a 1700 thanks to better single-threaded performance. 

lol yeah that isn't really true. i have worked alot with cad and better single core didn't do that much after you have a good enough single core performance. also what type of editing are you even talking about because video editing is known to leverage mutlicore quite well so i would have to disagree again. 

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

lol yeah that isn't really true. i have worked alot with cad and better single core didn't do that much after you have a good enough single core performance. also what type of editing are you even talking about because video editing is known to leverage mutlicore quite well so i would have to disagree again. 

Just now, charrst said:

I'd say 7700K. Better gaming performance, and programming tends to be more reliant on single-thread speed.

But it would be good to know what programs you will be using.

WTF there are like no 1070s

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Wouldn't the extra cores and threads make different programs run more efficiently? And wouldn't I be able to run more of them at the same time because of Ryzen?

1 minute ago, Vicente Gomez said:

Wouldn't the extra cores and threads make different programs run more efficiently? And wouldn't I be able to run more of them at the same time because of Ryzen?

idk about efficency but you could theoretically run more

Just now, Vicente Gomez said:

well yeah you would be able to run more programs at the same time if you have more cores like ryzen does. as for the program it does depend on if it is able to leverage muticore well. the reason i said that the ryzen cpu is the better all around cpu is because it has good single core performance and really good multicore performance while the i7 has better single core but is lacking in muticore performance.

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

3 minutes ago, charrst said:

I'd say 7700K. Better gaming performance, and programming tends to be more reliant on single-thread speed.

Will be using various IDE's like Eclipse and Brackets. I am attempting to go into Cyber Security, so I will be aiming to run different Virtual Machines running Kali Linux. I also want to set up a partition down the line, half of my harddrive being Windows 10 Pro, and the other half being Mac OS.

6 minutes ago, charrst said:

lets be honest here, with a rx 580 you wont be able to tell the difference in games.

Just now, Vicente Gomez said:

Will be using various IDE's like Eclipse and Brackets. I am attempting to go into Cyber Security, so I will be aiming to run different Virtual Machines running Kali Linux. I also want to set up a partition down the line, half of my harddrive being Windows 10 Pro, and the other half being Mac OS.

i would look into how well ryzen does with vms because i heard some people were having issues with that. i heard they were working on a fix to that issue too but i cant quite remember all the details. 

this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($102.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($714.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix - Prodigy M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Other: Windows 10 Pro ($30.00)
Total: $1574.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-04 00:15 EDT-0400

or this

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($292.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250M GAMING PRO Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($76.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($102.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($714.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix - Prodigy M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Other: Windows 10 Pro ($30.00)
Total: $1570.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-04 00:14 EDT-0400

btw ryzen overclocks ok on stock

5 minutes ago, Vicente Gomez said:

You would, but I was clearing up a misconception that more cores = more performance everywhere. 

Programs like AutoCAD can use as many cores as you'd like, but they don't use multi-threaded functions often so you have to go with faster cores versus multiple slower cores.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

You would, but I was clearing up a misconception that more cores = more performance everywhere. 

Programs like AutoCAD can use as many cores as you'd like, but they don't use multi-threaded functions often so you have to go with faster cores versus multiple slower cores.

what are you doing in AutoCAD where it will actually matter? I mean saying having better single core is better because multicore isn't leverage doesn't make it true. I mean if you have sufficient single core performance often times going above that doesn't result in any better performance.

what are you doing in AutoCAD where it will actually matter? I mean saying having better single core is better because multicore isn't leverage doesn't make it true. I mean if you have sufficient single core performance often times going above that doesn't result in any better performance.

Using multiple cores doesn't make a program multi-threaded. Using more cores, like BF1 and AutoCAD, is to offset and split all single-threaded functions for minimal downtime, i.e. each core gets a function to do vs cores A and B work on function 1 and cores C and D work on function 2.

AutoCAD will use as many cores as you give it, but most of it's functions are single-threaded. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

if you really hate the school

CPU: AMD - FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($135.33 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: SilenX - EFZ-92HA2 54.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($12.94 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - 990FXA-GAMING ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($141.95 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Patriot - Signature 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($92.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Mushkin - Reactor 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($159.75 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($558.05 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($558.05 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Solid Gear - 900W ATX Power Supply  ($60.12 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1836.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-04 00:27 EDT-0400

Using multiple cores doesn't make a program multi-threaded. Using more cores, like BF1 and AutoCAD, is to offset and split all single-threaded functions for minimal downtime, i.e. each core gets a function to do vs cores A and B work on function 1 and cores C and D work on function 2.

AutoCAD will use as many cores as you give it, but most of it's functions are single-threaded. 

yes but what I am saying is even if you get faster single core performance that doesn't mean it will matter. its like having a pcie ssd vs a sata ssd for a boot drive and all you do is browse the internet. are you really going to see any notable difference? probably not. that same is true for cad programs and single core performance.

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Snip

The same is true for everything. Why spend for two extra cores that may not make an appreciable difference day to day. Better to put that money elsewhere (for example RAM or storage) where the difference would make more sense.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The same is true for everything. Why spend for two extra cores that may not make an appreciable difference day to day. Better to put that money elsewhere (for example RAM or storage) where the difference would make more sense.

Yes but the r7 1700 has a better a little worse single core performance but much better multicore performance. That makes it seem like the better pick to me. Also idk what you mean when you say something isn't multicore of you can split up the task to multiple cores. If it can be split up between multiple cores and isn't sequential then it is a multicore workload. 

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yes but the r7 1700 has a better a little worse single core performance but much better multicore performance. That makes it seem like the better pick to me. Also idk what you mean when you say something isn't multicore of you can split up the task to multiple cores. If it can be split up between multiple cores and isn't sequential then it is a multicore workload. 

Single-threaded workloads can't be split, but you can feed one to each core to distribute the load evenly (Battlefield's bullet physics is my favorite example for this). Multi-threaded functions don't have many dependencies on timing and can be split without degradation or loss of integrity (unless an earlier solution came too late, i.e. some AI engines (think of an AI running forward a few paces only to turn around to their original path). 

When most benchmarks test single-core, they act upon only a singular core, but many programs (again Battlefield) are able to send single-threaded functions to each core to speed up the process to get the most performance out of those Fns. 

Again, single-threaded means the functions stay and finish on a single core, but doesn't mean that the program will only assign those Fns to that single core, a la Battlefield (you can try opening a private server and firing a machine gun and you should see multiple cores increase their usage (each core is tracking a different sequential Fn or bullet).

Multi-threaded means that the Fn can be split into parts with no degradation, a la Battlefield's destruction physics, [to be combined or stalled until a solution can be reached.]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Single-threaded workloads can't be split, but you can feed one to each core to distribute the load evenly (Battlefield's bullet physics is my favorite example for this). Multi-threaded functions don't have many dependencies on timing and can be split without degradation or loss of integrity (unless an earlier solution came too late, i.e. some AI engines (think of an AI running forward a few paces only to turn around to their original path). 

When most benchmarks test single-core, they act upon only a singular core, but many programs (again Battlefield) are able to send single-threaded functions to each core to speed up the process to get the most performance out of those Fns. 

Again, single-threaded means the functions stay and finish on a single core, but doesn't mean that the program will only assign those Fns to that single core, a la Battlefield (you can try opening a private server and firing a machine gun and you should see multiple cores increase their usage (each core is tracking a different sequential Fn or bullet).

Multi-threaded means that the Fn can be split into parts with no degradation, a la Battlefield's destruction physics.

It sounds like you said you are splitting up different sequential tasks between cores. Unless the cores have to wait on each other because the different sequential tasks are also sequential with each other that would still make it a multicore workload. All multicore workloads have sequential tasks in them but they try and split them up as much as possible before they become dependant on each other. So unless you are saying they are splitting up tasks that are dependent on each other in don't really see your point. Also what programmer would split up dependent tasks to multiple cores when it won't speed up the process.