Upgrading CPU

I currently have an i5 4690k clocked at 3.9ghz, a gtx 1070 and 8gb ram clocked at 1866mhz. I wanted to know the actual benefits I would have of upgrading to a processor such as the i7 7700k and getting 16gb of DDR4 ram clocked at 3000mhz. I mainly game on my current system and wanted to know how much of a difference I will see in performance. Not just in gaming, but overall is there any point in me upgrading now or should I wait for the next generation of intel cpu's. I play a lot of games, so I would just be looking for a noticeable boost in fps in all of my games.

Well I'm noticing my computer is getting slower and doing simple file transfer whilst keeping open lots of applications and tabs is having a big impact on my system performance. I'm pretty sure it's either my ram (lack of it) or processor.

Just now, JumboWumbo said:

Well I'm noticing my computer is getting slower and doing simple file transfer whilst keeping open lots of applications and tabs is having a big impact on my system performance. I'm pretty sure it's either my ram (lack of it) or processor.

what does task manager look like?

Id get ram first

uppign to 16gigs of RAM might do more. ALso if you don have an SSD try it out. Made my old i5 3350P boot up like a dream. Opening programs is scary fast now.

Well, my task manager is saying I'm using 5.3gb out of my 7.9gb. And if I'm going to upgrade my ram, I might as well upgrade the lot whilst I'm at it.

Untitled.png

1 minute ago, JumboWumbo said:

File transfers with lots of applications open is related to storage (HDD and SSD) and RAM, not CPU.

I would recommend more RAM and an SSD if you don't have one already.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

That's the thing, I do have an SSD and it has plenty of space.

I would definitely get more ram because I started with a single 8gb stick of ram and after getting another 8gb stick of ram the problems I was seeing with performance slowdown went away.

1 minute ago, JumboWumbo said:

That's the thing, I do have an SSD and it has plenty of space.

I wasn't talking about space.

Like others have said, I would try another 8GB of RAM, that will surely help.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Alright, I currently have 2x4gb sticks clocked at 1600mhz. There isn't room for 2 more sticks because of my cpu cooler, so could I just get an 8gb 1600hz stick and put it between the two. 

Just now, JumboWumbo said:

Alright, I currently have 2x4gb sticks clocked at 1600mhz. There isn't room for 2 more sticks because of my cpu cooler, so could I just get an 8gb 1600hz stick and put it between the two. 

you could do that, but best to run your ram in dual or quad channel depending on what your mobo offers. If your mobo only has dual channel than adding another stick might not make the impact you would like. It would be better to get 2x8gb sticks instead. If your interested in upgrading the cpu as well, go for it. Why not right? If you just want the slowness to go away, I would start with upgrading the ram and make sure your cpu can support ddr4 because according to intel ark it only supports ddr3. It wont make a difference if your using ddr3 or ddr4 for gaming, it's more important to run your ram in dual/quad channel for best performance gains. 

Tbh … this sounds more like you trying to find reasons to spend more money because you want a more current rig. Seriously, your CPU is not the issue. A 7600k might give you an estimated performance increase of maybe 15%. Considering you'd have to buy cpu, mainboard and ram those 15% (and you only get those under max load) come at quite a steap price. Bear in mind that LGA1151 will possibly be replaced soon so you don't really benefit from that from a future proofing point of view. You need more RAM, that's plain and simple and it will come at about half the price DDR4 would cost you. 

If you really want to get the last bit out of your mainboard the try and find a 4790k but bear in mind that they're still pretty expensive (300€ and up around here). Those chips will get you near 7700k regions (maybe ~10–15% slower).

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!