I modified my stock OEM fans to run on 5 Volts instead of 12 due to noise, will I benefit from buying new, good fans?

JorenBus

So I have a S340 case with 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans. 2 fans came with the case itself and I got the 2 other fans from another case.

They were really loud in the beginning so I modified them so that they run on 5 Volts instead of the usual 12 Volts, making them much more silent but also move less air.

All the fans are connected to Molex connecters on my PSU.

Now I'm wondering if I would benefit from buying 4 new decent fans (Pure Wings 2) or not.

My GPU is getting pretty hot (83°C) so would it make a big difference?

When I place a piece of paper on my exhaust fan it hovers maybe 0,5 cm.

Any advice?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

4 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

So I have a S340 case with 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans. 2 fans came with the case itself and I got the 2 other fans from another case.

They were really loud in the beginning so I modified them so that they run on 5 Volts instead of the usual 12 Volts, making them much more silent but also move less air.

All the fans are connected to Molex connecters on my PSU.

Now I'm wondering if I would benefit from buying 4 new decent fans (Pure Wings 2) or not.

My GPU is getting pretty hot (83°C) so would it make a big difference?

When I place a piece of paper on my exhaust fan it hovers maybe 0,5 cm.

Any advice?

Yes, new game will make a difference. Stick fans can such. Generally, it's better to plug the fans into the MB and control then that way. So when the heat rises, the speed increases.

Is look into something from Corsair or Cougar. They are my favorites. Cougar is more affordable.

3 hours ago, JorenBus said:

-snip-

Your R9 280 hitting 83 degrees is a bit extreme, when I had my 280X's in xfire they never reached that temperature lol. I'd probably invest in a couple of good fans, 1 intake and 1 exhaust should do it. Any reputable fans will do, I personally love Fractal Design Venturi fans myself, but Noctua, Be Quiet! and that are really good also.

14 hours ago, SuperShires said:

Your R9 280 hitting 83 degrees is a bit extreme, when I had my 280X's in xfire they never reached that temperature lol. I'd probably invest in a couple of good fans, 1 intake and 1 exhaust should do it. Any reputable fans will do, I personally love Fractal Design Venturi fans myself, but Noctua, Be Quiet! and that are really good also.

Well I already have 4 fans, so I'm wondering if buying new, decent fans would actually make a difference.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

5 hours ago, JorenBus said:

Well I already have 4 fans, so I'm wondering if buying new, decent fans would actually make a difference.

Hmm not sure, maybe its just cause you're running your fans at such low RPM but that cant be the case as my fans run at like 500 RPM and my GPU and that don't hit temps quite like yours

What are the rest of your specs? 

What are your temps when running the case fans at 12v?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.