Intel i9-7980XE listed for 2370€ / 2650$ (coming 30.06.2017?)

Kukielka

Uhhhh and there's a point buying this? Like I'm a big believer in high core count chips, I need them for work and it's why I run a Xeon in my PC.

In saying that, why would you want one of these and not a Xeon? They're a bit cheaper sure, but if you can afford this you can probably afford (and justify) a real workstation chip. Threadripper makes more sense because it's likely a fair bit cheaper, so could actually be within reach for a normal human.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Yeah, that is more or less I expected too. But 7900X is "only" 999 euro includes VAT here, compares to US $999.

It is not uncommon to see the price in dollars being the same as in EUR, despite the exchange rate not being 1 and the EUR price including VAT. Although lately the Euro hasn´t been doing that well and prices tended to be higher in EUR than in USD (which still makes things more expensive in Europe in real terms).

However, I've been seeing strange things lately in terms of pricing. Ryzen launched at much higher prices in Europe, and once they moved away from MSRP prices have been all over the place, some CPUs higher in EUR, some CPUs higher in USD, and not necessarily by small margins,. Which means that the price/performance comparisons in the US don't apply to, say, Germany, and vice-versa...

16 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It is not uncommon to see the price in dollars being the same as in EUR, despite the exchange rate not being 1 and the EUR price including VAT. Although lately the Euro hasn´t been doing that well and prices tended to be higher in EUR than in USD (which still makes things more expensive in Europe in real terms).

However, I've been seeing strange things lately in terms of pricing. Ryzen launched at much higher prices in Europe, and once they moved away from MSRP prices have been all over the place, some CPUs higher in EUR, some CPUs higher in USD, and not necessarily by small margins,. Which means that the price/performance comparisons in the US don't apply to, say, Germany, and vice-versa...

Yeah, before the euro tanked a couple of years ago. Products in Europe are similar in price in the US.

However, that rarely is the case anymore. Recently Sony launches a new camera A9, with price tag of US $4500. You know how much it costs in Europe? 5300 euro......

3 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Uhhhh and there's a point buying this? Like I'm a big believer in high core count chips, I need them for work and it's why I run a Xeon in my PC.

In saying that, why would you want one of these and not a Xeon? They're a bit cheaper sure, but if you can afford this you can probably afford (and justify) a real workstation chip. Threadripper makes more sense because it's likely a fair bit cheaper, so could actually be within reach for a normal human.

What kind of Xeon do you have?

I have a E5 2698A v3 (16c 32t AT 2.8GHz/3.2GHz) That's used for x264 and x265 rendering & gaming.

The only reason I'm looking at the i9 7960x is for the AVX512. But I haven't seen any benchmarks when compared with AVX2.

Just now, cornbreadman said:

I have a E5 2698A v3 (16c 32t AT 2.8GHz/3.2GHz) That's used for x264 and x265 rendering & gaming.

The only reason I'm looking at the i9 7960x is for the AVX512. But I haven't seen any benchmarks when compared with AVX2.

Just a baby 2670 because it was dirt cheap and I needed the cores for 3d raytracing and such. 

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

5 hours ago, cornbreadman said:

The 16c part won't be available until either late Q3 or early Q4, so it's a tad hard to benchmark it.

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Damn $2650 that's a hefty consumer price. I know they were tray prices before but if the 16 core threadripper really is $850 you'll be able to buy 3 and still have change for a motherboard xD I think threadripper will sell well.

And with AVX2 equipped, I could build another video render machine! xD

12 minutes ago, cornbreadman said:

And with AVX2 equipped, I could build another video render machine! xD

Depending on where the pricing comes in, it's actually quite possible one could build two of 12c Threadripper systems for the cost of 1 18c SK-X system. And you could get the LTT discount for Synergy!  (haha)

But that depends a little bit on your workflow.

Realistically, if you're going the two Comp approach, getting a i7-7820X system for the main Editing system, then using a 16c Threadripper system for render tasks would probably the most effective & cost-efficient approach.  Get the best of both worlds. :)

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think the 7820X not having 44 lanes is the biggest problem with the SK-X stack. Even the common tasks you'd want to do for high-end production is going to scale off beyond 8 cores. (It's part of the reason the Ryzen 7s are so effective for their cost.) A high-spec 7820X on a good cooling system will give you the best single-core to 4c thorough-put, then you can offload the "NEED MORE CORES!" tasks to a 16c Threadripper secondary computer.  At the currently expected prices, with motherboards, you'd probably still saving money compared to a 7980XE system.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned MSRP here lol. Intel suggested that retailers sell it for their recommended price, but retailers obviously will sell it to make a profit from it.

Where I'm from, I've spoken to the people in the computer store I usually frequent (Canada Computers for anyone in the Ontario/Quebec area), and was told they most likely won't stock these CPU's, and they'd have to be specially ordered because they know their market very well. They made the mistake stocking expensive i7 CPU's that still haven't sold, and probably won't want to make the same error with these chips. Threadripper would probably be on the same token.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 hour ago, Hiitchy said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned MSRP here lol. Intel suggested that retailers sell it for their recommended price, but retailers obviously will sell it to make a profit from it.

Where I'm from, I've spoken to the people in the computer store I usually frequent (Canada Computers for anyone in the Ontario/Quebec area), and was told they most likely won't stock these CPU's, and they'd have to be specially ordered because they know their market very well. They made the mistake stocking expensive i7 CPU's that still haven't sold, and probably won't want to make the same error with these chips. Threadripper would probably be on the same token.

HEDT are, relatively, low volume parts. I imagine Intel sells a lot more Pentiums than they do X-series.  However, the value of HEDT is the Ecosystem for the company. Basically 1/2 of youtube's views are exported on Intel systems. Any time the computers come up? Intel comes up.  If in a year's time, "content creators" are all shifting over to AMD systems, it becomes a problem for Intel.  The Mindshare to Sales ratio for HEDT is quite high.

Which is also why if AMD's marketing department is smart, they'll start feeding Threadripper systems to "content creators" in around Christmas.